Is the "virtual haircut" an example of soundstage?
Jun 4, 2009 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

walkerrm

New Head-Fier
Hello gang, new guy trying to educate myself before my first purchase. I listened to the "virtual haircut" binaural recording with the only phones I have, iBuds. Even in the Buds, the auditory illusion seemed excellent. Is this spatial arrangement an example of what you refer to as soundstage? And if so, what does this say about soundstage? That it's mostly in the recording?

Just trying to familarize myself because I'm looking at somephones including Grados, and trying to make a informed decision

Thanks in advance.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 22
To answer the very small part of your question that I feel qualified to: The virtual barbershop is indeed a very well-engineered spatial recording, but even as such it benefits from a headphone with a better soundstage. It was impressive my stock sansa buds (bleh), but truly creepy with a pair of koss ksc-75's. I would say that soundstage is a function of both the recording and the headphone, but since you can only do something about the latter, people tend to focus on the headphone aspect. I could be totally wrong though.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 22
It's a binaural recording, essentially a stereo recording that emulates (either with software or using a dummy head to record) the effect the shape of human ears and heads have on sound and the role they play in being able to tell what direction sound is coming from. Also known as "virtual surround" or "holophonics".

Soundstage is the apparent size of a stereo image as presented by headphones or speakers. Indeed, the recording plays a big role too.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 22
The virtual haircut is binaural and does a great job of showcasing that effect. Soundstage is sort of related to that, but they're not the same.

For me, soundstage is being able to hear the placement, separation and location of performers on a recording. That usually works best when you listen to a live recording that has just two (or a minimum) of microphones used to record, and a minimum of studio processing. If you listen to a recording like that, your gear should place each performer on stage where they were and you should be able to easily distinguish the location of the oboe from the tympanis. That's soundstage.

You'll get something approximating soundstage on multitracked studio recordings. The difference is that the engineer mixed each track into a spatial location. When that's done, you miss out on all the great little auditory clues like reverb from the room, an audience, and much else that makes live recordings special.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 22
That recording is something different in my opinion. The recording sounds like you are in that room, no matter which headphones you use. I actually find my Grados to be the most accurate with that recording, and not my 880s. Grados are famous for a small soundstage while the 880s are known for having a somewhat large soundstage.

So in conclusion I don't think soundstage has much to do with that recording. It's more the method of recording and microphone setup. Research binaural if you want to know more.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 22
Binaural recordings are different, and the headphones aren't what causes the sensation of space. It is the recording method, as stated above.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This will sound 3d even with ibuds. It's recording, not the headphones.

The recordings is only one part, if you don't have a good presentation to monitor this recordings, you will not get the right space feel as fully 3D sphere.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There need to be more binaural albums............................

Absolutely...
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #14 of 22
This recording was designed with the idea that you have your earphones as close to your ear as possible, mic placement was according to that.

Therfore, ibuds would work better than an hd800 or akg k701 for that.

I'm saying that from experience...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back