Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #2,041 of 3,645
Quote:
Damn wish I would've seen this sooner. I've used that mp3tag program too but if you get musicbee working it's much more seamless and automated. If you look at the pic I posted, at the top right you have to choose your device, in this case the ipod classic. The settings you choose are device specific. Then on the bottom left you must choose "copy to the same folder as the music file" and put "cover" in the box for file naming. Check the box for "resize artwork to 300px" and you're good to go.

No problems mate. :wink:

Using mp3tag again actually rekindled my love for the program. Sure, a program that has better automation probably works faster, however, musicbee is somewhat too full of functions for me to properly use.. :wink: Plain and simple, that's all i need. Mp3tag and automatic cover tool fit the bill. Might be a bit more work, but if it saves me from tuning a program to my likings for hours and building a music database that i'll probably never use (oldskool Winamp all the way over here..) It's worth it for me anyways, spend waaaay to much time at work fiddling with software settings already, hahaha. :wink:

@stealer: Youtube works wonder for questions like these..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5V9lEsd5To

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,042 of 3,645
Can somebody help me with my install? I have just downloaded the installer-ipodclassic.ubi and I do not know how to save it to a 64mb sized UMS boot volume. I'm on windows 8, Please help! Nevermind, on windows 8 you have to send to the UMS boot!

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,043 of 3,645
Help Please!  Further to my post below, I've now got about 75gb of music on my 7G Ipod.  Getting the database to work has become really very hit and miss, and extremely time consuming!  As detailed below, I've been getting rid of any special characters, embedded art and comments, using Mp3tag.  Does the database have an upper size limit.  Are the individual fields limited in size?  I'm not having the same issues with the database on my 6G Ipod - which has Rock music on it (although I did have problems at first), but this may be down to the fact that the tags for Rock Music tend to be less complicated - eg. "Jumping Jack Flash" is a little less syntactically difficult than "Bach: Cello Suite No.1 In G, BWV 1007 - V. Menuet No.1 & 2".

Typically what happens is that I move a couple of artist folders onto my Ipod (trying not to move more than about 2gb at a time).  I then use Album Art Extractor for Rockbox to create art in each folder from the embedded images.  I then use Mp3tag to get rid or the embedded images and any comments, and go through all the files checking for any characters which may cause problems.  I then disconnect the Ipod and update the database (manually).  Once this has finished I restart and hope that the database will commit.  It usually fails at 4/9.  If I then initialize the database it will usually fail at 7/9 in the commit stage.  I then take another look at the files I just added to see whether I should change or delete anything else.  Eventually I do something which seems to work (taking an acute accent from all instances of an artist's name worked in one case) but this is inconsistent.  It's driving me mad!  I'm using build 121229 on my 7G Ipod and 120429 on the 6G.  (Before anyone asks I tried 290412 on the 7G but it didn't seem to make a difference).  Can anyone help here?  Has anyone else had similar difficulties?

Quote:
Just putting this out as a point of interest...

I recently rockboxed my second Ipod Classic - this one a 7G which I bought at the beginning of last year.  Installing Rockbox was a breeze.  However I am as usual having issues with the database.  I decided to keep this Ipod for classical music, and for whatever reason, the tags on classical music are more complicated than those on Rock music, and they seem to upset the Rockbox database.  Here is an example

1-01 Haydn_ Cello Concerto #2 In D

in this example I have to get rid of the underscore character and the hash.  If I don't do this the database hangs when committing.  I also routinely get rid of any embedded art and comments.

The reason I like to use the database is that I can search by composer, and all my folders are arranged by artist.  I've something upwards of 100gb of classical music, which adds up to a lot of manual editing!  Does anyone have any comments?  Ideas?

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #2,044 of 3,645
Have you tried resetting the database using emcore and have Rockbox rebuild it? This to make sure the DB itself isn't the problem. I copy loads of new albums over every time, not in chuncks of X gigabyte but in several 10's of GB's at a time, and I have never had issues like you describe.
frown.gif

I do have some classical albums, also with the longer filenames, but do not have them on the rockboxed Ipod at the moment though. I could try copying them over tonight and see what happens with the database on my Ipod; i.e. see if i encounter the same problem.

