Is NuForce Icon HDP a good match for Denon 7000?
Oct 7, 2010 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kreisleriana

Head-Fier
I am in love with this headphone, and would love to find a perfect companion for it to drive the music even further.
This product has gained my attention. Would this work as a good DAC? Or could I choose something better for the similar price range?

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 19
Without having had an opportunity to session a pair of Denon AH-D7000s, but owning a Nuforce HDP amp/dac and Denon D5000 series headphones, I'd say the chance is extremely high that they will match very well, depending on how you plan on using them.  For me, a combination of the Denon's bass-heavy grit is tempered nicely by the HDP's tendency to stray toward being analytical.   I enjoy the 5000's bass production, and I will admit that it might be a tad bit too strong for most people, but a group like Zero 7 could not sound any better for the price, to my ears, using an HDP and Denon D5000.

The HDP is quite an impressive little unit, and it is extremely flexible in its application and usage.  I am certain that you would not be disappointed with the match.  There might be better options available depending on your nuanced ideals, but it is surely worth the money. 

Now, if the 7000 has a drasticly different sonic signature when compared to the 5000, then forget everything I just said...except for that last part I just stated. 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 19
implementing gain will increase the loudness and is good to have for more power hungry phones.
it good to be able to decrease gain for use with sensitive phones and iem, with some amps they start you off at very low volume like the matrix and let u increase the gain to 20 + db.
others may start off in the middle and let u tweak + or - it varies a lot from different deigns.

it also varies how sensitive each person ear is as well so just because i think the sensitive denon is super loud on the hdp, dosen't mean u might,  but i would get others opinion  who own both on these matters, but let your own ears decide.  i have heard reports of  others having to crank the hdp, and some i think were referring to there denon.  i did not expect this with the hdp.  it makes total sense with cans like the hd650 or beyers, but  not denon imo ymmv.

for rocking out hdp does a good job surprisingly with the denon, yes but not for monitoring, tv, or just really long listening sessions,  i have and do and am forced to keep the pot near 0 on the hdp.
having said that the hdp sounds really good, and i think my vinyl sounds better on it than on my matrix m stage, the hdp has a lot of sparkle to it, and it surely is not thin, it makes others sound thin, and is really great for rock n roll, and it is very loud on certain phones and iem i only wish it had a lower and higher gain setting. when i bought it i had no intention of listening to its head amp, but now whenever i listen to a really good lp i always like to hear it again on the hdp as it  sparkles more, is clear and more lively and energetic, everyone should listen to some vinyl with their hdp seriously
wow i hoped that helped and doesn't complicate.

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
Very interesting.
I so wish that there were places for me to try DACs out. Are there any alternatives to NuForce HDP for DAC and AMP?

yes, but in its price bracket not many have as good of usb dac with 24bit/96khz.   and many that do dont have others things the hdp has like an analog input, which was crucial for me for my turntable. just keep in mind that you cannot have your toslink and coaxial connected at the same time with the hdp.
    the yulong d100 gets good  reviews but i dont think it has an analog input,  and the new matrix cube i really liked but dosent have the 24bit/96khz usb dac it is only 16 but can be upsampled, i would like to try that one
   really all depends on your price bracket and the type and amount of input you need and whether you will be using its head amp or plan on connected an addition head amp to it

Quote:
Kreisleriana I've had my HDP up to 3 o'clock with my k701's and hd650's and they don't make a peep. It is a notoriously dead silent dac/amp.

what sensitivity are your k701? and 650? i know 650 is power hungry, my denon are 25 ohm and 108 db spl.  and loud as hell with hdp, im using them together right now and got to keep the volume on my vaio down a bit, but it sounds damn good

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
And some people have complained about 'hiss'. Could you verify this?

I'd suggest they are hearing something in the recording. Mine doesn't make a sound at near full volume.  It powers the 650 fine which is 300ohm (102 db/V). The k701 I have is the latest from headphone.com, just got it a few days ago. I wasn't aware there were different sensitivities. Their site says 105 dB SPL/V with 62 Ohm impedance. I listen at pretty loud levels and this drives both fine without any clipping that I can hear.

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
And some people have complained about 'hiss'. Could you verify this?

Ok, for me I only get hiss with my d-7000's when the volume knob is right next to the off position and the hiss is very little.
Oh and the d-7000's sound amazing with the HDP, I can't go back to the d-2000's
dt880smile.png

I was listening to "welcome to the world of the plastic beach" by Gorillaz and "noise maker" by Infected Mushroom, and I must say these phones have some serious low end, a little bit more than the 2000's.
Then I switched over to some 24 bit Spyro Gyra and the details just flow out effortlessly, I also listened to the Jurassic Park Theme and at 36 seconds you can clearly hear someone take a breath to blow the flute.
Although I only have about 40 or so hours burned in, they really make me feel like I am on top of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back