Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #1,247 of 3,645
What Scrolling settings are people using with Rockbox on your Classic?

Settings > General Settings > Display > Scrolling

The Speed and Step Size defaults aren't wonderful.

My current settings are: 
Scroll Speed = 16
Scroll Step Size = 1 px

I leave everything else at default. It is worth playing around with this as it has significant impact on the readability of any theme.

Aug 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #1,248 of 3,645
Quote:

My current settings are: 
Scroll Speed = 16
Scroll Step Size = 1 px

I leave everything else at default. It is worth playing around with this as it has significant impact on the readability of any theme.

I never paid attention to it until now, and copied these settings. Looks pretty awesome with this smoothness!

Something else to everyone: when booting by unlocking the hold switch but then directly putting it back to hold again, Rockbox on my Classic says 'cleared'. Everything is back to default... But when I reboot it's all good again. Is this a bug or a feature? :wink:

And another thing: is there a reason why the harddisk is spinning idle for so long after a boot? When selecting songs it fills the cache and shuts down the hdd, but upon booting it's spinning for quite some time without any reason (as far as I can tell)

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,249 of 3,645
I've got a question for you guys. So I have a good amount of playlists in iTunes that I would like to get on my rockboxed iPod Classic. It would take forever to manually make each playlist again, so I was wondering if there was an easy way to export my iTunes playlists to rockbox. Thanks in advance!

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #1,250 of 3,645
Aug 11, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #1,252 of 3,645
Quote:

My current settings are: 
Scroll Speed = 16
Scroll Step Size = 1 px

Wow, thanks for the tip! It looks much better now! Keep those nice tips coming... 
beerchug.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #1,253 of 3,645
I wanted to post a little update on the issues I was having a few weeks ago. 

My "rockboxed" 160GB IPOD was having trouble playing many tracks, and would freeze, or start running erratically. A reset would fix the problem for a short time, and then the freezing would start again. File transfers were VERY slow (2-4MB/s).

I finally decided to return it to amazon and try a different one. Once setup, the new "rockboxed" IPOD worked perfectly. No issues whatsoever. I now believe that the first unit had some sort of corruption, or bad sectors on the disc. The problem I initially had does not appear to be a fault of rockbox. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #1,254 of 3,645
Quote:
I wanted to post a little update on the issues I was having a few weeks ago. 

My "rockboxed" 160GB IPOD was having trouble playing many tracks, and would freeze, or start running erratically. A reset would fix the problem for a short time, and then the freezing would start again. File transfers were VERY slow (2-4MB/s).

I finally decided to return it to amazon and try a different one. Once setup, the new "rockboxed" IPOD worked perfectly. No issues whatsoever. I now believe that the first unit had some sort of corruption, or bad sectors on the disc. The problem I initially had does not appear to be a fault of rockbox. 

That's nice to know, and I wish you a better luck with this new unit! 
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #1,255 of 3,645
Need some help, I did everything from the EmCORE installation page, but it says to download the rockbox file and extract it to the "root" file.  Which one is it?  When I connect my ipod to my pc I get one that says .apps, and one that says Bootmenu.  Thanks for the help in advance! I appreciate it.  I had rockbox on my sansa which I had for almost 5 years, upgraded to an ipod, but I don't like the confines of itunes etc.  Thanks again!

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #1,256 of 3,645
Quote:
Need some help, I did everything from the EmCORE installation page, but it says to download the rockbox file and extract it to the "root" file.  Which one is it?  When I connect my ipod to my pc I get one that says .apps, and one that says Bootmenu.  Thanks for the help in advance! I appreciate it.  I had rockbox on my sansa which I had for almost 5 years, upgraded to an ipod, but I don't like the confines of itunes etc.  Thanks again!

I figured it out!!!!  I had to extract it to the actual ipod classic icon.  What are some good themes that will work with this and are fairly stable, I've been using this rockbox default one for years, its time for something new and exciting.  Replies are appreciated!!!!

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #1,257 of 3,645
Quote:
I figured it out!!!!  I had to extract it to the actual ipod classic icon.  What are some good themes that will work with this and are fairly stable, I've been using this rockbox default one for years, its time for something new and exciting.  Replies are appreciated!!!!

For an excellent theme and some nice tips from cooperpwc, you can read some posts back, starting in the last page (83)... 
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #1,258 of 3,645
Quote:

This one, Drivebox, is quite nice once you clear the backdrop :
http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=1191&target=ipodvideo

Most of the themes for ipod Video work fine on the Classic :
http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=ipodvideo

Just install the fonts and icon-sets first :
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/RockboxExtras

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,260 of 3,645
I have the retrotape and the fonts installed.  I like it so far, very cool.  One quick question though...you know when you activate or press a button etc to play a song, and after a little while the screnn blacks out, how do I control the amount of time before it blacks out?  Mine seems to black out after a very short while, maybe 8 seconds.  How do I adjust these settings?  Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back