Is AKG K142 HD the right choice for me? need help...
Nov 17, 2010 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

KrMaH

New Head-Fier
Hi
Firstly, i would like to say that i am completely new to this topic. I have no experience whatsoever in the field called headphones compared to you guys out there.
Second, i would also state that i did not know anything about the existence of something called a headphone amplifier thats portable.

Ok... To business...
I have decided to buy a AKG K142HD headset. Both for portable use as well as running them with my amp.
I am an 18 year old boy who mostly listens to Death and Black Metal and some other metal subgenres on the more extreme side, as well as bands like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.
I am also a scout, and therefore reliabillity is important to me.
previously i ahve owned a Sennheiser PX100 (the best spent money in my life) and a few sets of Koss Porta Pro (not so well spent money), the latter i am not so happy with...
Okey... So in relation to this, i am getting the AKG K142HD set for use every day. That means going to school, sitting in my room, taking to friends as well as taking on scout trips and camps.
In relation to this, i have to mention that i live in Norway, and has experienced problems with the Porta Pro's cables due to the cold. In addition, Norway is commonly known (at least we like to call us) as one of the worlds extreme scouting experiences.

Together with the headset, i would mostly use my Sony Ericsson W995 cellphone (a walkman cellphone for those of you who doesnt know), my stereo reciever and my HP pavillion DV6700 laptop.

To the question, does this headset fit for me? Do i need a portable headphone amp? And most important of all, will I be satisfied?

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 13
No, I rather think the question is no one has experience with the cold in Norway =]
But other than that, Welcome to the forum.
If I may ask why did you decide on these particular headphones for death metal when their are more reliable and obvious choices out there.

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 13
Thank you :)
Well... To answer the thing about the cold in norway... Have no idea how much it is in Farenheit (sorry if i mispelled it) but at the coldest point during the winter in Norway last winter it was about -42 degrees celsius... Cant remember what source it is, but i sort of know that -40 Farenheit is -40 Celsius, so there you have the idea... Although, I live in the Oslo area, and it did not get below -35 celsius last winter.

Secondly, i have no idea why i chose the AKG K142HD's for death metal (cant consider old school norwegian black metal as they tried to have the worst recording quality ever possible) but i also listen to music that requires some sound quality, as well as me and my father really loves good sound quality.

But the looks is awesome!
and alot of my friends have a really good experience with AKG, so i decided to go for something a little more hi-end than just regular stuff (like Skull Candy and Koss) which look like something everybody else would wear (i hate "copycats" if you understand what i mean... in Norway we have our own expression for those kinda people)...

But still... Would I need an portable amp (and in that case, what should i be looking for)?

Nov 18, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 13
Well first off like I was saying earlier if you like death metal/heavy rock etc. perhaps AKG's sound signature might not be the one for you. Then again it depends on your personal tastes when it comes to music. If you can provide me and others a little more info on what you're looking for in terms of details/context then we would be happy to provide suggestions. You would'nt necessarily need a portable amp for that particular model but it really depends on your source as well.

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 13
I like a clean sound (have no idea how to say this) and a deep and solid bass wich is not too powerfull (like most people who listens to rap and hiphop would like)... It got to be able to handle high pitched guitar sounds, sort of sour like, and the bass drumms (double pedal bass mot slikely) shouldnt sound flat... Thats a problem i have with other headsets, the sound is flat and boring and not tasty and crispy, if you understand...
It might seem weird, but i think purity in the sound quality is very important... I dont want any fuzz or anything else like that... Just a clean natural sound...

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 13
Clean natural sound with tight bass and detailed highs.
Sounds like the Ms-1000 should fit nicely into those categories.

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 13
Sennheiser HD25-1 II's are the most durable headphones you can buy and i'm sure they would have no problems with the outside cold.
They also fit your music preferences perfectly.

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 13
ok, now the headphones are ordered
But I am still concerned that my mp3 (really it is a cell phone) player is too weak to drive them?
I am going to use them with a Sony Ericsson W995, and i know that on AKG's website it says that the headset can be used with mp3's and so on...
Would I need to buy an portable headphone amp? Or am I over-concerned?

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #11 of 13
They were designed to work with a mp3 player I think. My k240S(same driver) used to work fine out of my Sansa Clip. You should have nothing to worry about.

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 13
I am planning on buying either these headphones (akg k142hd) or the sony mdr-v6's. would you suggest these headphones for listening to music like rap, hip-hop, electronic/techno. How do you like the bass also?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back