Also; I have no idea of the filesystem Rockbox uses, but i'm guessing it's probably a Linux based filesystem of some sorts. Only other thing that comes to mind that could be causing this problem is a limitation of the filesystem regarding filename length possibly.. Where do you store your music? I mean, if you are using a lot of folders, try using less subfolders for example. I store my album subfolders directly under a MUSIC folder in the root of the Ipod share ->

Ipod root ->
                   .Rockbox
                   Music
                       |__> Album1
                               Album 2 etc.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #2,045 of 3,645
Quote:
Damn wish I would've seen this sooner. I've used that mp3tag program too but if you get musicbee working it's much more seamless and automated. If you look at the pic I posted, at the top right you have to choose your device, in this case the ipod classic. The settings you choose are device specific. Then on the bottom left you must choose "copy to the same folder as the music file" and put "cover" in the box for file naming. Check the box for "resize artwork to 300px" and you're good to go.

Yes, this worked perfectly for me and solved the artwork issues that I was still seeing with Rockbox.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #2,046 of 3,645
Hi there
I'm a new member of the forum.
I've recently (4 days ago) RBed my IPOD classic 160GB (2009 thin model)
Using  emCORE r859 and aroldan's latest build https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_
First I got a full backup of all ipod contents , then deleted everything and finally installed emcore and RB.
Everything went fine with the installation.
Then I transfered all my music back (~ 2000 mp3 tracks , fully tagged and classified into seperate folders per artist/album) into a new folder.
Disconnected and booted into RB which started to scan my tracks and building up it's database.
Ipod was fully charged at that time.
I got 2 isuues :
1.Battery
While the above process was going on, my ipod was unplugged from any charger.
I noticed that battery was droppimg down fastly but did not give it any attention at first.
Finally IPOD battery drained and RB shut down automatically before completing it's database initialization.
I plugged it in , let it charge for a while and (while plugged) restarted the database process.
Finally Database was complete , although I noticed that (while database initialization) even with the charger plugged in the battery was dropping down instead of going up.
I'm using (just listening to music, and not adding new tracks or updating database) it for the past 4 days and have noticed that battery does not last very long.
I haven't exactly measured how much it lasts but it is dropping from 98% to 60% within 2-3 hours of play which means that it will last about 8 hours.
Let me say here , that with the original firmware my ipod could easily last about 20 hours.
I decided to change RB version and I'm now using one of the latest official builds, but no luck with the battery issue.

I read in the rockbox forum that RB for IPOD classic is still in experimental status and that other users are also having battery problems.

2. Wake-up alarm
I was very dissapointed to realize that there is no Wake-up alarm function like the original's Apple firmware.
I guess it has to do with the emcore.

Other than that i'm completly satisfied and thrilled with RockBox and do not intend to go back to original software although if battery issue is not solved I will be forced to revert to Apple software.

Any help would be welcome.
Thanks

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #2,047 of 3,645
The battery isn't that likely to be really drained. If you let the device rest for like 5 minutes it will be almost full again. This happens only when it has to do hard work, like building the database.
To get around that: You can put the ipod on the charger and hold the menu button while plugging in the cord, so you can use rockbox while charging.

I however dont use the database at all, filebrowser works better for me :)

Edit: Somehow missed that you already know that. Damn :p

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #2,048 of 3,645
Quote:
Have you tried resetting the database using emcore and have Rockbox rebuild it? This to make sure the DB itself isn't the problem. I copy loads of new albums over every time, not in chuncks of X gigabyte but in several 10's of GB's at a time, and I have never had issues like you describe.
frown.gif

I do have some classical albums, also with the longer filenames, but do not have them on the rockboxed Ipod at the moment though. I could try copying them over tonight and see what happens with the database on my Ipod; i.e. see if i encounter the same problem.

Also; I have no idea of the filesystem Rockbox uses, but i'm guessing it's probably a Linux based filesystem of some sorts. Only other thing that comes to mind that could be causing this problem is a limitation of the filesystem regarding filename length possibly.. Where do you store your music? I mean, if you are using a lot of folders, try using less subfolders for example. I store my album subfolders directly under a MUSIC folder in the root of the Ipod share ->

Ipod root ->
                   .Rockbox
                   Music
                       |__> Album1
                               Album 2 etc.

