iPod nano released
Sep 8, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #166 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Seriously, the threads on the Nano are some of the funniest I've seen here in a while. The gyrations some go through to try to knock iPods are hilarious.

seconded.
rolleyes.gif

(emphasised section in original quote added by me)

Sep 8, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #167 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
The WM8975 that it uses has an output capacitorless mode. Judging from the PCB, it looks like they're using that mode. That should mean that the Nano doesn't have the bass rolloff issues with low impedance headphones that the older iPods (but not the Shuffle) did.

Ok, so googling came up with a couple sites that show this is the same chip as is in the 4g ipod, not the shuffle.
http://ipodlinux.org/4g_Chip_Gallery
http://www4.head-fi.com/forums/printthread.php?t=105123

What makes you say it's using the capacitorless mode, and why would that affect the bass rolloff?

<puts credit card back in pocket>

Sep 8, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #168 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Ok, so googling came up with a couple sites that show this is the same chip as is in the 4g ipod, not the shuffle.
http://ipodlinux.org/4g_Chip_Gallery
http://www4.head-fi.com/forums/printthread.php?t=105123

What makes you say it's using the capacitorless mode, and why would that affect the bass rolloff?

<puts credit card back in pocket>

Yeah, I'm wiping up my own drool and waiting for some SQ and build quality reports from everyone else. Of course, I just recently bought a Shuffle.
mad.gif

I am so tempted to just buy the darn thing, but I'm going to try to exercise some self-discipline for once.

Please post your reviews soon!

Also, any further news on the line out issue?

BTW, I hate the idea of the headphone out on the bottom.

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #170 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
BTW, I hate the idea of the headphone out on the bottom.

I felt the same way at first. But try this little mental exercise and you may change your mind as I did.

Imagine the thing is in a pocket--any pocket. Remove it and turn to player's screen right-side up. Notice that with the headphone out on the bottom this is done in one smooth motion.

Now try a flip case. These are usually a pain because the cable is routed through a cutout in the top of the case.

Imagine an armband. Simply look down and the screen is properly oriented. Same with a belt clip.

I don't know about you, but I think they did it right after all.

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #171 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad

I don't know about you, but I think they did it right after all.

I understand your points, but it still bugs me. Maybe I just need to retrain myself. Would it be difficult for them to manufacture the thing with a headphone out on both top and bottom?

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #172 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
The WM8975 that it uses has an output capacitorless mode. Judging from the PCB, it looks like they're using that mode. That should mean that the Nano doesn't have the bass rolloff issues with low impedance headphones that the older iPods (but not the Shuffle) did.

so how do you know there isn't going to be an bass roll off?

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #173 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
Hopefully, this summer or the next I'm going to be attempting to climb this:
mount_mckinley1.jpg

For some reason, bears and snow just don't use electricity like we do.

Thus, 14 hours isn't enough.

Well, if I were going on that climb I would insist that no one be allowed to use a player of any sort. I wouldn't want anything to muffle my screams.
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #175 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
I understand your points, but it still bugs me. Maybe I just need to retrain myself. Would it be difficult for them to manufacture the thing with a headphone out on both top and bottom?

Sure would. It's only .27 inches thick and the screen is at the top. Imagine if it were on the side as it is on the X5.

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #177 of 265
When the Mini was inrtoduced 90% of us hated it and it turned out to be a success. It seems the lovers and haters of the Nano are split 50/50 so this thing might turn out to be a bigger hit.

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #178 of 265
ok this is bad... im certainly no apple fanboy, having spent a good deal of the last two years buying/trying everything short of an ipod... but i awoke at 3am today thinking to myself, wow that sure is tiny..... got up to just "take a look at some pictures of it"

needless to say a black 4gig should be shipping to me today
frown.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #179 of 265
Lite WSJ review.

BTW, we should track which members like the nano now and then hates it when it becomes popular.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #180 of 265
Ah sht, I shouldn't have my credit card memorized.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back