Is B&W p5 worth it?
Mar 14, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #16 of 50
Haha, I guess that's the kicker. Will they deliver, or is it just marketing? While admittedly they are well outside my price range, it will be nice if B&W actually make a portable that's capable of competing alongside all the new customs flooding the market.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #17 of 50
I've listened to them. Liked the sound for mobile headphones. To me they smoke Bose or Beats. I want them for my birthday next month. Don't need them, just want them. Like the sound. Something cool and different.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to them. Liked the sound for mobile headphones. To me they smoke Bose or Beats. I want them for my birthday next month. Don't need them, just want them. Like the sound. Something cool and different.

sounds good. cant wait to get one. Any idea if these will be marketed to asian countries like hongkong? since i will be going there next month

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by JxK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I guess that's the kicker. Will they deliver, or is it just marketing? While admittedly they are well outside my price range, it will be nice if B&W actually make a portable that's capable of competing alongside all the new customs flooding the market.

haha.. I would prefer B&W over bose anyday because of their reputation. While they are expensive, they are more worth it than bose. I probably think it is more marketing than "deliver" but it shouldnt be too far from both. I would expect it to be of high quality since they made only 1. Just like nokia, they release new cellphones almost every few months, which translates to not so good quality but user friendly, unlike sony ericsson they release their new products once a year or so which takes time to build which translates to high quality.

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well.... I've just Spent the best part of 2 hours trialing headphones in the apple store Birmingham (UK).
I've walked out with these lovely P5's !! Superb.

I used my own music on an iPhone (mostly encoded at 192 some at 256) - Bose qc3's really muddy and mid bassy.
Dr dre Beats - horrible unless you like the thought of a sub- woofer in your ears with little else - especially in the way of mids.
It's worth mentioning that the noise isolation is really very good too! Cut out as much noise in the shop if not more than the digital noise cancellation cans!

I know they won't be as good as proper home headphones - but for on the go I reckon these would take some beating... Worlds away from the shure se530's and the likes of other in ear affairs! And, I would have always sworn by these in the past!

As a semi-pro musician (guitarist/singer) for over 20 years I've had a lot to do with many so called high end headphones and monitors!!

These are easily up there with the best.

You could do a lot worse than spend your £250 on these!

So yes - in short - they are worth it!

Mar 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #22 of 50
They are just round the corner from me, shall I go and ask ?
biggrin.gif

They have one heck of a demo lab - or did last time I was there..

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marko3182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well.... I've just Spent the best part of 2 hours trialing headphones in the apple store Birmingham (UK).
I've walked out with these lovely P5's !! Superb.

I used my own music on an iPhone (mostly encoded at 192 some at 256) - Bose qc3's really muddy and mid bassy.
Dr dre Beats - horrible unless you like the thought of a sub- woofer in your ears with little else - especially in the way of mids.
It's worth mentioning that the noise isolation is really very good too! Cut out as much noise in the shop if not more than the digital noise cancellation cans!

I know they won't be as good as proper home headphones - but for on the go I reckon these would take some beating... Worlds away from the shure se530's and the likes of other in ear affairs! And, I would have always sworn by these in the past!

As a semi-pro musician (guitarist/singer) for over 20 years I've had a lot to do with many so called high end headphones and monitors!!

These are easily up there with the best.

You could do a lot worse than spend your £250 on these!

So yes - in short - they are worth it!

I agree 100% with this post..

May 15, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #24 of 50
P5s are great sounding and looking ...  very nice phones that will impress..  i have had mins for a few months now and i love them more with every listen! they make me want more and more music..
PS:  Get Anuhea's album "Anuhea" it is great for the p5s!!

May 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #25 of 50
I am very happy with the P5's.  Worth is is relative and they are have color to them.  I know there is another thread that sort of hangs the P5 out to dry as a $300 headphone in terms of sound issues/color/etc.  I really didnt mind paying extra for the design/aestetics/confort which to me is easily worth 25-50% of their cost.  I needed small/sealed/closed headphones and compared them to a very well respected (though $100) MDR7506 and I liked the sound signature in the P5 for mobile use and love the look/feel.  If you A/B them against several well know open natural headphones that costs $300 the P5's probably come up short.  If you can just listen and enjoy them for the sound they have (be it a little hyped and colored) they are great.

May 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #26 of 50

Quote:
Good thing is they are made of leather and metal. No plastic parts. Gives more natural sound

What is your definition of natural sound? I had a chance to audition these at the apple store, and these headphones were anything BUT natural/neutral. I was quite impressed till I saw the price tag. Are these decent sounding headphones? Yeah, they are fun, but worth 300 dollars? that's debatable. I thought the bass was far too overbearing and lacked refinement and detail, but I didn't have a chance to audition the headphones with MY music, so take my views with a grain of salt. Why not give them a try and see if YOU like it. 

May 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #27 of 50
They sound like Bose to me. Apple marketing doesn't help all too much. It's not that they sound bad, they're sturdy for sure, plus they look nice and isolate well, in comparison to all of the other headphones I own. It's just that they cost too much in terms of their sound quality. I would rather invest in some Triports, if that's the sound sig I'd be after. If only they would drop below retail like Sennheiser and AT.

May 29, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #28 of 50
The P5s are worth $250 IMOP...  i am more and more happy with them as time goes by...  For me all the part came together to for the best $300 option for me..

Looks
build quality 
weight
sounds quality
volume
iphone compatibility

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #29 of 50
I agree and am happy with mine, I've many great headphones (Sennheiser HD595's, 600's, Grado HF-1's, MS-2i's, and RS-1's).  The P5's are a little expensive for what they are but they are great within their own nitch.  I toss them in a bag and use them for travel, in bed, and when walking the dog right out of my un-amped device.

The P5's are a great isolating portable/mobile "full-sized" headphone option to go straight into your device.  I compared them to some other smaller/foldable closed back options (cheaper stuff in the 100-150 range) and the P-5's were clearly on a slightly more refined/detailed level).

I think the key thing you have to be open to is that you are paying for design/development/marketing/materials so its hard for the P5 to stand up against a $250-$300 headphone that has been built for many years and is simply molded plastic.

I'd say the sound quality value vs cost starts to cap out at about $200, after that you are paying for the look/aesthetics/comfort (if its there for you).  For me I do not mind, I like the headphones and would rather pay $50-$75 more for anything to be built of this quality rather than cheap plastic.  Actually I would rather pay 20-25% more for a lot of things to have them look and feel like the P-5's.

With regard to Bose comparisons, I think its obvious B&W is trying to go after that prosumer/apple big box "higher end" retail market and a lot of parallels are obvious in product placement/marketing/etc.  I think though that B&W actually makes products on par with their prosumer marketing.  They are a little pricey but you get what you get.  A lot of Bose stuff can actually be among the most expensive and hyped for the non-discerning listener.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back