Is It Really Worth 'Upgrading' Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 Cables?
Apr 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #211 of 421
Quote:
Because it opens up the 650's, improving soundstage and removing the veil.

Ok I retract my last post. Either you're trolling or just don't understand what I've posted before.

Read #203 and the wikipedia article it links to.

As for your anecdote, other people have heard other differences. All of you cannot be right, but you could all be wrong.

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #212 of 421
Quote:

Since this is the sound science forum, why is it the best cable? 

Cardas cables are bestest because they are build using Golden Ratio meth and offer a constant IQ. These cables minimize electrical and mechanical vibrations caused by alternating current, which in turn determines what and how music notes reproduce, and therefore manipulates the bare genetics and appearance of their little note offsprings.

Through music note natural selection, facilitated thru Cardas Golden Ration Constant IQ cables, music thru your phones will become less dark and more bright (removing that "veil" in the process.)  Soundstage will dramatically improve as musical notes with low self-esteem will not be allowed to reproduce, and only running-amok notes will succeed in making it to your ears.

EDIT: <sarcasm>

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #213 of 421
Quote:
Cardas cables are bestest because they are build using Golden Ratio meth and offer a constant IQ. These cables minimize electrical and mechanical vibrations caused by alternating current, which in turn determines what and how music notes reproduce, and therefore manipulates the bare genetics and appearance of their little note offsprings.

Through music note natural selection, facilitated thru Cardas Golden Ration Constant IQ cables, music thru your phones will become less dark and more bright (removing that "veil" in the process.)  Soundstage will dramatically improve as musical notes with low self-esteem will not be allowed to reproduce, and only running-amok notes will succeed in making it to your ears.

+1

But if you stil wanna use stock cables without Golden ratio mesh anyway, be my guest.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #214 of 421
Quote:

Wow, that's great stuff.  Thanks.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #215 of 421
ultrabike, you know how to make me laugh, but maybe you should be more careful and add
<sarcasm>
tags to such posts.
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #217 of 421
Hah!

But really, to the others, if you combine impressions like this:
Quote:

Because it opens up the 650's, improving soundstage and removing the veil.

with:
Quote:
the stock cable can vastly outperform the Cardas

or:
Quote:
I've read that if brightens the sound up

or:
Quote:
tighten up the bass a little bit more

you should see that as soon as bias creeps in people hear what they want to hear.
We're not interested in your anecdotes so there's no point in posting them. Do proper tests instead.

May 18, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #218 of 421
Quote:

EDIT: <sarcasm>

+1 LOL!!

May 18, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #219 of 421
Quote:

+1

But if you stil wanna use stock cables without Golden ratio mesh anyway, be my guest.

Wait till you've tried the cables with platinum and diamond ratio mesh, It lifts the veil even more and the bass is absolutely magnificent. And oh did i forget to mention, the sound stage is massive too! Use the cables with monster beats and they'll sounds just as good, if not better than TOTL phones.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #220 of 421
Quote:
I think of it like a waterslide - you can slide down with absolutely clean, distilled water for almost the whole length, but if there's even one part of it that's dirty then you won't be totally clean coming out the other end. It's probably just the scientist on me trying to see things from a technical point of view, and I can't say what difference it'll make to others.

Maybe when I've built up a rig that can only be improved by things like interconnects then I'll consider some better wires, but as of now I don't see the point in spending as much on a pair of headphones again on a cable that makes a subtle or non-existent difference. The thing is that so many accepted traits of audiophilia are mystical anyway (burn-in?) that science has also shown makes little or no difference are well-supported by the majority of people here.
I don't think buying quality ICs is bad if you've got the cash to spare, but I do have a problem with people being scammed into thinking that a $700 cable will be vastly better than a $20 cable. Then again, some people are happy with $250 headphones and some spent $5,000, with also perhaps not as much difference as you'd hope in between.

...This hobby is unfathomable, but I think that's why it's so interesting. I still call for a blind cable test
smily_headphones1.gif

I like this analogy, and it's very similar to my thoughts. However, I do believe a cable can make a difference. Not these costs 5 times more than an MRI scanner made from virgin tears and unicorn hair things, but the difference between a cheaply made low grade material cable and something properly made with high purity copper (or whatever you may prefer). Although it's true that much of the internal wiring is probably not amazing adding more rubbish into the chain is just going to compound that. To extend your analogy, would you prefer a waterside with spring water all the way but with one pumping point putting in sewage, or a pure sewage slide with one pumping point adding in spring water? Particularly if your headphone cable is several metres long and the grand sum of the internal train comes to less than that. Pre amplifier wires particularly, any distortion problems there are going to get amplified along with the signal.

Personally i'd never pay over £100 for a cable, and even up to that is really pushing it for me. To date I've never spent more than £50

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #221 of 421
I think a large problem with headphone recabling "impressions" and "reviews" are that the cables are generally quite expensive, and because they are replacing the original cable, are very rarely able to be A/B tested.

Subjectivity creeps in, and when you read enough reviews about one cable having a certain characteristic, you'll definitely be able to hear it.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #222 of 421
True, for some people they only have to hear one review saying something and they hear it too. And then it gets propagated further. I've always found myself rather resistant to this effect (I often disagree with the impressions I have read), but I should imagine there is probably a threshold after which anybody can get convinced. I don't think it has happened to me yet, but if I was to read/hear the same impression again and again for long enough. I'm a stubborn and antisocial git at heart, perhaps that's why I'm harder to convince than some

Jun 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #223 of 421
Describing Sonic Improvements of an Upgrade Cable for Dummies
®​

Have you recently spent hundreds of dollars on an upgrade cable? Are you having difficulties describing the improved sound of your new cable? Or do you feel that you're grammatically inept when it comes to describing sound? If you've answered 'yes' to any of those questions, then Describing Sonic Improvements of an Upgrade Cable for Dummies
® ​
is the guide you need! We've compiled a long list of descriptive terms that you can choose from. Rest assured you will not be disappointed, and you will never again have problems describing sound! For starters, here's a list of the most commonly used

terms for describing sonic improvements. 

1. Better treble extension
  2. Richer and smoother mids
  3. Improved bass punch/body/impact/extension/sub bass/tighter bass/mid, lower bass/rounded bass
  4. Larger 3 dimensional soundstage
  5. Blacker blacks/blacker background
  6. Fuller sound
  7. Increased musicality
  8. Enhanced instrument separation
  9. Increased musicality
  10. Greater resolution of detail and clarity
  11. More natural sounding
  12. Better transparency
  13. Less sterile
  14. More focused sound
  15. More balanced sounding
  16. Tamed brightness
  17. Veil lifted/gone completely

ISBN: 978-0-470-59832-1000
Price: FREE
Other Available formats: Paperback (reference grade)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back