Is Steve Jobs an Audiophile?
Mar 19, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #46 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ipod is a decent player. In fact, it's pretty much always been the best of the mass market players.

Well which is it? Is it a decent player or is it the best you seem to be contradicting yourself as "mass market" is just a cop out.

It is far from the best "mass market" player, just because something is marketed towards the retards in society of which there are many and it sells tens of millions does not make it good or even decent.

sheep240307_486x386.jpg

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #49 of 83
Anybody with a billion dollars at his disposal can buy any pair of headphones he likes, though I doubt a billionaire would feel much need to put on headphones when he could buy a whole system without limits.

What's a few grand to a billionaire, whether it's for headphones or loudspeakers? A billionaire with any taste, or someone capable of choosing for him, would have the best. That's what billionaires buy. They don't need more possessions. They have the ability to choose the possessions that are most personally satisfying to them, like vintage headphones or the headphones of some famous musician. When you're living at that level, it's not about the quantity. It's about quality.

And there's no such thing as a store. You don't shop. You have a personal assistant to whom you shoot an e-mail. "Get me an X."

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #50 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How iPod vs Walkman?

From time to time I hear people say that Walkman sound quality is wwwaaayyy better than that of an iPod.

And w/o Rockbox on the iPod, the Sony series of players is ions better. So yes, those people that say the Sony's sound better, are correct.

Sorry. The truth is the truth.

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #51 of 83
Sorry, it's not the truth, unless you like your sound highly colored. ipods are much truer to the recording than the digital sony players.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #52 of 83
Unless you have the actual original recording, on the actual original equipment, theres no way to know which is closest to the original. Especially as lots of music is mixed for ibuds these days (Ugh).
If the the walkman sounds better to you, then it IS better, to you. If the Ipod (which is really a vague term these days.. how many models are there - all with different sound signatures) sounds better to you, it's better to you.

Important to note the term was better, not most faithful, or to use a term that seems to have dropped out of favour here - High Fidelity.

Personally I prefer the sound of my Karma, but hey each to his own eh?

Anyhow, back to Jobs, I wouldn't say an empty room with hard surfaces like that would be an ideal listening environment, so probably not an audiophile. Buy hey, the photographer set up the shot well.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #54 of 83
I tend to use recordings I made myself or recordings of instruments I'm familiar with when testing gear. That way I don't have to wonder what it's supposed to sound like.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #55 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, it's not the truth, unless you like your sound highly colored. ipods are much truer to the recording than the digital sony players.

Incorrect, fully an assumption, typical fan boy propaganda. You people who try to pass your opinion off as truth or fact are pathetic.

You need to learn that it doesn't matter what you prefer or what you think sounds better as far as what is a better product. Different people have different personal guidelines as to what sounds good, thus making it very relative and not something anyone can pin point.

The correct way to evaluate a dap or a headphone is to give information on how it sounds aka ipods have a colder sound and emphasizes the mids and highs and a reces in the low mids and the low end.

This is good for some people who like that sound signature, it doesn't make it any better. If you make a bias view your opinion holds a lot less weight.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #56 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From time to time I hear lots of BS about lots of things.

From time to time I hear people say that they prefer driving their honda's to their ford mustangs. you see what I did there? I associated the Honda NSX with the econo-box baker honda and a known single product that is well regarded for straight line acceleration. Until you read this paragraph you said "well durr thats obvious" thinking about the civic and accord maybe even the prelude and CRX if you are old enough to remember them

I liked that. Unfortunately, these are the type of arguments being brought up by BOTH sides in this thread. Bravo....

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #57 of 83
I'm waiting for an example of Godwin's law in this thread. I'll give it maybe one or two pages unless moderator action is taken.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by alysony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm waiting for an example of Godwin's law in this thread. I'll give it maybe one or two pages unless moderator action is taken.

lol, anything is possible on head-fi.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #59 of 83
What's funny is I remember a post grad class I took and during one of the lectures we started talking about Godwin's law and how it could be applied to group think sessions (large class projects tended to be rather tedious and some names were called)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back