Is It Really Worth 'Upgrading' Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 Cables?
Sep 8, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #76 of 421

Quote:
:wink: Hm, but we are talking about impact of the replacement headphone cable for senn NOT the impact of the power cable.

The only difference between no-name and expensive power cord  from my point of view:  DAC1 (hooked up via no-name PC) is hotter after playing let's say 1h or more.

Yes of course spagetka, it is very different.

I am not saying that there is no difference between the cables for the Sennheisers.

What I am saying is that the reports of differences are largely invalidated by auto-suggestion.

That Nordost Valhalla power cord test was held by Casa Bellecci-Serinus who held it believing it would show the Nordost Valhalla did indeed have a very positive benefit.

In fact Casa Bellecci-Serinus himself only got 4 out of 10 of the tests right between the Nordost Valhalla and the generic power cords.

So the test illustrates the extent of auto-suggestion.

I would absolutely love it if 100% ABX tests were carried out on cables for headphones and for interconnects etc.

Then we could get a really good idea of just how much difference these things make.

My own belief is that the cables make a very tiny difference but it is very difficult to hear it.

Maybe I am wrong about that, but I would love to see proper ABX tests.

Unfortunately the voodoo faithful see calls for ABX tests as heresy.

Anyway that is enough from me on cables (honest).

Enjoy music no matter what the nature/colour of the medium :)

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #77 of 421

Quote:
You are saying that in a blind test you can tell the solder used in a cable?

I'm saying I don't believe it.

That's perfectly ok with me if you don't believe me.  Whether or not you believe what I say, has no effect upon my enjoyment of the music I listen to, and my enjoyment of the equipment I use to bring that music to my ears.  I am secure in what I believe and perceive, you should be secure in your belief and perception as well.

If either you or I were to begin to denigrate one another's perceptions, that would be unacceptable.  Enjoy your music!!  We have no more right to criticize one another's musical tastes than we do to criticize the means by which we listen.

Sep 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #78 of 421
Oh, common, take it easy. This is a wrong patrick, he just can not afford expensive cables and cool silver / gold / cryogenic solder. This is why he told that he does not believe.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #79 of 421
Quote:
Oh, common, take it easy. This is a wrong patrick, he just can not afford expensive cables and cool silver / gold / cryogenic solder. This is why he told that he does not believe.

I can't deny that for those chasing those last vestiges of improvement from their rigs having spent into the tens of thousands cables are a worthy pursuit, even if not one that has as much effect as cans and amps/sources. However, for us mortals who can't drop £20k on an Odin speaker cable, it's much more worthwhile to use solidly made cables and concentrate on the factors that will have a much greater effect on the sound, like those mentioned above.
I could recable my rig with silver, but would it make much of a difference? Probably not. I've only got a cheap DAC, a cheap, poorly built DIY amp and a pair of distinctly mid-fi headphones. Much more return could be had by replacing all those components, and a reasonable amount of it for less than an average aftermarket cable. DIY cables would probably be cheaper, mind. I think that's the route I'll take if I ever 'do' cables - DIY cables are about 15% of the price of their professional counterparts, and they're more fun.

Just my two pence. Cables are fine, but recommending expensive cables to new people with limited setups is silly.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #80 of 421
It depends on the amps power IMHO. I tried 650s with a silver dragon upgrade on lisa3 and they sound a lot more unveiled compared to stock 650 cable with the lisa. However on a beta 22, both cables sounded the same. Strange but true. Also the jenna upgrade on the 600s I have does sound better, maybe its better soldering or better furutech connectors or the cable itself I don't know.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #81 of 421
aloksatoor wrote:

However on a beta 22, both cables sounded the same. Strange but true.

I'm going go with the point that our ears only have so much they can individually perceive and when you hit that point, nada.

confused.gif

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #82 of 421

Quote:
I can't deny that for those chasing those last vestiges of improvement from their rigs having spent into the tens of thousands cables are a worthy pursuit, even if not one that has as much effect as cans and amps/sources. However, for us mortals who can't drop £20k on an Odin speaker cable, it's much more worthwhile to use solidly made cables and concentrate on the factors that will have. I've only got a cheap DAC, a cheap, poorly built DIY amp and a pair of distinctly mid-fi headphones. Much more return could be had by replacing all those components, and a reasonable amount of it for less than an average aftermarket cable. DIY cables would probably be cheaper, mind. I think that's the route I'll take if I ever 'do' cables - DIY cables are about 15% of the price of their professional counterpart a much greater effect on the sound, like those mentioned above.
I could recable my rig with silver, but would it make much of a difference? Probably not. s, and they're more fun.

Just my two pence. Cables are fine, but recommending expensive cables to new people with limited setups is silly.

Which has every possibility of sounding superb, if you listen to the anti-cable side and go with the blind tests. Then you will find that so much 'high end' hifi is very difficult to distinguish from mid or low end. And accessories such as cables are just not worth the money. But, if you go with the pro-cable side, you are always left with nagging doubts that there is something wrong with either or both, your ears or your kit.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #83 of 421
Of course it's worth it, the stock cable is very low quality. What's not worth it is paying hundreds of dollars for a cable. You can make a nice one for under 50 dollars.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #84 of 421

Quote:
Of course it's worth it, the stock cable is very low quality. What's not worth it is paying hundreds of dollars for a cable. You can make a nice one for under 50 dollars.

x2

Quote:

... But, if you go with the pro-cable side, you are always left with nagging doubts that there is something wrong with either or both, your ears or your kit.

You exaggerate too much.

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #85 of 421
Sorry, you are right Mad Max, I fell into the pro trap of exaggerated claims with always. I stand by nagging doubt though.

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #86 of 421

Quote:
Sorry, you are right Mad Max, I fell into the pro trap of exaggerated claims with always. I stand by nagging doubt though.

I doubt most "pro-cable" people are that obsessive-compulsive.  XD

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #87 of 421
x3.

It is the cost of Cardas forks, Neutrik 1/4" plug and piece of Mogami cable.

Quote:

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #89 of 421
Sep 10, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #90 of 421
I have ordered Whiplash TWag Elite replacement cables for all my dynamic Sennheisers (HD600/650/800), with the biggest--and I mean enormous--improvement experienced on the HD600/650s.  Wrote up a review on that (Duel of the Xes) in my sig block.

Since the review I have upgraded my amps and ICs using the same cables so the synergy is even better.  I had another Head-Fi'er over to visit and when he heard them for the first time (after experiencing them in stock form) his jaw dropped.  He said these cables have completely elevated the sound signature of the cans to the point were they could be compared to reference cans costing 2-3 times their price in terms of SQ, if not build quality and comfort.

But these cables retail around $425 depending on termination and length.  I suppose you get what you pay for in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back