iPod Touch
Sep 6, 2007 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
Lots of threads going around on the new Pods- but only one addresses the Touch model and it is mostly negative (not enough space, too much $, etc). I personally think it is pretty cool. I gave up a long time ago on the dream of carrying my whole music collection and since I update my iPods at least weekly 16 GB is not an issue for me- would rather have flash anyway. Plus all the other stuff. Def. a toy- but a pretty darn cool one if you ask me. I am somewhat concerned that SQ will suck. I hope they have improved on the iPod Video HP out (although I doubt it). I mostly ignored the iPhone threads as I wasn't interested in one- but I would imagine SQ is similar... what was the consensus on iPhone SQ?

Anyway this is def. the fanboy thread for this new gadget. Lets post whatever we have found out about this thing... and who is getting one?

Sep 6, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 68
I agree, 16gb is just fine for me...I too have my reservations about the SQ. I'm looking forward to trying one out. I sync my iPod all the time. My first iPod was an 80gb'er and it was great...but sometimes I had a hard time figuring out what I'm in the mood to listen to. So, I sold that and bought a 8gb Nano and couldn't be happier...I just sprinkle in a little of this and a little of that. Not to mention the fact the Nano is tiny!

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 68
The wifi on the touch seems to be the biggest advancement to me, although I wish they had released HD based models in addition to the flash

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 68
With 16gb, typically how many hours of video could you get on there. I have an Imod for music, so I'd probably just use the Touch for watching video and surfing the 'net.

Thanks.

Sep 6, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 68
Now apple have more advantage over zune if launch hard drive based ipod touch(probabely soon).

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by sberger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With 16gb, typically how many hours of video could you get on there. I have an Imod for music, so I'd probably just use the Touch for watching video and surfing the 'net.

Thanks.

Half an hour shows are typically 250MB and hour long shows are 450-500MB...movies around 1GB.

Sep 6, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 68
The limited storage is the hold back for me though.

I don't even mind paying for wi-fi which will be mostly redundant once you leave your house. And I like my coffee better than Starbucks
wink.gif

Playing
evil_smiley.gif
advocate here
icon10.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 68
Ordered 16gig Touch model
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 68
I think the main reason why people are criticizing the touch is because it's too much of a 'tweener. It has a great screen to play movies on, but it's only 16GB. You can load up on music, but battery life isn't as long as the other players. All that being said, I love the wi-fi capability and general look of the iPod touch, so I can understand why many like it.

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassheadJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the main reason why people are criticizing the touch is because it's too much of a 'tweener. It has a great screen to play movies on, but it's only 16GB. You can load up on music, but battery life isn't as long as the other players. All that being said, I love the wi-fi capability and general look of the iPod touch, so I can understand why many like it.

yeah, the touch isnt most practical, espesh for audiophiles who have flacs. but it sure is the sexiest ipod! i want one just for kicks, but that aint gon happen unless i win a competition!

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #14 of 68
honestly, you don't have to be a flac-head if you are an audiophile. any format even low quality can be audiophile. with all the conjecture and superstition on audiophile sites anyway, we might as well just use 32kbps and at least have a true difference to fight about.

the 16b seems perfect to me. it is not too small. i can transfer a new movie into it (assuming i will watch one - i don't care to bother) in minutes and new songs in about 20 minutes - that is a shower. i have music i never listen to and never will. mp3 and thousands of songs are fine for me on an afternoon.

imagine the sad old days when we only had a few cd's to carry around with us - now we demand to have everything. 16gb is more than enough. i am actually quite happy with 1gb and listening to a just a few cd's all day.

audio quality i am sure will not be detrimental. the only time apple have released something bad has been with the 2g shuffle. it is not however terrible. it hisses and has some roll-off of high and smear in the middle but no worse than most dap out there.

i am excited to hear the touch as it will be what i buy - for sure. using hec 264 compression and aac audio files will mean that even movies can be had and quality assured at around 1gb. 16gb or 8 even is plenty as long as it does not hiss too much or perform much outside what i expect from apple.

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #15 of 68
All my ripped DVD's look good at 320x240 at just under 500kbps, using under 256Kb for 1.5 hour movies! On the small screen I can see improvements up to about 1,000kbps (500-600mb/movie) and see no point in going higher for portable use, but I rip DVD's to at least 1gb for apple tv on a 26" TV viewed from 12 feet away.

I ordered my 16gb touch yesterday. I'm now selling off a bunch of extra IEM's to help with the cost, after selling two rifles to cover the first $1,500 that I spent in the past 4 weeks for audio equipment
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back