is there a portable gear that acts as a player and dac without connecting it by usb
Nov 12, 2013 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
hello guys

I want to know if there is a portable player that can play music like flac files as analog files by itself and play the songs without me having to connect that player to a computer or a phone to get the analog outcome

thanks

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 19
Nov 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 19
thanks for the answer but how will that convert digital to analog i dont see anything that mentions analog here, my question was is there a player that has the capability to play songs and inside it convert digital to analog by itself not just a media player the like the sansa clip

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 19
thanks for the answer but how will that convert digital to analog i dont see anything that mentions analog here, my question was is there a player that has the capability to play songs and inside it convert digital to analog by itself not just a media player the like the sansa clip

Not sure what you're asking here but all DAPs and media players convert dgital signal to analog internally by using their DAC. What exactly is it you're searching for as it's not terribly clear.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 19
Ok what I understand so far is the following I have the fiio x3 which plays for example a song in flac format, so if I use the fiio x3 as a standalone player with my headphones on it it does not convert the flac file from digital to analog but just plays the flac file as digital.

When I connect my x3 to my computer as a dac and plac a song in flac format the x3 converts the digital flac song to analog

Am I right in my understanding

I noticed for example when I connect the x3 as a dac to my xperia z ultra to my car as a dac the song is more clear than when I listen to the same song when I connect the x3 to my car but not as a dac.

xperia z ultra --- x3 fiio as dac ---- song - great sound ( all listened to in my car )

x3 fiio as a stand alone player - song - not as great as above ( listened in the car )

So my question if according to u the x3 converts the song to analog then why in the first setting I hear the sound much clearer when I use the x3 as a dac

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 19
confused_face(1).gif
 you listen to digital music directly ?

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 19
Yes I want a player that I can store in songs in flac format and it directly covert those digital songs to analog and I listen to it with my headphones

I don't know may e my question is not making sense

So let me ask it this way

Lets say I have songs on my fiio x3 and I plug in a headphone will the x3 first convert those songs to analog or not before I hear them. I assume not.

So I am looking for a media player that converts my songs internally by itself from digital to analog when I just connect my headphones to it

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 19
All players convert music to analog.    You cannot listen to a digital file.

The sequence is:

Digital data  -->   Analog data  -->  Amplfiication --->  Output to speakers or headphones

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #9 of 19
You can listen to a file digitally...but it would sound like a series of nasty rapid high-pitched tones. I know because I stupidly connected my HD25s to the coax out of my DX50 for a few seconds before I remembered that the headphone out was on the bottom and not the top.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 19
i am more confused than before after reading the replies can someone explain to me what i posted question

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 19
When you are listening to your headphones plugged into your fiio the signal is analog not digital.
How are you connecting the X3 and your Xperia?
Were you using the Xperia as a transport to send the digital signal to your fiio?  Or is the fiio capable of receiving the analog output of your Xperia and then amplifying the signal in this case if it is possible (I do not know much about the fiio) the Xperia is performing the digital to analog conversion and not the fiio. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 19
whenever you use a DAP or your phone , they will always convert the digital 1 and zero of the music files to analog sound so that your ear can hear it , thus every single one of them actually have a digital to analog converter e.g a DAC

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 19
x3 fiio as a stand alone player - song - not as great as above ( listened in the car )

So my question if according to u the x3 converts the song to analog then why in the first setting I hear the sound much clearer when I use the x3 as a dac

I really don't know the answer to your question there, could be many things contributing why the sound is less clear such as when you're using the X3 as stand alone player, it may have to with the power section of the X3 being supplied with USB power over just running on the battery. I would recommend you find the member ClieOS on our boards and send him a PM msg asking your question. Explain to him what you're hearing in which mode. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 19
Do you mean a player that also acts as a dac when you connect it to a PC? If so, the fiio is the least expensive one I can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back