is there a portable amp that can power an AKG K701?
Aug 21, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 28
Have you read Boomana's wiki for new users? If you're trying to save money, focus instead on finding a used receiver. You can find them for free man times or up to about $50 at garage sales, Craigslist and thrift stores. AKGs need plenty of power.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 28
I use the Toucan SE with my laptop-AKG K601 its ok, can just about max it with the volume. It just about manages I guess, imagine the k701 isnt much different, balanced might be a bit better i would guess.
Might add that my £20 bravo tube amp does alot better to my ears.

Aug 22, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 28
K701 just isn't great for portable use. There are lots of combos that do better when portable, or sound close, but don't require toting around heavy amps and big headphones. 

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 28
I wonder how they'll sound on the upcoming sr71b? From it's description on the RSA site it sounds as if that amp will power almost anything, though the description could be exaggerated

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 28
I think pretty much every RSA amp has been hyped to be able to do everything and anything... they tend to start flooding the FS forums a few months after release.

Aug 22, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 28
The answer is ... YES/NO/Maybe. Why? because it will depend on:

1. Output level of your source 2 Vrms or higher is best.
2. How loud you listen, if someone like who listens at about 62-68 dB w/ peaks around 72 dB then you should be ok.
3. Are there loud external noises where you listen at? If in a quiet room you do not have to overcome the outside noises.

Having said the above I feel there are a few portable amps that can and will drive the K701 well, at least that  has been my experience.

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
I use the Toucan SE with my laptop-AKG K601 its ok, can just about max it with the volume. It just about manages I guess, imagine the k701 isnt much different, balanced might be a bit better i would guess.
Might add that my £20 bravo tube amp does alot better to my ears.

i don't understand why there are so many members here disappointed with the output of the toucan amp when it's clearly meant to be optimized via balanced. especially with an akg phone -_-

to OP, i can guarantee that if you balance your K701, which admittedly may not be right for your situation, the toucan will be more than adequate to handle the needs of that headphone

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #12 of 28

Quote:
i don't understand why there are so many members here disappointed with the output of the toucan amp when it's clearly meant to be optimized via balanced. especially with an akg phone -_-

to OP, i can guarantee that if you balance your K701, which admittedly may not be right for your situation, the toucan will be more than adequate to handle the needs of that headphone

Umm..where did I (or anyone else?) say I was dissapointed with the Toucan?
It is sold as BOTH single and balanced. I bought it to use 100% SE mode, have absolutley no intention on going balanced (way too much effort) and in its price range there is no other SE amp that can match its power, size and convenience (and availability!).

I agree it's full benefit is via balanced in/out, BUT you don't have to use the Toucan balanced to see its benefits over other portable amps.

Listening to my AKG with it last night, bit of Infected Mushroom, some Bjork - fantastic, money very well spent! I am very happy with it, and would defintitely recomment it for a SE use portable amp, plus Ibasso were really good to deal with imo.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 28

Quote:

Umm..where did I (or anyone else?) say I was dissapointed with the Toucan?
It is sold as BOTH single and balanced. I bought it to use 100% SE mode, have absolutley no intention on going balanced (way too much effort) and in its price range there is no other SE amp that can match its power, size and convenience (and availability!).

I agree it's full benefit is via balanced in/out, BUT you don't have to use the Toucan balanced to see its benefits over other portable amps.

Listening to my AKG with it last night, bit of Infected Mushroom, some Bjork - fantastic, money very well spent! I am very happy with it, and would defintitely recomment it for a SE use portable amp, plus Ibasso were really good to deal with imo.

Sorry, I suppose I misread your tone in your previous post when you described your combination as "its ok, can just about max it with the volume."  To me, ok implies average/mediocre, and I'm not sure if you meant maxing out your amp or headphone. In any case, glad you're happy

Aug 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 28
Its OK, sorry if I got a bit defensive, just I can get the volume dial on my PB1 toucan to maximum on high gain, which I cannot do on my bravo without bursting an ear drum. This is why I only said 'OK', which I think is realistic and is more truthful than saying 'OMG ITS AMZAZING' etc  lol. The little Toucan has still exceeded my expectations.

Obviously volume alone is no indication of sound quality, but the little tube amp is still to my ears sounds slightly 'better', provides that little extra bass and warmth which pairs well with the K601 imo. Buts its not portable..so I should stop mentioning it, but other than a receiver its the only other HP amp I have to compare the PB1 with.

Also, 'portable' and 'K701' is not a combination of words I would use together! I wouldn't take my AKG's outside, even though I have a PB1 I only bought it as it doesn't need external power so I can use my laptop in bed/sofa without cables everywhere. Maybe thats what the OP is intending...but as he/she hasnt contributed to their own thread its all speculation :)

I fancy a nice cup of tea now - who wants one?

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 28
I would look into the LISA III, the RSA Protector (balanced), and the iBasso Toucan (balanced). Also stay on the lookout for the RSA SR-71b (balanced).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back