Is the LCD-2 really fast but lacking PRaT ? How is that possible ? Recessed Highs?
Oct 20, 2010 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vonjuergen

Head-Fier
i´ve read that the LCD2 is fast but lacks PRaT - how is that possible & is it true ?

the lcd2 is also reported to have recessed highs. (i like hd600 / beyer highs)
beside EQ - is there a amp / dac / cable that will accentuate the highs ? 
if not i will go with the D7000

thank you

J

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
i´ve read that the LCD2 is fast but lacks PRaT - how is that possible & is it true ?

thank you

J

The LCD-2 don't lack PRat at all to me. I have noticed that many of the phones that are said to have very good PRaT generally do not do deep bass. The LCD's do deep bass very well which can give an impression of a slow bass but it is not the case as long as your source is good enough and they are amped well.
The highs are slightly recessed but unlike the HD650's they still extend very high. If you play a bright recording they will still sound bright. Only occassionaly will a recording sound dark to me and most of the time its produced that way. I might get the Whiplash Audio Twag silver cable in the near future maybe that will bring out the highs a bit more.

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 9
I wouldn't worry about it.  The LCD-2 passed my PRaT test with flying colours.  Is the treble recessed compared to others, yes.  Is it noticeable otherwise, no.  Its an interesting mix of speed and high movement with a freq resp thats down in the drive freqs.  So its recessed but aggressive which cancel each other out.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Yes, razor sharp.  Its kind of unbelievable but there it is when paired with a source and amp capable of delivering the same.

Oct 21, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 9
To me, the LCD-2s would only have recessed highs if you compared them to bright headphones. The LCD-2s are just accurate, if you like HD600s type of sound signature, maybe you should try out the HD800s. DACs, cables and amps shouldn't accentuate high frequencies, I hope not! But solid silver cables are supposed to improve high frequencies if the original cables are of inferior quality.  

Quote:

thank you

J

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
To me, the LCD-2s would only have recessed highs if you compared them to bright headphones. The LCD-2s are just accurate, if you like HD600s type of sound signature, maybe you should try out the HD800s. DACs, cables and amps shouldn't accentuate high frequencies, I hope not! But solid silver cables are supposed to improve high frequencies if the original cables are of inferior quality.  

With the stock cable, I too found the treble slightly too pushed back (NOT rolled off in any way), but with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon, the treble is now just perfect and they seem more airy in their presentation!

Just a perfect upgrade IMHO.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks, I read about that a lot in the LCD-2 thread, think I will look into that in a couple of weeks. 
regular_smile .gif

Quote:
With the stock cable, I too found the treble slightly too pushed back (NOT rolled off in any way), but with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon, the treble is now just perfect and they seem more airy in their presentation!

Just a perfect upgrade IMHO.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 9
Can't go wrong with a top of the line ortho! I only had a brief encounter with the LCD-2 but I thought they were great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back