Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Sep 29, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,517 of 3,645
Quote:

I just looked at that again, and is pcm-s5l8700.c even used by the 6G?  IIRC thats for the Nano2G.  Looking at the 6G header and cs42l55.c, I think it already supports 48k output.  

Yes, it was an example of what I need to write. The current PCM code of the Classic doesn't have a feature of changing the frequency even though the chip does support up to 48Khz. By default, music is played at 44.1. The relevant function that's going to be modified is pcm_dma_apply_settings at pcm-s5l8702.c, so it can handle the external variable pcm_fsel, according to the file being played and thus support native 48Khz playback.

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,518 of 3,645
Quote:
Yes, it was an example of what I need to write. The current PCM code of the Classic doesn't have a feature of changing the frequency even though the chip does support up to 48Khz. By default, music is played at 44.1. The relevant function that's going to be modified is pcm_dma_apply_settings at pcm-s5l8702.c, so it can handle the external variable pcm_fsel, according to the file being played and thus support native 48Khz playback.

Isn't that what audiohw_set_frequency does?  I don't have a 6G so I can't test, but what happens if you just add  "audiohw_set_frequency(pcm_fsel);" to pcm_dma_apply_settings and run the test_sampr.c plugin?  IIUC that should set the clock dividers right.  

Sep 30, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #1,519 of 3,645
Quote:

Isn't that what audiohw_set_frequency does?  I don't have a 6G so I can't test, but what happens if you just add  "audiohw_set_frequency(pcm_fsel);" to pcm_dma_apply_settings and run the test_sampr.c plugin?  IIUC that should set the clock dividers right.  

When I do that, the playback stops working. The function states that the output should be disabled before using it. Do you know how to do that? I tried several combinations and it didn't work:
audio_stop  -> audiohw_set_frequency -> audio_start
pcm_play_lock  -> audiohw_set_frequency -> pcm_play_unlock
pcm_play_dma_stop -> audiohw_set_frequency ->  pcm_play_dma_init (-> pcm_play_dma_postinit)

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #1,520 of 3,645
Quote:
Sweet thanks, one more thing, how do I know if my classic is compatible with rockbox? There are a bunch of different versions, mines an 80gb but I'm not sure on the specifics.

I believe that they are all compatible but perhaps someone else can confirm. (I am using the latest, the 7G as we call it, i.e. 160GB single platter.)

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #1,521 of 3,645
Quote:

I believe that they are all compatible but perhaps someone else can confirm. (I am using the latest, the 7G as we call it, i.e. 160GB single platter.)

Confirmed working for all Classics, if you check out the manual at freemyipod.org it's exactly the same instructions and files for the 80, 160 fat, 120 and 160 thin.

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,522 of 3,645
Quote:
When I do that, the playback stops working. The function states that the output should be disabled before using it. Do you know how to do that? I tried several combinations and it didn't work:
audio_stop  -> audiohw_set_frequency -> audio_start
pcm_play_lock  -> audiohw_set_frequency -> pcm_play_unlock
pcm_play_dma_stop -> audiohw_set_frequency ->  pcm_play_dma_init (-> pcm_play_dma_postinit)

The comment there is probably not correct.  Its present in all the drivers and so likely just copied and pasted.  As for why playback fails, I'm not sure.  The audiohw_preinit function above successfully sets the sample rate to 44100, so either something is wrong with how its set to 48000, or one of the other registers in audiohw_preinit must be set differently for 48k.  

Maybe a dumb idea, but did you try just changing audiohw_preinit to default to 48k and see if it works? 

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #1,523 of 3,645
Hey guys,

Another noob question here: I am running one of aroldan's earlier builds and I want to upgrade to the latest build. Is there a way I can do this without losing my theme settings (font, background, colors, etc.?)

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #1,524 of 3,645
Quote:
Hey guys,

Another noob question here: I am running one of aroldan's earlier builds and I want to upgrade to the latest build. Is there a way I can do this without losing my theme settings (font, background, colors, etc.?)

Thanks!

Sure, just unzip it over the old build.  You can always update rockbox that way, settings won't be lost unless you delete the config files.  

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #1,526 of 3,645
Quote:

The comment there is probably not correct.  Its present in all the drivers and so likely just copied and pasted.  As for why playback fails, I'm not sure.  The audiohw_preinit function above successfully sets the sample rate to 44100, so either something is wrong with how its set to 48000, or one of the other registers in audiohw_preinit must be set differently for 48k.  

Maybe a dumb idea, but did you try just changing audiohw_preinit to default to 48k and see if it works? 

Yes I did and it was the same. I'll make some more tests tomorrow.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,527 of 3,645
Tried to upgrade to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926 from r31516-120101 and although it upgraded just fine, I lost my USB connectivity.  I get the message on the iPod that says it's connected via USB but it never shows up on my Windows 7 or Mountain Lion machines like it use to.

I have to go through the iTunes restore process and then the entire install process to get it back to a point where I can attempt the upgrade again.  I have tried to install straight to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926, as well as upgrade as I described above and both ways I lose my USB connection for good.

I am doing this with an iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009) model purchased new from Apple just a week ago.

Am I trying to upgrade to the wrong version?

Thanks

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #1,528 of 3,645
Quote:
Tried to upgrade to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926 from r31516-120101 and although it upgraded just fine, I lost my USB connectivity.  I get the message on the iPod that says it's connected via USB but it never shows up on my Windows 7 or Mountain Lion machines like it use to.

I have to go through the iTunes restore process and then the entire install process to get it back to a point where I can attempt the upgrade again.  I have tried to install straight to rockbox-ipod6-ef78472M-120926, as well as upgrade as I described above and both ways I lose my USB connection for good.

I am doing this with an iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009) model purchased new from Apple just a week ago.

Thanks

I don't even own a Rockboxed device but from what I've read here I'd say try holding the MENU button while plugging in

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #1,529 of 3,645
Quote:

Thanks

Not sure if this would help, but when Windows fails to recognize that the iPod has been plugged in (I usually wait 3-5 min, if I'm feeling really patient), I just reboot the iPod by pressing Menu + Select until it resets. That almost always gets Windows to recognize it. That's all done without detaching the USB cable from either the iPod or PC. Even with the latest build I have to do this every now and then.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,530 of 3,645
I appreciate the feedback and I had tried both of the suggestions prior to posting on this forum.  I probably should have added that I have been using Rockbox for years on older, fully supported devices and have have experienced some quirky behavior at times, so I am use to trying a few troubleshooting steps before posting.  I am hoping there is a change I can make to a file somewhere in the .rockbox directory that will fix the issue, or possibly a patch.  Other than that, nothing else has really changed with my hardware or on the Operating System side.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back