Is Audiophile level sound an acquired taste?
Aug 19, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #31 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my bandmates (he's also my bestfriend) thinks because I care so much about the quality of sound, that I get less emotional experience from actual music than he does. I hate this conflict we have and I know that most of you at Head-fi will back me up that this is not the case necessarily.
At the same time he is lucky I care so much about sound because I do all our engineering for free:)

Sounds like your friend is better than you
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #32 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like your friend is better than you
tongue.gif

He may very well be better than me LOL

He also thinks Highway 61 is the best engineered album ever.....so when I try to emulate the recording techniques of Andy Wallace or Roger Nichols, he gets very dissatisfied. We just don't see eye to eye

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #33 of 244
haha... reminds me of how my father reacted when I told him how much the Super.Fi 5 Pros Cost.

He was really lost when I explained you can pay upwards of 1k for custom iems.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #34 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by CareyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's me but, Zeppelin never really sounds any better with better equipment. I've actually been very disappointed with how they sound on my 580s.

One band that your friends might like that amazed me on the 580s was Pink Floyd. Don't know who was in charge of the production for them but they did a great job.

I think the Floyd sound good on just about anything. They have some pretty good sounding recordings. My one daughter who does appreciate good sound a bit, listens to Floyd. The other, who has a tin ear for sound, listens to Springtseen who has really crappy sounding recordings. Some of his msuic is good but he should have fired his recording engineers.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #35 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
an acquired taste? stop praising yourself. you're just as wacky as those flashlight collectors who makes fun of others because they don't appreciate the beauty of a 1 watt led bulb. enjoy your headphone collection and let others enjoy their ibuds.

I guess the line between enjoying audio equipment and enjoying music is at issue here.

We all know people who have "lost the way" and listen more to their equipment then their music, but I really think that an appreciation of music is necessary to get into this hobby. What irks me is that some people just can't appreciate good equipment because they can't appreciate music. The people who just don't see the sense in spending $500 on headphones as much as they enjoy music are a larger set that I can emphasize with.

Then again, I have a friend who is hugely into fashion*, and they probably look at my closet full of polo's and t-shirts and get the same sinking feeling.

[size=xx-small]*ps, if you don't have one of these, get one, trust me on this[/size]

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #36 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the line between enjoying audio equipment and enjoying music is at issue here.

We all know people who have "lost the way" and listen more to their equipment then their music, but I really think that an appreciation of music is necessary to get into this hobby. What irks me is that some people just can't appreciate good equipment because they can't appreciate music. The people who just don't see the sense in spending $500 on headphones as much as they enjoy music are a larger set that I can emphasize with.

Then again, I have a friend who is hugely into fashion*, and they probably look at my closet full of polo's and t-shirts and get the same sinking feeling.

[size=xx-small]*ps, if you don't have one of these, get one, trust me on this[/size]

I have but ONE pair of beaten up shoes that are almost 2 years old. They look awful, but every time I get my paycheck I pay rent, buy food and spend money on gear or music haha.....the last girl I dated broke up with me for this reason haha

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #38 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
short answer. i think it is an acquired taste. it's the same reason that quick a/b tests are basically meaningless.

I know the arguments for and against abx testing by heart now, but under any line of reasoning I don't see how this follows at all.

If this turns into an ABX thread though I'm going to cry. Oh, the joys of being trolled
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #39 of 244
My girlfriend who was never an audiophile, liked the AKG K1000 immediately although they were poorly amped (a Cambridge Audio integrated amplifier).

It just doesn't work out for some people I guess.

Speaking of which, are any of the above musicians? I feel that audiophilia is easier to convince with musicians. I have found it easier to explain my hobby and get others into it if they are musicians themselves (I have a friend who plays the piano and got himself immediately involved in head-fi and my girlfriend plays the violin and piano). On the other hand, some others seem unconviced of the improvement and it could be because they are not musicians.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #40 of 244
Quote:

I feel like a moron for letting it bother me though. One of my friends is a really good musician too who I have respect for musically, and to hear him just dislike stuff that I know is good is somehow bothersome. It's like taking a restaurant critic to a really expensive, fancy and delicious steakhouse and having them reply "eh I woulda prefered a big mac"

Many musicians have partial hearing loss from gig volumes.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #41 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
an acquired taste? stop praising yourself. you're just as wacky as those flashlight collectors who makes fun of others because they don't appreciate the beauty of a 1 watt led bulb. enjoy your headphone collection and let others enjoy their ibuds.

ut-oh.

I like expensive headphones and flashlights.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I must be really wacky.
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #42 of 244
acquired taste? possibly, if you put it in the right context...

some people just plain don't care about music, but it's the same for everything else (like stated above). fashion, cars, photography, etc... some people know clothes and shoes like the back of their hand, but can care less if their music is coming from $2 generic PC stereo speakers -> they still work! (and we could care less if that person's shoes cost $500)

all in perspective! don't let it bother u!

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #43 of 244
I think some people just don't care so they don't appreciate it. Alot of people enjoy what they are used to and many will enjoy a $50 boom box over a $40000 system. It's a matter of priorities due to tastes.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #44 of 244
Imagine we were the dumb ones, and it turned out the apple buds produced the purest sound on earth......and companies like AKG, Stax, and Sennheiser paid companies like headroom and audiocubes to promote "less lusterous" sounding phones which looked more expensive but were in fact not the real deal - the apple ibuds! Imagine we were all fooled
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #45 of 244
Quote:

Imagine we were the dumb ones, and it turned out the apple buds produced the purest sound on earth......and companies like AKG, Stax, and Sennheiser paid companies like headroom and audiocubes to promote "less lusterous" sounding phones which looked more expensive but were in fact not the real deal - the apple ibuds! Imagine we were all fooled
evil_smiley.gif

Oh god, don't every mention that, its a tiny bit scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back