Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #2,146 of 3,645
Quote:
i've tried UBI files r867-r859, r708, r692, and r674 - same result as above.  can't seem to get past this stage in the install.  any thoughts?

Use a conventional hard disk instead of the flash card. Apparently, iTunes 9.2.1 works best to use the bootstrap in DFU. And don't use anything below EmCORE r859, or it will conflict with newer Rockbox versions.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #2,147 of 3,645
Quote:

Use a conventional hard disk instead of the flash card. Apparently, iTunes 9.2.1 works best to use the bootstrap in DFU. And don't use anything below EmCORE r859, or it will conflict with newer Rockbox versions.

i switched to the flash card b/c my HDD failed. guess i'll just wait to see if rockbox comes out with an installer for the 6th Gen.  hopefully it'll work with the iflash adapter.

Feb 11, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #2,148 of 3,645
Quote:
Now, my computer won't recognize it anymore. The same computer that I used and have since to install and use Rockbox, same USB port even. Last night it wouldn't even charge from it but now it shows the USB connected indication, but nothing happens on the computer. Stopped iTunesHelper, Bonjour, and Apple Mobile Device Service.

Anyone?

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #2,150 of 3,645
Hello everyone. Maybe I want to Rockbox my Ipod Video 5.5th generation but I'm still doubing.

I don't care of the graphics, themes, applications, games, and other crap like that. I'm also not an audio freak so I think I wouldn't even hear any difference between an mp3 and a flac. So are there still any reasons left to rockbox it?

The main thing I hate about the software from Apple, is that I can't make folders, and then subfolders... that's really anoying!
With Rockbox you can make as many folders as you want though? (with that I can better organise my music...)

On the other hand... I do like the easy use of Itunes, and that you can make playlist and deactivate music files for the shuffle mode.

Hope to hear some advice from you guys! :)
Thx. Lennart

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #2,151 of 3,645
I had just received my new 7G (6.5G) a few days ago and Immediately rockbox'd it. Took a few minutes (even without ever installing iTunes) on my windows 8 (64 bit) pc.

Tried it out for a bit, but then immediately went back to iTunes (which again took mere minutes once I downloaded and installed it),

Rockbox was great, but I have a Bose sounddock that I wanted to use and my car also has my ford touch (sync) that won't work when it is rockbox'd (it would with the aux connection but not USB).

And I'm not enough of an audiophile to notice the difference between Apple Lossless and FLAC (converted my entire cd library using db amp converter).

Either way, the rockbox and oem conversions were very easy and fun to do (knowing I can have either way whenever I decide).

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2,152 of 3,645
Quote:
And I'm not enough of an audiophile to notice the difference between Apple Lossless and FLAC (converted my entire cd library using db amp converter).

That's because there is no difference.
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2,154 of 3,645
Quote:
Do you have another computer you can try? Also, try another USB port for fun, or check device management on the computer to see if there is an unrecognised device. Do you by any chance utilise a usb hub? :wink:

Yeah, just worked on my Ubuntu laptop. Hmm...I still wonder why it wouldn't work on the same computer I installed Rockbox with. Maybe I didn't quite get all those Apple processes killed. Thanks!

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,155 of 3,645
Thanks for the answers allready about Apple software vs Rockbox.

I saw in a movie that Rockbox does have Playlists...? I thought that was only with Apple software on the Ipod?

- And is there a way to create folder AND (several) subfolders with iTunes?

for instance:

Music >> Artist >> Robbie Williams
 and then...:

2 subfolders:
- Robbie Williams albums (and then I would click this one for instance..)
- Robbie Williams live

4 sub-sub folders
- Album 1
- Album 2
- Album 3
- Album 4 (and then I would click this one, to play this album)

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #2,156 of 3,645
Does anyone know which setting in the bass cutoff lets all the bass through? Not sure if its or 4, same situation with treble but I heard that treble is the opposite if u want all of it, this is all using rockbox by the way
Thanks

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #2,158 of 3,645
Hi all,
First post, and I have now read all 144 pages! 

I am seriously thinking of RB'ing my 7G Ipod, mainly because I want to remove the EU cap and would also like a bit of independence from the iTunes garden...

Questions:
I live most of my life in Mac OS X, but use my small Bootcamp partition for dBPoweramp for ripping (until I can find an OS X app that can rip simultaneous LAME mp3 and flac and include Accurate Rip-style functionality - suggestions welcome.)

