iPod nano released
Sep 9, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #211 of 265
No, but at least the members are voluble and descriptive enough for us to be able to figure out exactly how unreliable it may be
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #212 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Illogical? Either you've never used an iPod or you're simply trolling. I suspect the latter, but that's okay--it's all fun.
tongue.gif

Neither, I'm afraid. One of the things I have studied, albeit a long time ago, is HCI (human-computer interaction). It now plays a major part in my job (I am an IT Consultant - at least one kind of them).

It is illogical to use a rotating interface to navigate, essentially, up/down & left/right. I guess, we approve the iPod's interface because we are an illogical race.

The proof that the iPod's navigation interface (the click-wheel) is not logical lies with the fact that a blind person can not navigate through it. At a point onwards, one would be moving circularly upwards while scrolling down and vice-versa.

Should it matter? I guess not. Good interfaces are as rare as they come; even on MS Windows I have to click 'Start' in order to stop using my computer (i.e. shut down)...

Yes. It's all good fun.

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #213 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
It is illogical to use a rotating interface to navigate, essentially, up/down & left/right. I guess, we approve the iPod's interface because we are an illogical race.

The proof that the iPod's navigation interface (the click-wheel) is not logical lies with the fact that a blind person can not navigate through it. At a point onwards, one would be moving circularly upwards while scrolling down and vice-versa.

Emmanuel, I agree with some of your points, but disagree a tad on how much it applies for anyone who has had the experience of driving a car and turning right while going up a hill.
wink.gif

On that note blind drivers scare me!

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #214 of 265
Navigating a car is extremely logical and a blind person shouldn't have any trouble with the 'interface' (loosely defined here). The only problem for a blind person driving a car does not have actually anything to do with the car itself... It's avoiding the obstacles.

Mind you, many sighted drivers have the same problem...

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #215 of 265
Quote:

A rotating interface is much quicker than buttons, and more ergonomic than vertical touchpads. It is less logical, but rotary controls have become so common (on radios, climate controls, computer mice) that it isn't really an issue for most people. Besides, there's practically no learning curve. The only place I've found rotary controls to be counterintuitive is on my microwave, and that has nothing to do with moving up/down.

Sep 9, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #217 of 265
If my wife can understand how to use it in the first minute, then it is intuitive

You can argue all you want about being "illogical", but the real proof is that real people have no trouble using it. That's all that matters. Intuitive UI == good UI.

Blind people are a different story....their needs are different. I do accessibility useability testing for UI (blind and deaf people).

Sep 9, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #218 of 265
Quote:

It is illogical to use a rotating interface to navigate, essentially, up/down & left/right.

Perhaps it will appear more logical if you think of it as up/down or left/right, which is, in fact, how it works. This is why menu navigation with the iPod is immediately intuited by most or us. It's hardly like steering a car, old chap.
tongue.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #219 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
No, but at least the members are voluble and descriptive enough for us to be able to figure out exactly how unreliable it may be
tongue.gif

and speaking as head fi member with a brand new nano.... Right now my new toy is just to much fun to be able to do a rational, analytical test of it right now.
lambda.gif

After i get over the 'boy this thing is cool" stage I will look at it more closely. For good or bad I think it sounds at least as good as any other ipod I have except maybe my lowly shuffle. When I get home I will confirm, but I think it still may have an edge.

Sep 9, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #220 of 265
Did you guys happen to see this from Playlist Magazine:

"It’s also the first iPod that includes an unplayed podcasts indicator (a small blue dot that appears next to podcasts you haven’t yet listened to) and a Lyrics screen where you can view any lyrics added to a track within iTunes’ song information window.

And, as you might expect, it sounds as good as any other iPod you’ve owned."

I know, I know, it's just "incrementalism," but still a nice little touch.

Sep 10, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #221 of 265
Quote:

even on MS Windows I have to click 'Start' in order to stop using my computer (i.e. shut down)...

Well, to stop using the computer you do need to "start" the shutdown process in fact.
biggrin.gif
Technically speaking it is perfectly logical.

Anyway, Human Computer Interfaces are fertile ground for endless discussions that have little to do with actual effectiveness of the interface. The test of an HCI is in the people using it, not in people analyzing it. If people start using it without a problem then it's intuitive and then it's good. The proof of intuitiveness and easy of use is not in any debate no matter how logical, it's in the slope of the learning curve and adoption rate for the masses.

Sep 10, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #222 of 265
Considering that the nano is the first flash-based DAP to have four gigs of capacity, does it stand any advantage compared to HD-based players in playing back low or uncompressed files such as WAV or AIFF? If yes, that would be another reason to get the Nano in addition to what older ipods one may have (i.e. the Nano would function exactly like a portable carousel cd player).
eek.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #223 of 265
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masolino
Considering that the nano is the first flash-based DAP to have four gigs of capacity, does it stand any advantage compared to HD-based players in playing back low or uncompressed files such as WAV or AIFF? If yes, that would be another reason to get the Nano in addition to what older ipods one may have (i.e. the Nano would function exactly like a portable carousel cd player).
eek.gif

Ideally there should be no load time and no lag at all.. much better than a portable CDP
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #225 of 265
after a day or so of thinking - if it sounds as good as the suffle, i'll take it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back