Is there any chance I will like MX 760 if I absolutely hate MX 500
Jul 17, 2010 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

millenium

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm in a need of new earbuds and after some research I suspect mx 760 is closest to what I'm looking for as it does seem to have good bass response and doesn't fatique ears. Having said that, a couple of years ago I had a chance to try out mx 500 and absolutely hated them - absolutely no bass and, in my opinion, too harsh highs as well as general lack of liveliness.

Now, my question is: is there any chance I will like 760 if I hated 500?

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, i don't know anything about mx500, but i have mx 760. Mx 760 is unique since it's my first ear bud with such a big sound stage and separation for a small units.

The high is bright. Mid is attractive. Very tight on bass, i don't think it has any bass boom at all. Perfect for listening rock, accoustic, and some pop music. ( sorry, jazz is not my fave). Details are clear and of high quality to me. For example, i listen to 'now we are here' by hans zimmer and lisa gerard of gladiator soundtrack, the mx760 gives that song it's brilliance justice. All percussions and accoustics are clearly defined and lisa gerard hauting singing style is spiritful. The song climatic style is shivering me.

Another description is 'psychosocial' by slipknot. I can hear all the 3 sets of percussion (1 drum set, and 2 percussion sets) clearly seperated.

santana's guitar heaven albums clearly played and brilliantly staged when using mx760. This is my first high end earbud that to my surprise very affordable. Please note: i didn'treally expect much at first but ended up loving it too much.

Hope it helps

If you're looking for bass driven unit, please look else where.

1 complain: the unit is a bit big for my ear so it hurts when listening over a long period of time, say more than 1 hour. I guess, that's -1 on comfort.

The build is solid. Love the 2 length cable sets. Becareful with the included wallet, the metal strips cut my finger when i was not paying attention.

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 5
I've got a  pair of Sharp branded earbuds  that I got with an old Sharp MP3 player that I recently bought on Ebay. The MP3 player has given me nothing but trouble, but I have at least been pleasantly surprised by the earbuds. After searching on the internet, I found out that they are rebranded MX400 earbuds. The MX400 and MX500 are supposed to be the same, except that the MX500 has got a volume control on the cord.

I also own the MX760, and I find these to be similar to the MX400 in sound, except for the fact that the bass on the MX760 is much stronger. I do like some bass, but for me the bass quantity on the MX760 can sometimes be too much. It is not a very well defined bass. More of a fuzzy, uncontrolled bass. I do prefer the more neutral presentation of the (rebranded) MX400. It has got lovely dry mids and for some reason the synergy with my old Creative Zen Touch is great. Perhaps you should keep synergy in mind. Sometimes lesser earphones can sound great with the right source.

Of course the MX760 are no bass beasts, but as earbuds usually are lean on bass, the MX760 does seem more bassy than most other earbuds.

If you are looking for earbuds with a lot of bass, I'd say that MX760 is the best option in the sub $100 bracket. There are more expensive ones with better bass response, such as the Blox TM5.

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 5
By the way, anyone has any info on MX980?

Quite a bit on Head-Fi about them; generally extremely positive. Problem with ear buds is that physical fit can affect the sound so finding a reviewer with similar preferences re. sound signature may not be enough. The main negative seems to be about their large size which may make getting an appropriate or comfortable fit difficult. Review here too from another site :
http://www.headfonia.com/high-end-earbuds-review/

Looks like in UK they might go up in price again after coming down to $120; Play have pushed price up first and expect Amazon to follow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back