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried resetting the database with Emcore and it made no difference.  I appear to have solved the problem though.  I thought I'd have one more try using the older build (120429) that I'm using on my Ipod 6G. I couldn't find an archive copy, so went to the 6G Ipod and copied the .Rockbox folder off that.  I then deleted all the database files and replaced the newer build on my Ipod 7G with the old build.  I then rebooted and rebuilt the database.  It worked!  I've since moved loads more music on with no issues.  I don't know what the problem was, or why moving to an older version cured it.  My newly Rockboxed Ipod works and that's all I'm concerned with.  One of the main reasons for me to move to Rockbox is the ability to sort and browse music by album artist.  This doesn't happen with the Ipod's original firmware.  Anyway thanks for your help.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #2,049 of 3,645
Hmm, perhaps you've hit a bug with the newer version. Anyways, glad it's sorted. I have read that other people have similar issues, sometimes reflashing the same version fixes these kind of problems too.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #2,050 of 3,645
Hey  i got the new version and its working fine and everything but is there a way to make it go faster? like deleting all the useless apps, and is  there a music manager to this thing, or do i have to keep going to the root and copy files...like itunes for ipod? I wouldn't have these issues of Apple would just support FLAC and APE

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #2,051 of 3,645
Deleting useless apps is not really an option i think.. As mentioned before, the menu of rockbox isn't customisable so that would leave you with that.. Also, what would be the use? Consume less space..? A few KB's on a ipod that has X gigs of space?
confused_face_2.gif
Also, i don't find rockbox as-is particulary slow or anything, and deleting some builtin games or something won't make Rockbox suddenly twice as fast..

I for one am really happy not having to use Itunes any more. As intiutive Apple user interfaces usually are, as dumb and illogical is the interface of Itunes for Windows. For ipod (i.e. my GF's shuffle), i was using Winamp since like the first version that supported Apple hardware.. Only reason it is still installed is because of the major Ipad updates which usually need Itunes. So you might want to take a look at Winamp. Not entirely sure if it works properly with a rockboxed Ipod though; noting easier that the file manager under Windows imho, haven't looked at Winamp since.. Copy/paste ftw.

Some other alternatives were already mentioned earlier in this thread like i think musicbee.. There are other programs with similar music DB functions like Itunes mentioned in this thread. If that is the functionality you were looking for anyways - the music DB functionality..

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2,052 of 3,645
Registering after lurking for awhile to ask a question.

I recently noticed that I couldn't adjust L/R Balance when going thru the LOD (still functions thru headphone out), but I'm 90% positive this worked with the Classic builds before.  Has something changed recently or did my install get screwed up somehow?

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,053 of 3,645
Quote:
Registering after lurking for awhile to ask a question.

I recently noticed that I couldn't adjust L/R Balance when going thru the LOD (still functions thru headphone out), but I'm 90% positive this worked with the Classic builds before.  Has something changed recently or did my install get screwed up somehow?

I don't think that was ever possible, but I could be wrong.  It definitely wasn't supposed to be possible, the line out volume is set independently of the headphone volume.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,054 of 3,645
Quote:
The battery isn't that likely to be really drained. If you let the device rest for like 5 minutes it will be almost full again. This happens only when it has to do hard work, like building the database.
To get around that: You can put the ipod on the charger and hold the menu button while plugging in the cord, so you can use rockbox while charging.

I however dont use the database at all, filebrowser works better for me :)

Edit: Somehow missed that you already know that. Damn :p

Thanks for your answer
Actually from what I understand is that "battery indication" is not at all reliable !
Well that's OK with me, as long as IPOD still lasts for the same duration as with original software.
But there is one thing that concerns me: If RB shows wrong Battery % that means that it will automatically shut down at low battery even though It will be a FAKE low battery message. Right?
So that means that "wrong battery indication" will still be a problem after all.
Thanks for the other suggestions, I was aware of all of them.
Of course using the folder browsing is not a sollution, it's actually a step back from the original software.
What's the meaning of having "perfectly tagged files" if not for quick and useful searching ?
Anyway I'll be monitoring the battery issue and keep everybody informed
Thanks again.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2,055 of 3,645
Quote:

Of course using the folder browsing is not a sollution, it's actually a step back from the original software.
What's the meaning of having "perfectly tagged files" if not for quick and useful searching ?
Anyway I'll be monitoring the battery issue and keep everybody informed
Thanks again.

Folder browsing is just one of those things.....some people love it, others don't feel the need. For me, I rarely use it, because my tags are in order. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back