iPod touch selling like hotcakes
Oct 6, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #46 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No hacking required, it works with alac and wave out of the box.

You mean .flac? Are you sure?

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #48 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by stan11003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried ordering a touch from Amazon. Amazon has changed the estimate delivery twice so far. Supposedly it will take 2 weeks to get a touch, even with a pre-order. That demand for this 16GB mp3 player is higher than supply.

What's the hurry? There'll be a dramatic price cut in a few months, so why not buy it then?

Or am I missing the point?
cool.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #51 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not just that the screen is multitouch, it's that it's just so damn smart. I've used other touch screen devices and most of them needed a stylus because you need pinpoint accuracy, you have to be exactly inside the "button" or whatever your clicking on to work. Other hand operated touch screen devices I've used either had a wide open gui so you have large buttons to fit your fingers, or they just had smaller buttons but are a pain to use because of all the missed button presses.

The screen on the touch however knows what your clicking on, you can be in a list of small font links, and tap your finger over your selection, usually you're still making contact with the link above and the link below, but it still picks the one you're tapping on directly ignoring the ones that you are partially touching. On any other touch screen device I've used this just doesn't happen, it's just a frustration of wrong clicks. This is one of the number one factors of why this device is just so easy to use and why the interface is such a hit.
This coupled with the ease of the pinch zoom is why to me, safari on this is the best mobile browser. Sure there are other browsers with more function, but this one has way more usability.

Actually, the Archos is very sensitive to touch as well. My sister's friend navigates it with one of her fingernails and its still sensitive enough that I can use my fat thumb to select exactly what I want with pinpoint accuracy. Also unlike the IPod Touch, it also has tactile buttons on the side so if you really don't like touching the screen anyway, you can navigate with the buttons.

I'm not saying the Archos is everyone's cup of tea; certainly it is nearly 3 time s as large as the Touch. But it has what a lot of people argue are some of the Touch's best qualities:

1). Same Size Screen
2). Touch Screen User Interface
3). Touch Sensitivity
4). Excellent web browsing capability with a solid browser

Oct 6, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #52 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
certainly it is nearly 3 time s as large as the Touch

its actually nearly 3.5 times the size as the touch. (3.43)

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #53 of 115
I really like the look and ease of use of the Touch, however I have a question. Can you play songs off it based on directory structure? For example if I have a folder of 10 tracks, and they aren't all the same artist, can I just have it play that folder without ****ing up my tagging or interrupting my play? While my music is generally all tagged, there are some mistakes here and there.

And just to verify, you have to use itunes to transfer music to it? I can't just drag and drop a folder?

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #54 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the look and ease of use of the Touch, however I have a question. Can you play songs off it based on directory structure? For example if I have a folder of 10 tracks, and they aren't all the same artist, can I just have it play that folder without ****ing up my tagging or interrupting my play? While my music is generally all tagged, there are some mistakes here and there.

And just to verify, you have to use itunes to transfer music to it? I can't just drag and drop a folder?

If you use a DB structured DAP like the iPod, you have to get your tags in order. Now you can mimic lots of file-tree traits (especially on OS X with iTunes Applescripting), however you have to use tags. iTunes won't mess up your tags unless you give it control to, but if you have 10 tracks in say a '60s folder' it's probably best to tag the artist '60s' and then the tracks 'songname - artist'. You can set compilations and do other things, but I'd recommend that. Again if you don't want to deal with proper tags and a DB, you probably don't want a DAP that uses DBs instead of manual file-tree.

Oct 7, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #55 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use a DB structured DAP like the iPod, you have to get your tags in order. Now you can mimic lots of file-tree traits (especially on OS X with iTunes Applescripting), however you have to use tags. iTunes won't mess up your tags unless you give it control to, but if you have 10 tracks in say a '60s folder' it's probably best to tag the artist '60s' and then the tracks 'songname - artist'. You can set compilations and do other things, but I'd recommend that. Again if you don't want to deal with proper tags and a DB, you probably don't want a DAP that uses DBs instead of manual file-tree.

Everything is tagged in tag&rename, I just like having easy access to things. Issues mainly come in when I have albums with "Various Artists" or compilations.

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #56 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say, I'm very impressed by my Touch's sound quality. It's very clean. The bass is nice and warm.
Probably one of the better sounding DAP's I've used, along with my Zune.

You know, the other day I spent a few hours listening to music (mixture of loss-less and 320mpg) on my iPhone w/e500s. Sounded great.

Does the touch use a different dac than the iPhone?

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #58 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the Archos is very sensitive to touch as well. My sister's friend navigates it with one of her fingernails and its still sensitive enough that I can use my fat thumb to select exactly what I want with pinpoint accuracy. Also unlike the IPod Touch, it also has tactile buttons on the side so if you really don't like touching the screen anyway, you can navigate with the buttons.

I'm not saying the Archos is everyone's cup of tea; certainly it is nearly 3 time s as large as the Touch. But it has what a lot of people argue are some of the Touch's best qualities:

1). Same Size Screen
2). Touch Screen User Interface
3). Touch Sensitivity
4). Excellent web browsing capability with a solid browser

actually the screen size is bigger. it's got a 4.2 inch screen vs a 3.5. also the screen resolution is 800x400 vs the the ipod touch's 480 by 320.

this is the 605 right? if it's the 604 the screen resolution is 480X272

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #59 of 115
@ Kikkomang --> Right you are. The 605 has a bigger screen and the older 604 has a smaller, though fairly substantial screen, than the Touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back