Is it my ears or the headphone?
Jul 22, 2012 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

csf101

Head-Fier
Hello everyone;

About a month ago I purchased the vmoda M80 Headphones. They're amazing headphones except for one thing, and that's that I've noticed that I can hear "better" out of my right ear then left I've noticed while listening. What I mean by that is that I've noticed that when someone is singing for example, it's almost always more noticeable out of my right ear then left, especially when guitars and bass come into the picture. I've tried listening to multiple songs with different genres, and they all have pretty much the same effect. I've even played MW3 with them and I noticed that I my gunshots and footsteps appeared slightly louder out of the right speaker then the left. I've had several headphones before this, and I really haven't noticed it until now, but then again, this is my first on ear and higher quality headphone, so I'm not sure how to test it out. Is this normal to hear slightly better out of one ear better then the other? And is their any way to test out my headphones to make sure nothing is wrong with them?

Thanks for any answers. :)

P.S. I'm 15 and I'm a total noob to this stuff. Sorry if I didn't make something clear. :p

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
Easy, try listening to the left side with your right ear and vice versa.

...I knew I left something out of my post. xD

I tried doing that, but the problem is that the headphones are angled slightly for them to fit your ears, so it's hard to put them on backwards decently enough to be able to hear out of them to good. :p

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 19
...I knew I left something out of my post. xD

I tried doing that, but the problem is that the headphones are angled slightly for them to fit your ears, so it's hard to put them on backwards decently enough to be able to hear out of them to good. :p

I see, can't help you then because I don't own and have never listened to the m80

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 19
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.pWow.

Wow. Im truly dissapointed in my UE TF10's. There is so much volume coming out of my right earbud then my left. Spending $400 to get this perfomance..

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 19
I have almost the same issue, and without going to get my hearing checked i almost left with the same issue. However, i did find an interesting blurb about how our brains process sound and that each of our ears are tuned to hear different tones. 

Here is the blurb from Don Glass,

"Did you know your right and left ears process sound differently?

The left hemisphere of the brain dominates over the right in processing different sounds. Specifically, the left hemisphere dominates in processing rapidly changing sounds such as in speech, and the right hemisphere dominates in processing prolonged tones such as in music.

However, the processing of sound actually begins in our ears, before sound reaches the brain. Because the right ear connects to the brain’s left hemisphere, it’s the dominant ear for processing rapidly changing sounds, and vice versa, the left ear dominates in processing prolonged tones."

http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/right-ear-left-ear/

Also, if you really want to get your hearing in top shape, you can do what a lot of studio professionals do and flush your ears of wax. You'd be surprised how inner ear wax can change how you perceive sound. i am constantly dealing with this, in particular when i sleep on one side over another. 

Anyways, my first post and just my first reply.

regards,

Jul 22, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 19
That's very interesting,this may sound stupid,but everytime i begin a listening session i pinch my nose and blow,and 9 times out of 10 i hear a crackling sound and i'd swear i can hear better.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 19
Maybe even hearing damage? Kinda young though...I've had the same issue but with all headphones thought it was my hearing but when i got checked i was ok. Try moving them around or by a cheapo set of earbuds at wally mart and test if the same thing happens 

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 19
I've noticed the same thing with myself. Although I don't have those headphones, it has been apparent on almost all of my headphones that I 'hear better' out of my left ear than my right. It's even when I use the phone, if I go from using the left ear to the right, it'll sound slightly softer and maybe a bit more muffled. I'm not sure why. I do remember reading somewhere that people have a 'dominant ear'. Don't know if that's true or not, though.

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 19
It is perfectly natural to hear differently from each ear. Not counting hearing damage, your ears could simply have different sensitivities. They are almost never symmetrical (ear shape, height, canal size/angle, etc), so that will affect the sound reaching your inner ear as well. 

Myself, my left ear perceives sound "louder" than my right, and actually if I listen to specific test tones separately I swear that the tones sound "flat" (as in down a fraction of pitch) in my left as well. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 19
Jul 23, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 19
Have a similar problem,which only became apparent once I had my LCD2s;there seems to be some sort of imbalence as most of the sound is in the left part of my hearing/brain.
The right part is not as distinct as the left.
If the bass is mixed into the middle of the soundstage,it seems to be on 11.30(if you know what I mean???).First I thought it is an Audeze problem,so I sent them in.
Now I think, it is because of the higher resolution compared to my previous headphone(Senn HD650),that this hearing problem is so evident.
Did a driver swap and both drivers are fine on my right ear!!!
Will try some "wax remover" next!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back