Is it worth it upgrading LCD2 to LCD3?
Jan 27, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #136 of 166
I've recently heard them both side by side.  I like the lcd3, but I think that even though they both have a very similar sound and keep the audeze sound signature, the differences are sufficient to create fans for both of them. (Instead of getting lcd3, i got HD800 and have both lcd2 and hd800)

I, for one, do not think the difference is worth the price, but I am sure many will think otherwise. 

You can read my full impressions on this on headfi, or on my blog.

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #137 of 166
After breaking in the LCD3s for a month, the bass has improved, closer to the LCD2 but slightly better defined. 
Bottom line, are you getting 1000.00 worth of better sound over LCD2v2?  If you have disposable funds, yes.  I think the LCD3s do everything better for sure, but for the money, the LCD2v2 are a no brainer. 

Ive owned AKG, Sennheiser, Grado and Beyerdynamic in the past.  My headphone search / upgrade is over, at least til Audeze releases a new model!

May 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #138 of 166
Quote:
I've recently heard them both side by side.  I like the lcd3, but I think that even though they both have a very similar sound and keep the audeze sound signature, the differences are sufficient to create fans for both of them.

I, for one, do not think the difference is worth the price, but I am sure many will think otherwise. 

You can read my full impressions on this on headfi, or on my blog.

I retract what I said...after getting hd800..now I want lcd3 too :)) HD800 made me understand/appreciate LCD3 better. I love them both now damn it...This did not go as I planned. :))

May 4, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #139 of 166
I auditioned the LCD-2 and ended up buying the LCD-3. I find it physically much more comfortable on my head--the LCD-2 had too much pressure. I'm not made out of money, but I am passionate about sound quality, and headphones are very cheap compared to comparable loudspeakers (mine cost $19K). I'm very pleased. Of course, the source, DAC, amp, and wires you use are of equal importance.

May 4, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #140 of 166
Quote:
I auditioned the LCD-2 and ended up buying the LCD-3. I find it physically much more comfortable on my head--the LCD-2 had too much pressure. I'm not made out of money, but I am passionate about sound quality, and headphones are very cheap compared to comparable loudspeakers (mine cost $19K). I'm very pleased. Of course, the source, DAC, amp, and wires you use are of equal importance.

You're not made of money, and you have $19 000 speakers,
confused_face(1).gif

May 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #141 of 166

Quote:
And... that, my friends, "is the rest of the story."

If you've got "money to burn," you'll likely be satisfied with the "value" - but, if not... not.

I've found, that "upgrading" to 007's and HE-500's was by no means a "big upgrade," if any at all.  For me, I'm pretty certain, I would not be sufficiently impressed with the LCD-3's to warrant their "price premium" - and... most would think I have "money to burn."  If I spend that kind of money on any pair of headphones... I want them to sound dramatically better, than those I have now - but, I've found that simply is not the case.  And... I'm unwilling to accept the "loss" on their resale (if I pay the list price). 

But... "to each his own." 

Agreed. I absolutely love the LCD2.2s that I have now. The 3s may be better but are they $1000 better? Prolly not. I would definitely love to audition a pair especially if using the Mjolnir/Gungnir amp/dac combo I am using so its an apple to apple comparison. Maybe someday I will spring for the 3s but for now I have to say that the LCD2.2s are just so nice I am frankly not motivated to spend another $1000 to acquire the 3s. At any rate even if I did get the 3s someday I can't see selling my 2.2s because they are just really that good.

May 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #143 of 166
So I'm about to pull the trigger and purchase either the LCD-2 or 3.  

I'm leaning towards the LCD-2's and plan on getting them as soon as I make up my mind.  

Anyone wanna try to convince me to get the 3's instead?  I'm open ears.  

May 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #144 of 166
Get the LCD3's, they're better if you're going the audez'e way! Otherwise there are better headphones than the lcd2 imo

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #145 of 166
Quote:
Get the LCD3's, they're better if you're going the audez'e way! Otherwise there are better headphones than the lcd2 imo

And you consider them worth the $1000 difference?  

How does classic rock sound on the 3's?

I was most likely going to get the Mjolnir + Gungnir combo.  Are they good for the LCD-3's?   

May 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #147 of 166
Quote:

And you consider them worth the $1000 difference?  

How does classic rock sound on the 3's?

I was most likely going to get the Mjolnir + Gungnir combo.  Are they good for the LCD-3's?   

Simply amazing with classic rock!!!!!

Nothing in this range is linear with regards to price to performance. But the LCD-3s are better. Here are some more of my thoughts between the two:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

May 17, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #149 of 166
Quote:
Simply amazing with classic rock!!!!!

Nothing in this range is linear with regards to price to performance. But the LCD-3s are better. Here are some more of my thoughts between the two:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

Here's a better question, will I be getting the most out of my LCD-3's with the Mjolnir/Gungnir combo, or will I have to spend more?

Assuming you consider the LCD-3's are worth $1000 more at full potential, how much will the Mjolnir/Gungnir make the LCD-3's worth over the 2's?  A full $1000 worth, or maybe more like $800 worth or $500 worth?  I know that's a crazy-ass question, but please indulge my ignorance.  

If the Mjolnir/Gungnir only make the LCD-3's sound a tiny bit better than the LCD-2's, then I should just get the 2's, no?  

Also, what do you guys consider the ultimate rig (dac + amp) for the LCD-3's that's in the Mjolnir/Gungnir price range?  The schiit combo costs ~ $1600, so let's say in that range, or maybe a little more up to $2k or a little bit over.  

May 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #150 of 166
Quote:

Here's a better question, will I be getting the most out of my LCD-3's with the Mjolnir/Gungnir combo, or will I have to spend more?

Assuming you consider the LCD-3's are worth $1000 more at full potential, how much will the Mjolnir/Gungnir make the LCD-3's worth over the 2's?  A full $1000 worth, or maybe more like $800 worth or $500 worth?  I know that's a crazy-ass question, but please indulge my ignorance.  

If the Mjolnir/Gungnir only make the LCD-3's sound a tiny bit better than the LCD-2's, then I should just get the 2's, no?  

Also, what do you guys consider the ultimate rig (dac + amp) for the LCD-3's that's in the Mjolnir/Gungnir price range?  The schiit combo costs ~ $1600, so let's say in that range, or maybe a little more up to $2k or a little bit over.  

That's a tough and kind of impossible question to answer, because just like marginal differences in audio are worth different amounts of money to people, money itself is worth different amounts to people.  

To my ears there is a very clear, audible difference between the LCD2 and LCD3.  I picked up the LCD3 at THE show in Newport last year, listened to it for 2 minutes w/ the CEntrance Dacport w/ spotify and instantly knew it was substantially better than the LCD2 and I wanted it.  Since then I have tried the two headphones w/ my iphone, Xm6, Schiit Lyr, Meier Concerto, or Schiit Mjolnir and in each instance I heard audible improvements immediately.  I do see the gap widening as I moved up in amps, where imo if one was buying an amp >500 I would consider buying the LCD3.  It was really the Lyr that drew the line for me where amps that were better than it really made the LCD3 "$1000" better than the LCD2.  For example I would much rather have the LCD3 w/ Mjolnir than LCD2 w/ WA22 or GSX and I would rather have the LCD2 w/ Mjolnir than the LCD3 w/ lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back