Is the Hifiman HM-601 worth getting?
Feb 28, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #46 of 52
Quote:
I think you misuse the word 'audiophile'. Audiophiles are often the ones that want sonorous music rather than accuracy. Head Direct obviously didn't design this player for accuracy. It does sound good and overall, runs well. I am not its target market as I prefer more accuracy in the sound, but I understand its place in the market. It is a lot less of a pain to use than the T51. Both share the laid back Butterworth sound sig. I prefer this one, though wish its navigation was better.

I don't disagree with what you said in the front, though I can't say I hear the 'laid back Butterworth sound sig' on T51, nor did  I see the same roll off character in the FR curve.

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #47 of 52
It was the first thing I heard and it showed up in measurements. If things have changed in firmware, that would be interesting - in that Teclast implemented a firmware low pass filter that was stuck that they later fixed. There is nothing wrong with low pass or jigh pass filters, but if your hardware is capable of fuller resolution and you implement a roll off rather than a software solution (EQ), it's pretty cheeky. Pretty easy to teast for it.

Quote:
I don't disagree with what you said in the front, though I can't say I hear the 'laid back Butterworth sound sig' on T51, nor did  I see the same roll off character in the FR curve.

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #48 of 52
As far as I know from reading another measurement done by Soomal (a Chinese tech site specializes in measurement), they didn't notice any Butterworth-like roll off either, just the harmonic distortion due to the high output setting on the old firmware. They retested the new firmware and got a more linear result. Though I think I did read another review (besides your) about a softer top-end on the T51, but I didn't remember seeing a Butterworth-like roll off which is much more noticeable. It is much smoother as I remember it.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #49 of 52
From my recollection, the T51 had a slight treble roll off but nothing like the butterworth effect to be seen or heard.  2.3 opened up the top end and evened things out from what I actually heard.

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #50 of 52
Correct me if I'm wrong Shigzeo, but I seem to remember that the roll-off you measured was on the Headphone out, while the Line out was accurate. Maybe that's why you and ClieOS have different recognition of the sound.

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #52 of 52
how the hell can an mp3 player...an AUDIOPHILE GRADE media player not support playlists made on the player itself?!?  Did any recent updates add playlist support?  I don't want to have to create a folder myself for playlists and drop it in there because I also like to listen to my entire collection on shuffle...I'd have doubles and that is pretty lame.  I hope that got fixed :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back