IPOD LOD Cables review: APureSound, Qables Silvercab pro, Whiplash Audio Elite SCSCag (30 Nov 09 Updated)
Nov 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

williamchc

100+ Head-Fier
Testing equipment: IPod Classic 120G, RSA Predator, Westone ES3, Klipsch Image X10
Cables: APureSound LOD (Switchcraft connector with Cotton/carbon insulation), Qables Silvercab Pro LOD, Whiplash Audio Elite SCSCag LOD (ViaBlue connector)
Music Format: Apple Lossless (CD->WAV->M4A)
100_0040-1.jpg

100_0041-1.jpg

Westone ES3, my favourite IEM, which is mostly used in the listening

OK. Let’s get started~

100_0045-1.jpg

APuresound LOD:
APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC.

Bass is strong, deep, with good extension, but not too much and muddy at all; Midrange is quite forward, but smooth. Treble is clean and grain-free. Sounds energetic and exciting. Emphasis on midrange and bass. Very musical. However, soundstage is a relatively small which compared with the other two, others are fine. Especially suitable for pop, rock music and vocal.

150+ hours burn-in

Treble: 8.5
Mid: 8.8
Bass: 9
Soundstage: 8
Transparency: 8.3
Neutrality: 8.4
Value: 8.2

Overall: 8.5

30 hours burn-in
Treble: 8
Mid: 8.5
Bass: 8.5
Soundstage: 8
Transparency: 8
Neutrality: 8.3
Value: 8.2

100_0044.jpg

Qables Silvercab Pro LOD:
Qables | High Quality Custom Made Qables
Bass is surprisingly deep and well defined. Detailed midrange, pleasant and elegant sounding. Treble has good extension, smooth and clean. Very neutral sounding. High coherence of treble, mid and bass. Balanced sound, wide soundstage, superb neutrality. Musicality is a bit less which compared with the other two. Suitable for every kinds of music.

800+ hours burn-in

Treble: 8.5
Mid: 8.3
Bass: 8.2
Soundstage: 8.5
Transparency: 8.5
Neutrality: 9
Value: 8.5

Overall: 8.5

100_0042-1.jpg

Whiplash Audio Elite SCSCag LOD:
Elite SCSCag Viablue LOD - Whiplash Audio - iPod and iPhone Cables - Cables

Awesome! Silky and clear treble with great extension, good Instrumental positioning. Emotional, detailed and airy vocal. Wide open soundstage, especially the width. Very comfortable sounding. However, bass is a bit not deep and strong enough which compared with the other two. Transparency is wonderful, very impressive. Especially suitable for jazz, vocal, piano and string instrument.

150+ hours burn-in (Bass improved a lot after 150 hours burn-in)

Treble: 9.1
Mid: 9
Bass: 8
Soundstage: 9
Transparency: 9
Neutrality: 8.7
Value: 9.5

Overall: 8.9

80 hours burn-in

Treble: 9
Mid: 9
Bass: 7.5
Soundstage: 9
Transparency: 9
Neutrality: 8.5
Value: 9.5

Overall: 8.8

100_0048.jpg

100_0050.jpg

To sum up, if you want better bass on your IPod, APuresound LOD is a good choice. If you want a neutral sounding LOD and listen to many kinds of music, Qables Silvercab Pro LOD is your cub of tea. If you are a treble lover and want to open up the soundstage more, Whiplash Audio Elite SCSCag LOD is no doubt the way to go. In addition, it is now having promotion with the special price, which is an incredible bargain. Finally, I hope my review is useful for you who want to find a fine LOD.
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 48
thanks mate! it's what I've been looking for!

Would anyone be able to chime in with performance based on the cheaper cables and if that had a drastic impression on performance? I quite like the output of my IE8s at the moment. I do hope the Whiplash ones won't kill the bass too much. But from that review, the toss up for me would be between the Qables and Whiplash. Again, thanks ever so much for that!

ooh. forgot to ask, this may not be relevant, but how would you rate the build qualities of them?

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 48
You're welcome~
Long time before, I've been using some cheaper cables from China, they are quite good in value, but most of them lacks neutrality. For me, the performance is quite distinct.

Whiplash ones won't kill the bass too much unless you are one of the bass head~

Maybe the APuresound and Whipash one needs more time to burn-in, I just burn-in the APuresound one for ~30 hrs and the Whiplash one for ~80-100 hrs

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 48
I'm definitely not a bass head, but I do like my beats =)

I love the IE8s dialed down to the lowest setting though. But at the moment, I might plunge for the Whiplash. I'll see how the iBasso CB03 cable goes and then I'll have to make a decision.

iBasso

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice write up. It appears that Craig used my SCSCag for the above cable, let it "run in" for a 150 hours, or so, I think you'll be surprised how the bass comes around.

Peace,

Lee

Thanks. I'll let it burn in for a longer time.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by cravenz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ooh. forgot to ask, this may not be relevant, but how would you rate the build qualities of them?

All of them have top notch quality, seems that they all have great durability too.

But if I rate, Qables silvercab pro LOD worth 9 in build qualities, APS LOD worth 8.5 since the cable is a bit crooked right near the Ipod adaptor, SCSCag LOD worth 8.7 since there is a tiny glue trace near the Ipod adaptor

P.S. Since I've been told that the APS and SCSCag both needs ~150 hours to reach its full potential, I'll compare them again afterwards if they showed significant improvements.
P.P.S. The Silvercab Pro LOD already reached 800 hours.
P.P.P.S. Unlike RCA, XLR, mini cables, burn in the LOD cables are very troublesome, I need to recharge the battery of my IPC again and again...

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by williamchc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of them have top notch quality, seems that they all have great durability too.

But if I rate, Qables silvercab pro LOD worth 9 in build qualities, APS LOD worth 8.5 since the cable is a bit crooked right near the Ipod adaptor, SCSCag LOD worth 8.7 since there is a tiny glue trace near the Ipod adaptor

P.S. Since I've been told that the APS and SCSCag both needs ~150 hours to reach its full potential, I'll compare them again afterwards if they showed significant improvements.
P.P.S. The Silvercab Pro LOD already reached 800 hours.
P.P.P.S. Unlike RCA, XLR, mini cables, burn in the LOD cables are very troublesome, I need to recharge the battery of my IPC again and again...

Yeah I think the thing I worry about is the cable quality and the chances are cos' it's portable, it'll get pushed around a fair bit especially since the cable sticks out like a sore thumb. And I kinda feel safer if all the plugs I see didn't look half done, e.g. glue sticking out etc, though it's not a big issue and I'll probably try the whiplash cable though I will wait till I fly back till I get it. It's just nicer to have peace of mind sometimes. lol.

thanks though and yeah. I'm still thinking whether I should upgrade from the iBasso cable and it's a bit annoying that I have to turn my phone to aeroplane mode. lol.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 48
I've just ordered a Whiplash Audio Elite SCSCag LOD.
I'll post some impressions when it arrives. I'm currently using a £10 Canare cable LOD I bought from E-Bay. Hopefully it was money well spent?

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-fi Wigwammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just ordered a Whiplash Audio Elite SCSCag LOD.
I'll post some impressions when it arrives. I'm currently using a £10 Canare cable LOD I bought from E-Bay. Hopefully it was money well spent?

Cool give us a heads up on how it goes. I'd really like to know the difference between both =P

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the whiplash audio product. I enjoy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lots of people do. The issue really is, what difference does it make as compared to a cheaper cable that costs less than 50 USD. Would the difference be that much more noticeable if there is one..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back