Is the HD800 overpriced?
Jan 18, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #31 of 685
They are $1400 because people are willing to pay that for right now. If I had to guess, the R&D cost to create them was very high, and part of their budget was finding out what people would pay for them.

That being said, I highly doubt they are worth anything close to $1400 in terms of the construction build. You are paying for research and development in a small market, and for the honor of having the top of the Senn line.

Another way to think about it: A car can cost 2-3 times as much as another car without being 2-3 better in every way. When you buy a BMW, the cost is split between the construction, R&D, and for the name.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #32 of 685
I think they are heavily overpriced, as are high end grados, denons, and audio technicas.

In fact, it makes me cringe whenever I think about the price I paid for my headphone setup.

However, I do have to admit that I am enjoying these headphones more than any headphones I've ever had the pleasure to listen to and it is difficult for me to take these off my head.

So worth it? Maybe... but it would have been nice to just shell 700-800 for these instead of their price currently.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #34 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn profit making machine in full swing,even down to withholding supply to make sure that the perceived value remains high,not to mention limited dealers and a form of legal price fixing.

There practices stink and on that basis alone no-one should buy them,they treat the general public as cows with the intent to milk them dry.

I wonder if the next model will be priced a bit higher just to squeeze out the last drop.

They must have done a lot of research to find out which price point the market could sustain.Looks like the days of [perceived high end] phones under a $1,000 are gone,maybe we need another big blip in the market to sort things out a bit because no-one has learnt much from the last except all the poor people that lost there homes and savings.

Yeah, yeah bring on the violins, the only thing in full swing is your imagination your signaling Sennheiser out to be the only culprit in a sea of vultures.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #35 of 685
Yes... the HD800 is overpriced and should be selling for $999, at the very most.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #36 of 685
I believe the HD800 is overpriced. I know a retailer and he said they only cost about $800 direct from Sennheiser.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #37 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingInABlueDream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are $1400 because people are willing to pay that for right now. If I had to guess, the R&D cost to create them was very high, and part of their budget was finding out what people would pay for them.

You mean the consumer has to pay for Sennheiser's research into how much the consumer was prepared to pay?

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #41 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If people bought more senns instead of bose & skullcandy, the HD800 might be cheaper. With so much crap in the marketplace, it's expensive to develop and market a quality product.

I guess to make people (as in non-audiophile consumer who are the majority in this world) buy more senns/beyerdynamic, they have to spend much more on marketing to reach the non-audiophile music listener. That additional marketing will then again add to the cost and bring down the price/performance ratio.
confused_face_2.gif
- Most of my friends expression when they read the brand names of my headphone rig.
mad.gif
- My expression when they ask me, "If you are ready to spend so much, why didn't buy a bose headphone" ?

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #42 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A used Stax O2 costs about the same. I've heard them both. There's no comparison. My money will go to the Stax. The HD-800 is a very nice $700-$800. headphone, but that's all it is.

If one had to make a Stax setup from scratch what would one have to spend in order to get a decent setup and what compopnents would one select,the only thing I know about electrostatic setup is that Woo Audio makes good decent amps for them.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #43 of 685
PS1000 is more-$1675.? ,

JH13 is an iem for over $1000. and JH16 more too, new UE18 iem $1350 these are iems!

Don't get into Stax 02s that are $2000. plus if you have a dynamic set up you have to get an amp, preferable Blue Hawaiian for $5000.

I agree with the post earlier, my new dac cost ten times what my old dac cost, is it ten times better.....no but it is a lot better. Paying for technology and research is expensive, companies are here to make a profit and if we are willing to pay, they will continue to make better more advanced headphones which promotes this hobby. If we don't then we can just live with the status quo.

In the end though of course only the individual can tell if it is overpriced for them. I am by no means rich(very wealthy), i work in education with special needs kids and that is fairly low paying but I bought a pair and they have been worth it to me, so go figure huh.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #44 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If one had to make a Stax setup from scratch what would one have to spend in order to get a decent setup and what compopnents would one select,the only thing I know about electrostatic setup is that Woo Audio makes good decent amps for them.

looks like you'd need a new dac, then pick up some used stax, shouldnt cost more than $1000.

Should sound comparable to a hi-end dynamic setup.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #45 of 685
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathcpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face_2.gif
- Most of my friends expression when they read the brand names of my headphone rig.
mad.gif
- My expression when they ask me, "If you are ready to spend so much, why didn't buy a bose headphone" ?

That's down right funny. My wife already did that to me. haha
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back