Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 13, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #2,161 of 3,645
Hi everyone ,
I have just joint in (first post) and I would like to give you my first impressions / experience with ipod 160gd and rockbox and Windows xp sp3. I followed the procedure described in freemyipod site (with emcore r859) with no problems at all. Later I upgraded to rockbox ver.120802 which has been described as very stable in this thread. Since I installed some themes I have had a few problems with charging and connection the ipod to Windows. The best solution (that always works) was to run rockbox falback image. BTW I had no problems at all with conecting the rockboxed ipod to another laptop with Windows 7 32bit installed.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #2,162 of 3,645
If we're speaking of MusicBee, I was having issues with synching all my music with the MusicBee library, as when I get upt to 526 osngs, it freezes, and I've tried this on two seperate installs.  Is this a glitch, or is it external HDD related?

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #2,163 of 3,645
Quote:
If we're speaking of MusicBee, I was having issues with synching all my music with the MusicBee library, as when I get upt to 526 osngs, it freezes, and I've tried this on two seperate installs.  Is this a glitch, or is it external HDD related?

You must wait until the sync is over (and it's very long...) but this is quite normal. For my part i synchronized about 5000 musics and it lasted easily more than 20 minutes :p

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,164 of 3,645
I'm looking to have a large amount of music available for when I'm travelling with my new job. Is there any preference over any of the Classic model numbers, 6G/6.5G/7G - 80/120/160GB
Is anyone better than the others?

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #2,165 of 3,645
I'm looking to have a large amount of music available for when I'm travelling with my new job. Is there any preference over any of the Classic model numbers, 6G/6.5G/7G - 80/120/160GB
Yeah the new 12g is nice it's got a 3000gb ssd and nuclear battery, supposedly the speaker on the 12g is as loud as a Marshall stack

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,166 of 3,645
Can anyone tell me what kind of stability they're getting when transferring files over to their iPod with Rockbox?

I don't know if the USB connection has been updated in the newer releases of Rockbox, but at the moment I'm stuck with using the version provided by the Emcore installation page since it's compatible with r692 (which is all that's working on my iPod for now).

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #2,169 of 3,645
Quote:

Research it some..I went with a 7G since I heard that it had more memory or something (people were having trouble with very large databases or soemthing with the older models I think), but don't take my word for it, it's just a faint memory.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2,171 of 3,645
Quote:

Any Classic will be just fine, just check how much space you would need. If you take the thick 160GB you'll have a higher capacity battery (850 vs 580mAh), might be nice when you're travelling for a few days.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what kind of stability they're getting when transferring files over to their iPod with Rockbox?

I don't know if the USB connection has been updated in the newer releases of Rockbox, but at the moment I'm stuck with using the version provided by the Emcore installation page since it's compatible with r692 (which is all that's working on my iPod for now).

Run UMSBoot from EmCORE and update to r868 (http://builds.freemyipod.org, the .ubi file. I know it says 'failed' but that is incorrect apparently), then use the fallback image and update to the latest daily Rockbox build. I honestly cannot believe that the buggy r692 with an old Rockbox version will work better than this.

Quote:
Research it some..I went with a 7G since I heard that it had more memory or something (people were having trouble with very large databases or soemthing with the older models I think), but don't take my word for it, it's just a faint memory.

All Classics have 64MB of memory, the older iPod Videos had versions in both 32MB (5G) and 64MB (5.5G)

Quote:
Is there a way to sort the database so that the albums by one artist appear by date?
I would appreciate any feedback on that.

Can't find the settings for that now, but a workaround would be to name the albums 'year - album name', so for example '1985 - Brothers in Arms'.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2,172 of 3,645
new alrodan build released! - 130217
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #2,173 of 3,645
Ok can someone please help me for some reason I cant get my 7th gen slim to work. My computer will not allow for the ipod to go into dfu mode, I am following instruction to the letter but no luck every time I get the same message " usb device not recognized" help I am about to smash the computer and ipod in frustration soon. I want rockbox!!!!!!

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #2,174 of 3,645
Ok can someone please help me for some reason I cant get my 7th gen slim to work. My computer will not allow for the ipod to go into dfu mode, I am following instruction to the letter but no luck every time I get the same message " usb device not recognized" help I am about to smash the computer and ipod in frustration soon. I want rockbox!!!!!!
Dude don't smash them that stuff is expensive, you know a starving child in Ethiopia would love to have an ipod and a computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back