Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #2,027 of 3,645
i just found this thread, i was browsing the site and was shocked to see

ive been waiting for this to be compatible with the classics for a long time now super excited to do this going to probably do it tomorrow

question though whats the difference between these?

and is there anything else really i should know.. and this is perfectly stable right?

When you get to the step saying Download the "rockbox-ipodclassic.zip" file, we advise you to use one of the following newer versions:

Custom builds by a user on this forum, lot’s of cool new stuff: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_ Note that the builds listed there are sorted on name, not on date!

Automated daily builds with the latest features on the patch tracker: http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2,028 of 3,645
Quote:
i just found this thread, i was browsing the site and was shocked to see

ive been waiting for this to be compatible with the classics for a long time now super excited to do this going to probably do it tomorrow

question though whats the difference between these?

and is there anything else really i should know.. and this is perfectly stable right?

When you get to the step saying Download the "rockbox-ipodclassic.zip" file, we advise you to use one of the following newer versions:

Custom builds by a user on this forum, lot’s of cool new stuff: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_ Note that the builds listed there are sorted on name, not on date!

Automated daily builds with the latest features on the patch tracker: http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g

I followed the steps and used the automated daily builds here http://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=ipod6g on a brand new 7G Classic and it is great, this was also my first time rockboxing any iDevice

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #2,029 of 3,645
Aroldan and Castor Munoz, thank you very much. 130110 is beautiful. I love it
L3000.gif
beyersmile.png
beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #2,031 of 3,645
Quote:
Played with it for a few minutes and it seems to work fine on my dad's 80GB 6th gen.  A little slow to show up on my Win7 machine but other than that no complaints.

Yeah, that's the only thing i noticed too.. But as previously said in this topic, it's not an usb key that you plug in to your usb port, there are other drivers at work to make it work this way. Takes 30 seconds max over here.
cool.gif

I my experience, it helps a lot to wait for harrddrive spindown of the ipod before plugging it in, also, i think it's best not to be playing any song at that time. :p. Another thing; under Windows, always make sure to safely disconnect the device to prevent something still writing to it when you unplug it (perhaps a program in the background you might not be aware of, since it is offcourse, Windows) , which might cause data corruption, preventing the ipod to behave wonky the next time it's connected.. I have had 0 problems getting the Ipod connected and recognised every single time using the above methods.

Oh, and stay away from usb hubs, unless they are powered, like mine is.
biggrin.gif
You might want to skip usb hubs altogether though when you're about to follow the procedure to get the device Emcore'd and rockboxed the first time though.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #2,032 of 3,645
Took me less than 5 Min's to get Rockbox up and running on a Gen 1 Nano, it now has drag and drop and is playing Flac files.

The search is on now for a 5.5 classic..

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #2,033 of 3,645
Jan 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2,037 of 3,645
Hi All,

Just wondering...
how do UI interface look like for the ipod after rockbox.
can someone post a picture of the display interface and does the functions still remain the same after rockbox...

planning to rockbox but is hesitating...
im still on page 32 ...100 more go before i am ready

thanks for reading

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #2,039 of 3,645
So, i took over these settings. Connected the Rockboxed ipod and changed the drive to the drive mounted. I am able to play music using Musicbee and see artwork there, but for the love of god am unable to find how i can get Musicbee to store artwork files @ 300 pixels in the folders of the Ipod. Is this even possible, or do you do this manually per folder or use this program to re-tag all your music and generate the cover art simultaniously? :p

Damn wish I would've seen this sooner. I've used that mp3tag program too but if you get musicbee working it's much more seamless and automated. If you look at the pic I posted, at the top right you have to choose your device, in this case the ipod classic. The settings you choose are device specific. Then on the bottom left you must choose "copy to the same folder as the music file" and put "cover" in the box for file naming. Check the box for "resize artwork to 300px" and you're good to go.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #2,040 of 3,645
Quote:
never mind figured out how to restart..i was looking for the way to turn off the boot menu is there a way to do that to go right into rockbox

also anyway to make the fonts bigger?

To always boot Rockbox directly can be set in the EmCORE menu (Tools > Settings > Fastboot action). If you installed the font pack (see first post of this topic) you can choose bigger fonts in the settings.

Quote:
Hi All,

Just wondering...
how do UI interface look like for the ipod after rockbox.
can someone post a picture of the display interface and does the functions still remain the same after rockbox...

planning to rockbox but is hesitating...
im still on page 32 ...100 more go before i am ready

thanks for reading

Read the complete first post of this topic for more information. Stock theme looks like this.
Other themes can be found here or you can make your own theme using the Guidelines.
And what kind of functions are you referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back