Is It Really Worth 'Upgrading' Sennheiser HD 580/600/650 Cables?
Feb 14, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #376 of 421
  you can get a 1/8 to 1/4 cable at monoprice.com for a couple of bucks.

yeah, that's what I meant to say.  Found one on Radioshack:

http://www.radioshack.com/1-8-stereo-jack-to-1-4-mono-plug-adapter/2740348.html#q=1%2F8%2Bto%2B1%2F4&start=7

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #378 of 421

I take it since the cable will be balanced I'll need two mono 1/8 inch to one 1/4 inch stereo, no?
And will any adapter work since my Little Dot III Amp isn't balanced?

Stock Sennheiser cables aren't balanced by default, you have to get a balanced cable especially made up.  I'm not sure, but I think the wiring for a balanced 3.5mm adaptor is different to a non balanced adaptor (electronics whizzes correct me if I'm wrong).  Unbalanced is TRS and balanced is TRRS if memory serves me.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #379 of 421

I take it since the cable will be balanced I'll need two mono 1/8 inch to one 1/4 inch stereo, no?
And will any adapter work since my Little Dot III Amp isn't balanced?

Stock Sennheiser cables aren't balanced by default, you have to get a balanced cable especially made up.  I'm not sure, but I think the wiring for a balanced 3.5mm adaptor is different to a non balanced adaptor (electronics whizzes correct me if I'm wrong).  Unbalanced is TRS and balanced is TRRS if memory serves me.

Yes, I plan on getting a balanced cable for my Pono DAP but I would also love to use the HPs with my LittleDot MK III Amp which only has a 1'4 inch input (not balanced)

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #380 of 421
A single ended cable/jack has right/left/ground, so the ground path is shared between channels. A balanced setup has right +/- and left+/-, so each channel has its own ground, essentially.

As far as sound quality is concerned, there's nothing magical about balanced. If you like the sound of a balanced amplifier with your headphones, then it makes sense, but all other advantages are designer/engineer side (there is at least one thread on this in Sound Science).

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #381 of 421
A single ended cable/jack has right/left/ground, so the ground path is shared between channels. A balanced setup has right +/- and left+/-, so each channel has its own ground, essentially.

As far as sound quality is concerned, there's nothing magical about balanced. If you like the sound of a balanced amplifier with your headphones, then it makes sense, but all other advantages are designer/engineer side (there is at least one thread on this in Sound Science).

Thanks for chiming in, SJ.
I'm considering a balanced cable because in the Pono DAP thread people say it sounds better in the balanced mode.

So are you saying if I put on a balanced cable for the Pono there's no adapter that will make it work with my non-balanced HP Amp?

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #382 of 421
What I'd like is a sturdier cable for my HD600s, not one that supposedly or actually sounds different.

Ideally, such a cable would be less expensive than, say, cryogenically altered helium threaded with gold wire recast from Winston Crotchhill's fillings.

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #383 of 421
  What I'd like is a sturdier cable for my HD600s, not one that supposedly or actually sounds different.

Ideally, such a cable would be less expensive than, say, cryogenically altered helium threaded with gold wire recast from Winston Crotchhill's fillings.

When my stock cable got screwed up I replaced it with the stock HD650 cable.  It's heavier, cheaper (approx $20 CDN), and terminates with a 1/4 jack.

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #384 of 421
  Thanks for chiming in, SJ.
I'm considering a balanced cable because in the Pono DAP thread people say it sounds better in the balanced mode.

So are you saying if I put on a balanced cable for the Pono there's no adapter that will make it work with my non-balanced HP Amp?

Theres few reasons the balanced mode would sound different... maybe because of the higher distortions it would.

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #385 of 421
In addition to a sturdier or more reliable cable (IMHO the HD 650 cable fixes that), a more portable cable for transportable use is most certainly a reason to upgrade.  I'm thinking of doing it myself.

May 23, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #386 of 421
Edit :

I asked if i should invest in better cable for my setup on the forum and i edited my post. Why?

Just read the whole 26 pages thing and im not changing my stock HD-650 cables lol

Keeping my money :)

May 24, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #387 of 421
Is it worth upgrading the cable of your 300-ohm headphones? In addition to what I said on this thread, here's a little extra bit of stuff you can think about before you decide:

If you have a 300-ohm pair of headphones running off the ultra-flagship desktop headphone amplifier mammoth called the Ragnarok, which goes for $1,700, then you've got a whopping 1.7 W (watts) per channel if you're maxing it out. I guess at 300 ohms, the power of both channels must cost a buck per milliwatt.

From physics class, you may recall the equation P = I2R, which can be changed into I = sqrt (P / R).

(P means power, I is current, and R is resistance.)

So if we plug in our numbers to this, we get I = sqrt (1.7 W / 300 ohms) ≈ .075 amperes (.075 A), or 75mA of current (times 2 channels) running through your headphone cable with a pair of 300-ohm cans and the ultra-flagship Ragnarok amplifier mega-mammoth ***maxed out***. A teeny, tiny, mere 75mA times 2 channels running through your headphone cable!!!!!!!!!!

Now,...you decide if spending any more than $10 or $15 on a friggin' headphone cable is worth it.  
cool.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #390 of 421
I'm thinking about purchasing the Black Dragon V2 cable for my HD650. Could anyone comment on the soundstage width of Black Dragon vs stock cable? I'm very happy with the soundstage width of the stock cable. I've tried other cables with my HD650. While they improved some aspects of the stock cable, the soundstage width was reduced. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back