Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #1,486 of 3,645
Quote:

That depends on the accessories, as it's still a bit of a hit and miss. LOD cables work fine, but external USB DAC's, like the CLAS or the Fostex HP-P1 won't work with Rockbox...

aroldan is a user that is continuously updating and further developing the Rockbox FW for the iPod Classic, and those builds are the result of his work. We should all thank him for his great work and effort, as his lastest builds are very stable and with great battery life! 

Would it work with my car stereo? Also, where do you get these builds since a search on google and the forums didn't give me much.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #1,488 of 3,645
It will work with your car stereo if it is just a simple line out cable. If your car stereo has any kind of external iPod control or USB DAC function, it almost certainly will not work.

Try it. If it doesn't work, iTunes can restore your iPod Classic to the OF and it will work again.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #1,489 of 3,645
Quote:
Would it work with my car stereo? Also, where do you get these builds since a search on google and the forums didn't give me much.

Dropbox link for aroldan's releases: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_
The numbers on the file names are the release dates for each build. My recommendation is that go for the most recent one...

About your car stereo, I think it depends on the dock type itself. Do you have more information about it? If no one here as tested it before, you won't know until you test it yourself! But a great thing about emCORE for the iPod Classic is that is fully reversible, so you can revert your iPod to it's original FW anytime you want...

P.S.: We really need to update the OP with relevant information...

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,490 of 3,645
Quote:

Dropbox link for aroldan's releases: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5xbw6cp4ikfxwn/MjELjmDNJ_
The numbers on the file names are the release dates for each build. My recommendation is that go for the most recent one...

About your car stereo, I think it depends on the dock type itself. Do you have more information about it? If no one here as tested it before, you won't know until you test it yourself! But a great thing about emCORE for the iPod Classic is that is fully reversible, so you can revert your iPod to it's original FW anytime you want...

P.S.: We really need to update the OP with relevant information...

Yeah, I just don't want to install itunes to uninstall it. I'm pretty sure it controls the iPod, so it probably won't work. Thanks for the help though. I'll definitely check out those builds when I get a chance.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #1,491 of 3,645
Quote:

Yeah, I just don't want to install itunes to uninstall it. I'm pretty sure it controls the iPod, so it probably won't work. Thanks for the help though. I'll definitely check out those builds when I get a chance.

If you do test it, please post the results in this thread, as that info may be usefull to others...

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #1,493 of 3,645
Quote:

[...] but external USB DAC's, like the CLAS or the Fostex HP-P1 won't work with Rockbox...

Is this being worked on right now? I'd love to be able to use the HP-P1 with Rockbox sometime in the future, maybe in a year or so.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #1,494 of 3,645
Quote:
Is this being worked on right now? I'd love to be able to use the HP-P1 with Rockbox sometime in the future, maybe in a year or so.

I really don't know, as I'm not a part of the developing process. Maybe aroldan can answer that question...

But, in my opinion, you can also have great results with a good LOD cable and a portable amplifier, using Rockbox in the Classic! Just be sure to choose an amp with a sound signature that fits your tastes! Since I'm using my RB iPod Classic with a JDSLabs c421 (OPA2227) amp, I've given very little use to my full size headphone rig!

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #1,499 of 3,645
New build: rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926.zip

I reverted some of the voltage changes on the last build because they 1) didn't make a difference on battery life and 2) some reported a change in the sound (bad thing for a head-fier 
smily_headphones1.gif
). An initial OPUS (RFC 6716) format support is added in this build.

I'm now focused on providing two builds from now on, one with 48Khz freq as the default and another with 44.1Khz as the default. The former will be better sounding for people with many 48KHz/96Khz music and the later for people with 44.1Khz/88.2Khz music. "Default" means that any file with another freq would be resampled (as it's now), using the linear algorithm on RB, which is not really a quality resampler.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #1,500 of 3,645

Quote:
New build: rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926.zip

I reverted some of the voltage changes on the last build because they 1) didn't make a difference on battery life and 2) some reported a change in the sound (bad thing for a head-fier 
smily_headphones1.gif
). An initial OPUS (RFC 6716) format support is added in this build.

I'm now focused on providing two builds from now on, one with 48Khz freq as the default and another with 44.1Khz as the default. The former will be better sounding for people with many 48KHz/96Khz music and the later for people with 44.1Khz/88.2Khz music. "Default" means that any file with another freq would be resampled (as it's now), using the linear algorithm on RB, which is not really a quality resampler.

Thank you very much! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back