I understand I would have to install Emcore and Rockbox from a Windows machine, which I would do from Bootcamp/Parallels.

Anyone have any success running RB mainly from OS X once it is installed? I've seen only a few posts in this thread, but they're not altogether clear about it.

Also, would I be able to sync with Songbird (with filesync) or some other library software for OS X? I use a lot of playlists to organise my 50k+ mp3s and am going through a massive song rating and playlist exercise. Would love to be able to set song ratings as I listen and sync back and forth with my laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #2,159 of 3,645
Quote:
Thanks for the answers allready about Apple software vs Rockbox.

I saw in a movie that Rockbox does have Playlists...? I thought that was only with Apple software on the Ipod?

- And is there a way to create folder AND (several) subfolders with iTunes?

for instance:

Music >> Artist >> Robbie Williams
 and then...:

2 subfolders:
- Robbie Williams albums (and then I would click this one for instance..)
- Robbie Williams live

4 sub-sub folders
- Album 1
- Album 2
- Album 3
- Album 4 (and then I would click this one, to play this album)

Rockbox has the ability to create playlists. You can forget about Itunes when using Rocjbox. Actually, i'm shocked to see how many people seem te have trouble letting go of Itunes. Especially since, imho, it is one of the programs in the world with the most un-intuitive UI's ever. Worst thing is that it's from a company known for it's super user friendly UI's on their devices. Go figure..

Anyway.. I recently created a playlist.. By hand.
eek.gif
  Not that hard really. I wanted a playlist with specific albums for burn in. Just needed to create separate playlists per album, and then merge em into one manually using... Notepad.
biggrin.gif
I know it's probably borderline masochism, but it werkz so...
Just googled layout of M3u files and got it to work like it's supposed to on the first try so I guess it wasn't that bad.. Only thing to consider is that rockbox is running from it's own .rockbox folder, so if you want to use,for example, the .music folder that is also in the root of the Ipod (just like the .Rockbox folder is), you need to go down a folder first. I'll post some snips of my manually created m3u file to give you an idea.

EXTM3U
#EXTINF:385,Arkasia - Destiny
..\Music\Arkasia-Evolution\Arkasia - Evolution - 01 - Destiny.mp3
#EXTINF:385,Arkasia - Act Now
..\Music\Arkasia-Evolution\Arkasia - Evolution - 02 - Act Now.mp3
#EXTINF:346,Arkasia - New World Disorder
<snip, some more songs here followed by a line break to proceed to next album>

#EXTINF:269,Gorillaz - Demon Days
..\Music\Gorillaz - Demon Days (2005)\Gorillaz - Demon Days - 15 - Demon Days.mp3
#EXTINF:120,Gorillaz - Don't Get Lost In Heaven
..\Music\Gorillaz - Demon Days (2005)\Gorillaz - Demon Days - 14 - Don't Get Lost In Heaven.mp3
<snip, some more songs here followed by a line break to proceed to next album>

#EXTINF:542,Metallica - S&M
..\Music\Metallica - S&M\cd1\Metallica - S&M - 11 - Bleeding Me (Live).flac
#EXTINF:326,Metallica - Devil's Dance (Live)
..\Music\Metallica - S&M\cd1\Metallica - S&M - 10 - Devil's Dance (Live).flac
#EXTINF:285,Metallica - Hero Of The Day (Live)

I also found in my search that there are super good tools out there for creating playlist. Only thing a bit awkward on Rockbox is the naming of playlist with the on screen keyboard using the Ipod. Seems almost easier to just hook the Ipod up to the pc, create a new playlist file with the right name in the right place and add music to it using the Ipod/Rockbox.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2,160 of 3,645
I use MusicBee to manage my Rockboxed Ipods.  I can use it in much the same way as you can use Itunes to manage an Ipod with the OS.  MusicBee will allow me to create playlists on the Ipod, add and delete albums and tag songs.  It will autotag newly ripped albums but I still tend to do this in Itunes because the Itunes Gracenote database is much better (IMHO) than others I have tried - it even has quite a lot of Bootleg albums listed.  MusicBee will allow me to have sort panels listing Composer, Album Artist and Album which is excellent when you have a collection with a lot of classical music.  Now I need to find something similar which will work in a Linux environment.  Does anyone have any recommendations.  It seems that most Linux Music manager applications don't give you the option of having composer and album artist panels.  Can anyone suggest one that does?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back