Is there a be all, end all headphone?
Sep 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #31 of 73
For $450 or so, my recommendation for a complete setup would be the Maverick D1 with the NOS tube upgrade and a pair of AKG K701 headphones, they have good synergy together and give a lot of bang for the buck.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #32 of 73

Quote:
I has both, and wonder why I ever bought the damned TV in the first place lol. I use my headphones WAY more often than I do my TV... and my TV would have been a pretty source indeed.

To OP,

Personally I think it is best to do research within your budget, read lots of reviews, and make your mind up.

Buying used is a good choice.

I would suggest having 1 very good headphone over multiple poor ones. That way you will have more money to pocket, or throw in an amp/source.

At the end of the day you have a finite amount of money and time, and you can only ever listen to one headphone at a time (without some crazy DIY work that is :p)

So, get a nice universal headphone IE one that does most things correctly, like an HD 600, DT 880, get a decent used amp and enjoy for as long as you can! Phones that are too coloured will eventually bore you, while neutral ones will constantly leave you satisfied. 

I fear that you may be right...now about that LCD-2...
frown.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #33 of 73

Quote:
For $450 or so, my recommendation would be the Maverick D1 with the NOS tube upgrade and a pair of AKG K701 headphones, they have good synergy together and give a lot of bang for the buck.

That is if your ears can stand the sound of the K70X with its poor tone and overly large, uncohesive soundstage... :p Not to mention the weak bass

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #34 of 73

Quote:

That is if your ears can stand the sound of the K70X with its poor tone and overly large, uncohesive soundstage... :p Not to mention the weak bass

You beat me to it. I will definitely have to TRY the K70X cans to know if I like them. I need something that excels in pleasant music like Mozart and Miles Davis. And mathcore...
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #35 of 73

Quote:
I fear that you may be right...now about that LCD-2...
frown.gif

At this point in time, the LCD-2 is very much an end all phone. Not the only one, but it combines the strengths of many a head-fi classic, and bests just about any headphone out there in speed and natural sound.

Does tone properly like the HD 600 -but better, Does bass even better and more linear than the D7000, is quicker than the SA5K without sounding bright, soundstage is above average and imaging is possibly the best there is.... very hard to go wrong.

The T1 is another great all rounder choice from what I read.

They are 950$ however. That being said, you would never need to worry about another headphone, realistically speaking. Humanly speaking, I am sure something would eventually pique your interest.

950 is like double your proposed budget lol... but very much worth it if you will take the leap of faith. Not like you would have any trouble reselling should you somehow not like them either. They sell like hotcakes.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #36 of 73

Quote:
You beat me to it. I will definitely have to TRY the K70X cans to know if I like them. I need something that excels in pleasant music like Mozart and Miles Davis. And mathcore...
biggrin.gif

Mathcore? Protest the Hero, Dreamtheater, Meshuggah?

Crowded music like Protest the Hero or syphonies REALLY benefit from speedy headphones that have drivers that recover quickly. This allows them to better present dynamics, and a much more focused picture. If you ever have a heard time picking things out in a crowded song and the recording is decent, it is the headphone that is too slow to render things quickly enough.

If it sounds like the equivalent of a smudged pair of glasses, they are slow headphones. 

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #37 of 73

Quote:

[size=medium]
That's in your opinion; obviously there are many who care to differ. But I would agree that with the wrong amp the K701 leaves a lot to be desired. With the right setup though, it really scales. Maybe they just don't agree with you personally, or maybe you just haven't heard them with the right amp, but for many the K701 is second to none and a great value.
[/size]

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #38 of 73

Quote:

[size=medium]
That's in your opinion; obviously there are many who care to differ. But I would agree that with the wrong amp the K701 leaves a lot to be desired. With the right setup though, it really scales. Maybe they just don't agree with you personally, or maybe you just haven't heard them with the right amp, but for many the K701 is second to none and a great value.
[/size]

Thats why I said "if your ears..."

IE I hear them as I stated, but he may not.

Pretty sure the key characteristics I do not like of the K70X are pretty universally understood, they just appeal to some, and don't to others.

If you like the sound of the K70X they are indeed a good value. Less so if you consider the amping requirements some people deem absolutely necessary.

What kind of a deal is a 200$ headphone if you NEED 300$ + amplification for it to sound anything but shrill and hollow?

People also seem to think, for whatever reason, the K70X is the end all of detailed headphones, when objectively/subjectively that is not the case. Not saying it is the only headphone to have one, but there certainly is a cult following -which is not necessarily a good thing.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #39 of 73

Quote:
Mathcore? Protest the Hero, Dreamtheater, Meshuggah?

Crowded music like Protest the Hero or syphonies REALLY benefit from speedy headphones that have drivers that recover quickly. This allows them to better present dynamics, and a much more focused picture. If you ever have a heard time picking things out in a crowded song and the recording is decent, it is the headphone that is too slow to render things quickly enough.

If it sounds like the equivalent of a smudged pair of glasses, they are slow headphones. 

Converge? #12? Behold the Arctopus? 
biggrin.gif

...thus my Grado's!

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #40 of 73

Quote:
Converge? #12? Behold the Arctopus? 
biggrin.gif

...thus my Grado's!

IMO grado's are a terrible match for crowded music.

I loved my 325i to death... then one day I could no more. Just too crowded, too bright...  just a one trick pony like all Grado headphones. If you like that trick they are awesome though. Grunge sounds particularly good with Grado Headphones.

You would be surprised how clear that type of music can sound, no matter how quick or crowded with the right headphones. I would argue the Grado's bottleneck that type of music a fair bit, even if their EQ might be particularly synergistic. 

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #41 of 73

Quote:
IMO grado's are a terrible match for crowded music.

I loved my 325i to death... then one day I could no more. Just too crowded, too bright...  just a one trick pony like all Grado headphones. If you like that trick they are awesome though. Grunge sounds particularly good with Grado Headphones.

You would be surprised how clear that type of music can sound, no matter how quick or crowded with the right headphones. I would argue the Grado's bottleneck that type of music a fair bit, even if their EQ might be particularly synergistic. 

I find the midbass to be bloated in THAT kind of music but the percussion...oh the percussion
L3000.gif
, I needn't say much more.
But you are right. Bands like Nirvana (the album In Utero especially) sound great. Everything is crystal clear and then some.  

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #44 of 73
if you want a cheaper planar route than the lcd you could look into some Thunderpants (modded Fostex t50rp). It's true once you go planer, dynamic just never sounds the same. Heck just get a pair of t50's and see if you like them at all, they are really not that good out of the box but some small damping mods go aloooong way. theyre only 75$ imo a great deal with all their potential. Here is a quick link to the pair i put together. just scroll down to the pictures. putting together a TP does take some time and diy skill but you will be rewarded 4 fold.
Cheers, M
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501773/thunderpants-the-thread/555

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #45 of 73
If I had 650$ now and was in your position.I would save,save and save..You have to wait one month for lcd2 anyway.This is no flavour of the month but a technology breakthrough..A Headroom desktop micro amp is 399$ and has power to drive anything now and in the future..So for 1400$ you will have your be all and end all system.Just wait and save..The other phones mentioned on this thread are,old hat mediocracy and are no beallandendall..This kit can last you decades,make the right move mister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back