iPod nano released
Sep 9, 2005 at 8:54 AM Post #196 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
BTW, we should track which members like the nano now and then hates it when it becomes popular.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think that's an unfair comment. I would never purchase an iPod or an iPod mini for various reasons. The Nano looks very attractive and ultra portable and I would consider purchasing it on those grounds even if it employs the same illogical wheel navigation interface as other iPods. But I wouldn't be afraid to slay it if I didn't like the way it sounds.

Sep 9, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #197 of 265
Quote:

Lite WSJ review.

BTW, we should track which members like the nano now and then hates it when it becomes popular.
very_evil_smiley.gif

This is dissapointing. I'm looking for comments regarding the SQ, and the only I thing I can read is that it sounds good connected to the car speakers while driving at 70mph on a convertible with the top down. Some people shouldn't do audio reviews.

I want something sounding like the shuffle but with lossless support. I was amazed when I realized the Shuffle was sounding much better than the Full Size Ipod. I felt better when I realized I wasn't the only one after read some post here later. I thought there was something wrong with my 60 GB iPod.
confused.gif

Cheers

Sep 9, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #198 of 265
iLounge posted a pretty in-depth review with lots of pictures, and a brief mention of sound quality (they test with Ultimate Ears UE-10s). They say it doesn't appear to improve over the existing color screen ipod's sound, but they need further testing to say for sure.

Linky

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #199 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
The Nano looks very attractive and ultra portable and I would consider purchasing it on those grounds even if it employs the same illogical wheel navigation interface as other iPods.

Illogical? Either you've never used an iPod or you're simply trolling. I suspect the latter, but that's okay--it's all fun.
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #200 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Illogical? Either you've never used an iPod or you're simply trolling. I suspect the latter, but that's okay--it's all fun.
tongue.gif

Ciiiirrrrcle... rooouunnnd... rrrrouuuuund! So, uhhhh, confusing, uhh... must distinguish... must distinghhhuish turning... left and... uhh... riiight
rolleyes.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #201 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
I think that's an unfair comment. I would never purchase an iPod or an iPod mini for various reasons. The Nano looks very attractive and ultra portable and I would consider purchasing it on those grounds even if it employs the same illogical wheel navigation interface as other iPods. But I wouldn't be afraid to slay it if I didn't like the way it sounds.

Err... I didn't say you couldn't criticize it now for a variety of reasons (price, gapless, etc.), I just predict there will be a lot of members will dislike it once it becomes popular. Although I'd never deny many in the general public purchase the iPods because it's already popular (I'm hip 'cause I have an iPod), there's no denying there's a percent who while 'defining themselves' do the opposite (I'm an individual 'cause I have something more indie than your iPod). There's a ton of 'Best MP3 player (not iPod)" threads and those who say they want to avoid the "obnoxious iPod" "'cause everyone and their brother has one". Course there's a ton of players and you may prefer a different one. I'm just saying the comments I see regularily. We'll see, but if the nano is as big as many of us expect, watch for the coming backlash. And as much as the 'iPod as fashion accessory' line gets tossed about, at least on Head-Fi I see it much more on the I don't want it as my fashion accessory side. Present 'black nano is so sexy' threads excluded.
wink.gif

And please oh please explain the 'illogical' remark.

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #202 of 265
Thanks tennisets, I did read the iPodlounge one as well but I don't trust this site regarding SQ, after reading the review for some headphones. I'm not saying they are crap, though. Don't get me wrong.

As usual, the best you can do it is to try by yourself. Unfortunately I did call by phone to the London Applestore and the black ones are sold out. I have to wait for another week.
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #203 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
New Nano looks cool. It continues the same line as its predecessors but gets smaller. I like it. Maybe this will be my first Mp3-player. Though it's sad that price is so high here in Europe.

209EUR for the 2GB and 269EUR for 4GB version.

Isn't that more or less the exact difference that results from having to pay 22% VAT?

/JF

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #204 of 265
Not quite, but close.

$199USD ~ 160€. 160*1,20 (average VAT for EU) = 192€ (straight Euro price is 209€ in Apple Store Austria, where vat is exact 20%)

$249 ~ 200€. 200*1,20 = 240e (259€ in Austria again).

The difference is not mortal and there could be some protective custom fees as well, who knows.

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #205 of 265
Quote:

I'm hip 'cause I have an iPod

Of course we independent leader types--you know, the trend setters--take a different view: The iPod is hip 'cause I have one!
icon10.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #206 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Not quite, but close.

$199USD ~ 160€. 160*1,20 (average VAT for EU) = 192€ (straight Euro price is 209€ in Apple Store Austria, where vat is exact 20%)

$249 ~ 200€. 200*1,20 = 240e (259€ in Austria again).

The difference is not mortal and there could be some protective custom fees as well, who knows.

Is there an antipiracy/"cassette" fee applied to the Applestore Ipods? IIRC they were all shipped from the same place, UK was it?

/JF

Sep 9, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #207 of 265
News article on the response by Korean domestic manufactures. We'll see if there are any ripples.

Sep 9, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #208 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Of course we independent leader types--you know, the trend setters--take a different view: The iPod is hip 'cause I have one!
icon10.gif

Seconded
cool.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #209 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
iLounge posted a pretty in-depth review with lots of pictures, and a brief mention of sound quality (they test with Ultimate Ears UE-10s). They say it doesn't appear to improve over the existing color screen ipod's sound, but they need further testing to say for sure.

Yes, but in their shuffle review, they said that it sounded the same as the regular ipod also, when we know that there is a difference. So, unfortunately I don't think we're going to get any reliable sq critique until a head-fier does it.

However, I'm suspecting that it will sound More like the full ipod than the shuffle, since it uses a Wolfson chip, even if the chip is improved. I'm going to expect a full-size ipod sound until I hear otherwise.
plainface.gif

BTW, did everyone have to pay tax, or was I just unlucky by being in a particular state?

Sep 9, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #210 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
So, unfortunately I don't think we're going to get any reliable sq critique until a head-fier does it.

You actually think the critiques around here are reliable?
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back