iPod nano released
Sep 8, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #136 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestrel
On the battery issue - I am quite often away from home for days / weeks at a time. Some of this time could be spent away from a dock or possible charging method. Battery life is important
smily_headphones1.gif
14 hours can go by very very quickly.

It must really go by when you're that deep in the jungle.
wink.gif

What do you do that is so remote that you don't have access to an electrical outlet for weeks at a time? I lived (if you can call it living) for a year on the most northwestern tip of Iceland and I thought that was remote.

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #137 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
apple says you don't need a screen, so suddenly someone realises screen is useless all along. now apply says 14hrs is enough, so fans thinks 'who needs more than 14 hrs anyway?'. there are times when more than 14 hrs is necessary. like last night i was listening to my sony hd5 and i fell asleep. that is 8 hrs there. i took it to work to day. 1 hrs gone. listening to it at work plugged in to speakers will probably take up around 6 hrs. and the sony hd5 still has juice to last me thru the journey home tonight. :p

Err what? Apple now says 14 hrs is enough? Listen I was a little disappointed by the battery life too, but Apple has had 10 hours and 8 hour iPods previously. Many players rate similarly. Is 30 hrs enough? Compared to several Sonys it's crap. It depends where you're coming from, but I think the market has spoken for what's required for success/most use. Look at cell phones. Pushing battery life stopped five years ago. Now it's size. Maybe it's the same here.

Besides the iPod would turn off while you were asleep after an album was complete. So in the morning you'd have say 13 hours left.

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #138 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodent
Well yeah, I have a mini so I know that it exceeded the specifications, at first. My real point was that size doesn't do jack for battery life though
wink.gif

I was just saying that the battery must be very small to fit in the Nano and therefore, it's pretty good IMO to get 14 hours out of a battery that small.

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #139 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
You regularly listen to 14 hours of music in one sitting? Where do I sign up for your life?
wink.gif

Fourteen? The dude's done told you he won't settle for less than 30!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, the threads on the Nano are some of the funniest I've seen here in a while. The gyrations some go through to try to knock iPods are hilarious.

Sep 8, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #141 of 265
This almost makes me want to deal with frequent updating of music lists, but I still think that I'll wait for the 5g ipod for the ultimate in lossless capacity.

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #143 of 265
just ordered the 4gig black, 14hours of battery life is more then enough time for my commute to+from work and 8-10hrs while at work.

cant wait to get my hands on it!

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #144 of 265
3 things I want to know:

1) sound quality - shuffle or ipod?

2) plug on the bottom - is it the regular ipod connector or not? will my sik din fit in it, and will it fit into my regular ipod dock? I want to know what this 'connector' thingy is. the dock port Does still have a line out, right...??

3) Are they going to come out with an 8gb flash player in two months that will make these obsolete or drop in price dramatically? The mini g2 couldn't have been out very long at all before they axed it.

I'm trying not to be tempted. It looks very nice - a little oblong, but the thinness is impressive. 14 hours for a flash player is not so impresive, though, especially when a harddrive player can have over 30. I wish they had made the nano a tiiiiny bit thicker and/or wider and gotten it up to ~20 hours. 14 hours is making me think twice.

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #146 of 265
Quote:

Err what? Apple now says 14 hrs is enough? Listen I was a little disappointed by the battery life too, but Apple has had 10 hours and 8 hour iPods previously. Many players rate similarly. Is 30 hrs enough? Compared to several Sonys it's crap. It depends where you're coming from, but I think the market has spoken for what's required for success/most use. Look at cell phones. Pushing battery life stopped five years ago. Now it's size. Maybe it's the same here.

Besides the iPod would turn off while you were asleep after an album was complete. So in the morning you'd have say 13 hours left.

well, anyway, i think 14 hrs should be enough for most people. i was seriously hoping for an 8gb player as rumored as i need that kind of capacity.

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #147 of 265
No improvement in sound quality, no FM, no mic, no custom EQ and it looks ugly as hell.

No thanks.

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #148 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
3 things I want to know:

1) sound quality - shuffle or ipod?

2) plug on the bottom - is it the regular ipod connector or not? will my sik din fit in it, and will it fit into my regular ipod dock? I want to know what this 'connector' thingy is. the dock port Does still have a line out, right...??

3) Are they going to come out with an 8gb flash player in two months that will make these obsolete or drop in price dramatically? The mini g2 couldn't have been out very long at all before they axed it.

I'm trying not to be tempted. It looks very nice - a little oblong, but the thinness is impressive. 14 hours for a flash player is not so impresive, though, especially when a harddrive player can have over 30. I wish they had made the nano a tiiiiny bit thicker and/or wider and gotten it up to ~20 hours. 14 hours is making me think twice.

1) Unknown. iLounge said "same as iPods".

2) Should. Apple includes a plastic universal 'adapter' (think spacer on some iPod speakers systems for iPods and iPod mini) to use with current third party accessories. This is probably a good sign for the port being consistant with past iPods.

3) Highly doubt it. Two months is likely too soon. Dramatic drop is price is also unlikely because of rumored Sansumg memory prices. Also Apple has reported gobbled up all 8Gb sticks for the rest of the year so I'd guess the deal has already been made. End of January at Macworld (they'll probably have some iPod update - maybe video)? Maybe. Lots of people expecting 'colors' to come back then, but who knows.

Sep 8, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #149 of 265
Should anyone want to see a video stream of the announcement (including comparisons with players by Sony, iRiver, Creative, etc.) see here. Skip 2/3rd of the way if you want just to see the nano.

Sep 8, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #150 of 265
Quote:

1) Unknown. iLounge said "same as iPods".

Do you know if the ipodlounge was able to distinguish a sound quality difference between the shuffle and the regular ipods?

I hope they weren't...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back