Is there anything wrong with setting an amp on top of computer?
Oct 29, 2010 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
I will be buying the Matrix M-Stage amplifier, and plan on putting it on top of my computer.  Is there anything wrong with this?

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 10
If there are some strong stray EMI/RFI within your computer (from PSU) then your amp may pick it up as noise. I've done it myself and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary under normal use. Looking at the amp in question I don't think you have to worry.

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
If there are some strong stray EMI/RFI within your computer (from PSU) then your amp may pick it up as noise. I've done it myself and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary under normal use. Looking at the amp in question I don't think you have to worry.

I have the Antec P180b, so the PSU is on the bottom.

All I'm concerned with is damaging the amp or my computer, really.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
How hot does your computer get? Amps need to dissipate heat, so putting one on top of something already hot won't help it cool off.

Feeling the top of it right now shows no signs of heat..

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 10
Only one thing I can think of that might be a danger to your amp... knocking it off the computer.
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 10
Vibration from the various fans, etc could conceivably affect sound quality (depending on whether or not you believe in that sort of thing of course! 
smile_phones.gif
).  If you are a believer, you could probably get around this problem by including some form of isolation feet/platform between the PC and the amp.

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Only one thing I can think of that might be a danger to your amp... knocking it off the computer.
tongue.gif

I've wrecked two external hard drives and an enclosure that way...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back