Is it an upgrade going from AT ATH-A700 to AT ATH-M50?
Apr 11, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
So is it a good idea to just get the Fiio e5 and l3 to go along with my audio technica a700? Aswell, since i don't really like bringing these things out into public, this setup will improve when plugged into the soundcard in my computer?

the L3 LOD cord is not for connecting to a computer, it is for iPods, but you can connect the e5 to your pc using the cord it comes with :)

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #18 of 27
You will probably be very satisfied with the M50... You might get them and see how you like them straight out of the laptop... Then later get something like the Nuforce uDAC-2 HP (a combination DAC and Headphone Amp)... and take the digital info straight out of the laptop and have the uDAC convert it to analog and then amplified for the M50... got my M50 from scitscat also... they were great!

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 27
But wouldn't it much be better to plug the Fiio e5 into my soundcard in my desktop and the headphones into the Fiio?  I don't normally have any music in my laptop anyways. 

So the M50 > A700??

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #20 of 27
If you want to use it for your laptop then I would get the FiiO E7 because of its DAC unless you already have a good soundcard. Otherwise, the FiiO E5 is good enough for your headphones, but it won't have a DAC.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #21 of 27
I guess i don't need a DAC because it's being plugged into the soundcard? Well anyways, I just want to know if the M50's are better than my current A700's. So that I don't waste my money...

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #22 of 27
The M50 will work fine out of your desktop... you said you were concerned about how they looked in public... what do you use as a portable source... iPOD?

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #23 of 27
that FiiO E7 seems cool...but do i need it? I usually play music on my Macbook straight into my headphones. will this DAC really improve the sound for me?

Apr 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #25 of 27
Where does the E7 go? The USB port? I know the E5 goes to the speaker 3.5 mm jack... sorry noob here.

Quote:
If you want to use it for your laptop then I would get the FiiO E7 because of its DAC unless you already have a good soundcard. Otherwise, the FiiO E5 is good enough for your headphones, but it won't have a DAC.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #26 of 27
The E7 is a combined DAC/amp.

The DAC (digital analogue converter) is needed to convert digital data to analogue sound (so you can hear it).  Every MP3 player has one built in.  Your sound card on your computer also has a DAC.  The problem is that some DACs are quite low quality.  The DAC on the E7 uses a Wolfson chip and is a good entry point for upgrading your sound.  When using it as with your computer, you use the supplied USB cable to plug your E7 to the computer.  You then plug either your headphones or your speakers into the line-out 3.5mm socket on the E7.  This way it bypasses your computers soundcard, and automatically uses the E7 as an external soundcard.  I use it on both my PC at home, and also my laptop when I'm traveling.  For me the SQ is noticeably better.

As an amp - you can use the E7 together with your portable media player of choice.  You can either plug the E7's line-in (with cable supplied) to your PMP's headphone out, then your headphones to the E7's line-out ....
OR if your PMP has a line-out and you get the correct cable, you can go E7 -> LOD -> PMP.  The advantage of using a line out (rather than the headphone out), is that you also bypass your PMP's headphone out, and just extract the digital signal, and use the E7's DAC and amplification.  The result can be a cleaner signal (better sound).

I use an iPod Touch G4 + L3 LOD + E7.  I listen at home with either my SRH840's or AD700's, or portably with my SE420's.  Although none of my H/P need amplification, the E7 has resulted in better clarity, instrument separation, and slightly better soundstage.

Hope this helps.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #27 of 27

If i remember the l3 right, that'd be a line out for your iPod. So skip on the L3.
Quote:
So is it a good idea to just get the Fiio e5 and l3 to go along with my audio technica a700? Aswell, since i don't really like bringing these things out into public, this setup will improve when plugged into the soundcard in my computer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back