Is the Hifiman HM-601 worth getting?
Dec 20, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #31 of 52
Do you consider Hifiman audiophile? cuz i think they are part audiophile and part rip-off.

As I also consider their Yuin earbuds to be rip-offs. I bought several pairs of them because I didn't know any better. 2 PK1s, 1 PK3, 1 OK1. 3 years later, I wish I didn't buy them. ~$200 better than $10 Sony earbuds? No way. Maybe $2 better if you have an amp. If you don't even have an amp for them, they're no better or worse (being so inefficient).

Quote:
1. Find dap that fits your lifestyle.
2. Find dap that fits your price range.
3. Find dap that fits your required features.

If all three don't matter, then go for the 'audiophile' players.

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #32 of 52
well, having never bought anything from hifi-man, I can't say anything about the 'audiophile' title. 
as for their DAPs, for me there are too many compromises in other areas for me to depart from my hard earned cash, such as size, UI, memory, battery time etc. 
However, I wouldn't necessarily call them defects due to their sound signature preference. but yeah, I can see the point that it may be a hit and miss synergy with different HPs and a hassle to deal with...

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #33 of 52
seeing them in reviews, i find them way too chunky for day to day use....

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #34 of 52

Quote:
seeing them in reviews, i find them way too chunky for day to day use....

I think with most DAPs there is always something missing, so if it was just the size issue I could live with that. but there are also others as I wrote to make it not worth while..for me that is.
otherwise, I use ipod + amp, and can happily live with the size personally. after some adjustments I have pretty much managed a good carrying method. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #35 of 52
Considering who the intended market is for the 601 and the other HifiMan daps I don't think size is the concern. Lots of people carrying around their dap with an amp which should be similar bulk. I can live with all the short comings except for the battery. My J3 has a much better battery which I've come to appreciate as of late.

The 601 does have some short comings such as battery, UI, iffy tag support, can only play 1 folder at a time but imo the sound makes up for it. I consider it the best dap I've heard and I haven't felt the need to add an amp to it. The bulk is a bit big for me but I carry my dap in my jacket pocket so it's not much of an issue. If it had a longer battery at around 20 hours or so it would be so much better.

Dec 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #36 of 52
I have been with my HM601 for the last 2 wks, and I have to say I absolutely love this player. Battery life aside, useless UI, slight bulk, finishing that loves dust and fingerprints, pathetic internal storage, plus I can't seem to fast forward individual tracks ... etc all this may sound like a huge waste of money and a disgusting con job by HIFIMAN. However for a portable player that is of the same size as an IQUBE amp or SR71a. I think it is great. I have been comparing this rig to a ipod classic with both the iqube and sr71a portable amplifiers, and I love the warmth and presence of the sound this player produces. I feel that it betters an ipod with any portable amp, probably due to the ipod itself as a transport. 

I have also been comparing the HM601 with an IMOD rig with external VCAPS and also amps like the SR71a and the IQUBE. I feel that the HM601 can stand it's ground with the IMOD rigs too. It is not that the IMOD/VCAPS/AMP setup is bad, however this kind of setup renders your portable into more of a transportable category, which you will never ever be able to squeeze into a pocket. Sound wise I do prefer the big IMOD rigs (just by a bit), but then again I'd better as those guys are at least 5 times the price of a HM601 and about 3 times bigger. Sound wise I do find that the IMODS portray/ render/ produce sound in their own particular way. Slightly more clinical and better for analytical listening. The HM601 produces a colored sound that is warmer, lush and engaging, that makes listening to music more enjoyable. This is also not to say that the HM601 isn't a detailed player. IMHO the player presents all the details of the music in it's own special almost "hifimanish," way. 

I think if you already have a good quality IMOD transport and are strapped for cash, you can just look elsewhere and save your money. If you are looking for a good sounding player, for much less monies than an IQUBE amp, this player is something to consider. Do note that at the end of the day, pursuing the headphone hobby is expensive, and reviews/comments are very much based on individual preferences, which may be as varied as religious views. The best is to find someone who lives close to you and have a try to make your own decisions.

