IPOD LOD Cables review: APureSound, Qables Silvercab pro, Whiplash Audio Elite SCSCag (30 Nov 09 Updated)
Nov 14, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #31 of 48
The Whiplash Elite SCSCag Viablue is the best sounding IMO. For some reason there is noticeable clarity with this one over the others. I'm not sure if its the Viablue, the SCSCag or the combination of the two. They're having discount pricing right now so its a great deal for a higher end LOD.

I use with an RSA Shadow, Senn 600 (for the test) but also used with Denon D2000 (MarkL mod), X10, G2a and NE8 headphones.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #35 of 48
Wow...you win some, you....win some.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitor Teixeira /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...if the diference is slightly, would you even so, recomend any of these 3 LOD?
I currently use one LOD bought from iBasso (CB03), but from what ive read in this thread im tempted to make an upgrade, (im thinking in the Elite SCSCag Viablue).
I will use iPod Touch 2G 32GB as a source, iBasso D4 as amp, and AT-ESW9.
I know its very subjective, but to someone who's starting to learn and understand this audioworld, will it be an efective upgrade?
Thanks.

Consider the price of some of these expensive LODs, then the price of a pair of headphones or the cost of the iPod or DAP. Now if you've just dropped $1300 or whatever it is on JH-13s and $3-500 on an amp, then fair enough if you spend 1/10th of that total on a LOD, but otherwise, considering that an iPod or DAP is far from the greatest music source, all but the cheaper ones look rather crazily expensive i retrospect. Most of what you'll get is a slight tonal change, and less harshness going from something cheap. As I said before, most of what you're paying for is the labour of building them, but the parts cost of a $200 LOD isn't as different in cost as that of a $60. I'd say though that the 3.5mm plug possibly makes more of a difference to the sound than the wire.

Nov 30, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #41 of 48
From my listening experience:
Different cable material/construction sounds different, you can try a pure copper wire and a pure silver wire and hear the difference.
Cable burn-in usually improves the sound coherence, but the sound signature does not change.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #43 of 48
What would your recommendation be for a quality, entry level iPod/iPhone LOD?  I've seen some guys mention stevenkelby and barqy cables, but I'm looking around the 25-35 range (definitely no more than 50)...

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #44 of 48

Quote:
What would your recommendation be for a quality, entry level iPod/iPhone LOD?  I've seen some guys mention stevenkelby and barqy cables, but I'm looking around the 25-35 range (definitely no more than 50)...

Ask yourself first, do cables really matter? Do you personally believe that a cable isn't just a cable? If so, spend the money. If not, then buy any that functionally can do the job and seem like they are put together soundly. A lod will get its ass kicked (they're just an awkward item that will undoubtedly get beat up).

Based on personal experience, a LOD isn't all that unless it has an exit from the lod jack from the side (it sticks out to the left or right not from the bottom), and has a right angled connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back