iPod Touch
Sep 7, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #16 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All my ripped DVD's look good at 320x240 at just under 500kbps, using under 256Kb for 1.5 hour movies! On the small screen I can see improvements up to about 1,000kbps (500-600mb/movie) and see no point in going higher for portable use, but I rip DVD's to at least 1gb for apple tv on a 26" TV viewed from 12 feet away.

I ordered my 16gb touch yesterday. I'm now selling off a bunch of extra IEM's to help with the cost, after selling two rifles to cover the first $1,500 that I spent in the past 4 weeks for audio equipment
redface.gif

you are a harsh audiophile mate!

Sep 8, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #20 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, let me get this straight, the touch won't be available until late late September?

sucks, don't it. i'm gonna get me one as soon as i can. 16gb plenty big for me. gonna love those commutes as my transit bus has wi fi. woo hoo!!
orphsmile.gif

Sep 8, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #21 of 68
Well the reason for it being not very much talked about is obvious. It's not more an all in one device than an audiophile device and this is an audiophile forum. People want to put lots of music and listen to it for a very long time, and 16GB@ 24 hours is below the standards of most Head-Fi portable audio enthusiasts.

Sep 8, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #24 of 68
This is all too tough. I love my iMod, but I'm really intrigued with the iTouch. I decided to see if I could cut down my 35 gigs of music to get below the 14 gig mark and did so. The reality is that I have a bunch of music that I just don't listen to often, so why carry it around and just take up space. I wouldn't be watching a ton of movies on it, but when I do, it would look great. My main concern is going from the amazing sq iMod to an inferior source. Does anybody think that the dock port can be used as a line out to an amp?

Sep 8, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #25 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boatman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the docks for these the same as for the regular iPods?

The iPhone dock is the same. I assume since the Touch is an iPhone derivative, it'll be the same, too.

The caveat, at least with the iPhone, is that even though it will plug into any iPod accessory, not all of them work - and some only work partially. Most seem to work fine, though.

Sep 8, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #26 of 68
I am very happy with my 4th gen I mod for music. The internet capability is what grabs me as lower manhattan is surrounded by wifi.

Just a couple of questions.....

Sorry for my ignorance but...

What is required to access the internet other that a wifi capable area?

How much will it cost is it like cell phones$$$$$?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sep 8, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #27 of 68
The Touch is basically the iPhone minus the cell phone. I think there are a few other features missing as well (Google Maps, for instance). The larger Touch (16GB) is double the storage of the larger iPhone. Also, with the iPhone, you can access the internet without WiFi using ATT's EDGE network. The Touch ONLY has WiFi. The iPhone also has BlueTooth, though for now, only headset (not stereo, only cellphone headset) configuration is available.

The 8GB iPhone is now $399. I think the Touch is going to be about $100 less. If you already have ATT service, you should seriously consider the iPhone. Even if not, you should at least look at it as an option...

Sep 8, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #28 of 68
Here are some funny/insightful quotes gleaned from head-fi and other forums.

Re: What types of applications would you like to see hacked into the iTouch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodtouchhacks.com
definatly [sic] some type of P2P or Torrent Client because who wants to waste their money on music when im [sic] already paying $400 for the ipod… you have to admit that it would be pretty sweet to download any music you wanted, on the go, for free... and ushould [sic] be able to use wifi like bluetooth to connect to others ipods to share songs etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodtouchhacks.com
the iPod Touch can be hacked to do normal PDA-like functions and if Safari can open pages stored locally (so I can read ebooks), it looks like it’d be a jim-dandy replacement for me. Oh, and Nethack. Because anything with a processor should have a port of Nethack.
icon_smile.gif

Re: The size of the memory in the iTouch
Quote:

Originally Posted by itouch_forum
i dont care i have just about how many gigs i need, and i just want to be the first to crack the interface....

Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester
hmm i'm not so sure about a touch with a HDD, it would have to be thicker I think. None of the HDD ipods are as thin as the touch. And i'm pretty sure you won't see Jobs saying this is the new Ipod touch, we made it a little thicker this time [bold added]..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimdevices forum
There's a fair bit of speculation that they have arranged the product line so that the iPod classic with the extra disk space is for the audiophiles and the Touch is for the gadget freaks who have to have the latest thing to impress their peer geeks.

The odd thing is that I have found that the more you use an iPod, the less memory you want. [bold added]
I used to have all my music on my iPod, now it's a lot less at higher bit rates and I only really listen to a fraction of the songs on the move.

Re: iTouch in general
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd
What? Still has no Digital Out-put, no go to me.......
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GUNS
Just gotta find out how that touch sounds and can it be imodded!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassheadJazz
think the main reason why people are criticizing the touch is because it's too much of a 'tweener. It has a great screen to play movies on, but it's only 16GB. You can load up on music, but battery life isn't as long as the other players. All that being said, I love the wi-fi capability and general look of the iPod touch, so I can understand why many like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRACER
Code:

Code:
[left] [b]Previous poster said:[/b] [i]"Starbucks integration: When you get near a Starbucks location, you’ll get a Starbucks icon in iTunes Store. You can buy songs that are playing over the Starbucks music selection, and you can even look at the last 10 songs that’s been played and buy the songs there." That's soooo smart! How many people are going to do that just to try or to look cool?[/i][/left]

GTRACER responded:
I hope there's a function to buy overpriced coffee too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodtouchhacks.com forum
http://www.dottunes.net/

Use this to access your entire itunes library over wifi on your iPod Touch. The program itself is free but you have to buy the 20$ program for the iphone/ ipod touch. It has an easy to navigate menu system that works in safari. Good way to save hard drive space.

Sep 9, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #29 of 68
well, if indeed it is merely an iphone without some functions i am worried as iphone was considered by many high-end iem users to hiss almost as bad as the 2g shuffle which is no go for iem users.

i hope to hear that is is competetive in sq with the new ipod classic which seems to be the best of the best now.

Sep 9, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #30 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, if indeed it is merely an iphone without some functions i am worried as iphone was considered by many high-end iem users to hiss almost as bad as the 2g shuffle which is no go for iem users.

i hope to hear that is is competetive in sq with the new ipod classic which seems to be the best of the best now.

My suggestion is to try one for yourself. I use several sets of iems and find the background (in a quiet environment) to be very clean - ie. no hiss. Could be a few people have defective units or possibly that some cans just don't like the iPhone? Try it at a store when they're available and then decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back