Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jan 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #1,996 of 3,645
I cant figure out how to add a song to a playlist (if it's even possible) I'm new to rockbox.

Been looking but I can't find it in here http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo.pdf

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #1,999 of 3,645
Just putting this out as a point of interest...

I recently rockboxed my second Ipod Classic - this one a 7G which I bought at the beginning of last year.  Installing Rockbox was a breeze.  However I am as usual having issues with the database.  I decided to keep this Ipod for classical music, and for whatever reason, the tags on classical music are more complicated than those on Rock music, and they seem to upset the Rockbox database.  Here is an example

1-01 Haydn_ Cello Concerto #2 In D

in this example I have to get rid of the underscore character and the hash.  If I don't do this the database hangs when committing.  I also routinely get rid of any embedded art and comments.

The reason I like to use the database is that I can search by composer, and all my folders are arranged by artist.  I've something upwards of 100gb of classical music, which adds up to a lot of manual editing!  Does anyone have any comments?  Ideas?

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2,001 of 3,645
Quote:
my ipod is a 7th gen 160 gig, will this 6th gen FW work on it?

Yes - should be no problem there - I've just Rockboxed mine - but read the instructions.  A rockboxed ipod classic will not work through certain accessories, so if you want to play your ipod through some kind of sophisticated dock system it's probably not going to work.

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #2,004 of 3,645
Hey this might be a bit off topic, but I'm not sure where I'd post it. Anyway, have rock box up and running, using it with Denon AH-D1100s,was just wondering if anyone had a suitable eq to balance them out and get the best sound?
Regards
Mark~

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #2,005 of 3,645
Quote:
Hey this might be a bit off topic, but I'm not sure where I'd post it. Anyway, have rock box up and running, using it with Denon AH-D1100s,was just wondering if anyone had a suitable eq to balance them out and get the best sound?
Regards
Mark~

How do they sound to you as is? Everyone's ears are different, so there's no guarantee that another person's settings will work for you. I think those headphones of yours are supposed to share at least some parts (the drivers themselves IIRC) with my Creative Aurvana Live! headphones, and mine sound pretty good with no EQ applied at all. 

Truly mastering the Rockbox EQ takes some work.....you can start off more simply, if not happy with the sound of them as is, by just tinkering with the Bass and Treble controls.

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #2,006 of 3,645
How do they sound to you as is? Everyone's ears are different, so there's no guarantee that another person's settings will work for you. I think those headphones of yours are supposed to share at least some parts (the drivers themselves IIRC) with my Creative Aurvana Live! headphones, and mine sound pretty good with no EQ applied at all. 

Truly mastering the Rockbox EQ takes some work.....you can start off more simply, if not happy with the sound of them as is, by just tinkering with the Bass and Treble controls.

To me they're quite bassy! Tried messing with the bass/treble and it just didn't work out that way I would of liked. Went to the eq and just couldn't get it quite right.
Anyway, I find the bass j bit too much for most of the music, would like a more balanced sound if possible!

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #2,007 of 3,645
Quote:
To me they're quite bassy! Tried messing with the bass/treble and it just didn't work out that way I would of liked. Went to the eq and just couldn't get it quite right.
Anyway, I find the bass j bit too much for most of the music, would like a more balanced sound if possible!

You can set the frequency of each band to what you wish....now you have to establish what frequencies will work to tone down the bass for you. If you have foobar2000 on your PC, you can set it to show the spectrum analyzer visual, like so.....

and then play some music and adjust the foobar EQ, watching the analyzer bands movement.....then you should be able to start figuring out what band corresponds to what sound.

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,009 of 3,645
Quote:
Thank you very much, greatly appreciated
Mark~

Good luck! It'll take some work but it is worth it in the end. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,010 of 3,645
Id like to try this with my new 7gen, but Im afraid to brick it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back