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #37 of 52
Just to present the other side of a speculative argument on the nature of portable players, I'd say that one of th pitfalls of the previous arguments is that the HM-601 sound sig. cannot be completely replicated by a given pair of headphones, an amplifier, or equalizer software.  In that case, if it matches your sound preferences and you can live with the obvious flaws that have been mentioned enough in this thread then it should be a good match for you.  The second part is that this can be considered a "niche" product where if a majority of PMPs are flat and extended, the HM-601 would offer an alternative sound - which is similar to the discussion between tubes and solid state.

I'd say that if you can try it and like how it sounds, it will be worth the price.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #38 of 52
Some of you need to "listen to the music" before you speculate on the music based on "specs". I have the 601 and it's a great, no frills player. The iPod Classic 120, iTouch gen5, Nano don't come close in listening experience. I have used it with Shure SE530's, E5's, Grado 60s, 225s, 325s, Sens 580's, Beyerdynamic 880's and Sony 7502's. "Awsome" is the word on this unit. It's like replacing your lackluster home stereo with Conrad-Johnson components. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #39 of 52

Quote:
Some of you need to "listen to the music" before you speculate on the music based on "specs". I have the 601 and it's a great, no frills player. The iPod Classic 120, iTouch gen5, Nano don't come close in listening experience. I have used it with Shure SE530's, E5's, Grado 60s, 225s, 325s, Sens 580's, Beyerdynamic 880's and Sony 7502's. "Awsome" is the word on this unit. It's like replacing your lackluster home stereo with Conrad-Johnson components. 

Interesting claim considering there is no Touch 5th gen yet.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #40 of 52
It would be most likely that he misplaced the comma since he didn't specify what generation of NANO he was talking about.  It would make the most sense considering that there are more generations of nanos than of touches.

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #41 of 52

Quote:
It would be most likely that he misplaced the comma since he didn't specify what generation of NANO he was talking about.  It would make the most sense considering that there are more generations of nanos than of touches.

Hmm, I think you may be right.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #42 of 52

Quote:

x2
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #43 of 52

Quote:
Do you consider Hifiman audiophile? cuz i think they are part audiophile and part rip-off.

As I also consider their Yuin earbuds to be rip-offs. I bought several pairs of them because I didn't know any better. 2 PK1s, 1 PK3, 1 OK1. 3 years later, I wish I didn't buy them. ~$200 better than $10 Sony earbuds? No way. Maybe $2 better if you have an amp. If you don't even have an amp for them, they're no better or worse (being so inefficient).

This player is in no way "audiophile" in my opinion, it has a blatantly coloured sound that will appeal to many people because its sounds so different from the normal run of the mill DAPs, it all boils down to what your sound preference is.

This player had me hooked at the beginning then I began to see through all its flaws, it gives out a big and bold presentation but it clearly lacks in detail, every genre of music tended to sound the same through this player and it quickly became boring listening to music on my HM-601, this player isnt for everyone thats for sure.

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #44 of 52

Quote:
This player is in no way "audiophile" in my opinion, it has a blatantly coloured sound that will appeal to many people because its sounds so different from the normal run of the mill DAPs, it all boils down to what your sound preference is.

This player had me hooked at the beginning then I began to see through all its flaws, it gives out a big and bold presentation but it clearly lacks in detail, every genre of music tended to sound the same through this player and it quickly became boring listening to music on my HM-601, this player isnt for everyone thats for sure.

Not to mention most retail artist albums and compilations aren't even encoded at 24-bit/96Khz audio, right? If I'm going to invest in something like this, I expect it to be better than CD quality. For now, I'm living with my ALAC/AAC 320kbps library for now.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #45 of 52
I think you misuse the word 'audiophile'. Audiophiles are often the ones that want sonorous music rather than accuracy. Head Direct obviously didn't design this player for accuracy. It does sound good and overall, runs well. I am not its target market as I prefer more accuracy in the sound, but I understand its place in the market. It is a lot less of a pain to use than the T51. Both share the laid back Butterworth sound sig. I prefer this one, though wish its navigation was better.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back