Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #1,276 of 3,645
Quote:
To make the files appear in the right order in the browser, simply edit the filename.

1. 01 - Artist - Song.flac
  2. 02 - Artist - Song.flac
etc..

For the database it's all about correct metadata. The browser will show the filename or something like it on the WPS when other info is missing.

Hmm if I do that and I have artist names like "Micah P. Hinson and the Red Empire Orchestra" it's gonna take a long time untill the trackname shows up 
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah using database is an option but I don't like it because I have some various artist albums like "best of the 90's", all the names show up in the database, a lot of artist who then only have one song :s
Too bad, it really is annoying for live albums or albums that have songs that are a continuation of the previous song...

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,277 of 3,645
Well as I mentioned before in this thread. I built a custom 240gb 7th classic. And it runs beautifully on Rockbox firmware. I have close to 20000 songs on it. And use it at work everyday. I have to say that the classic runs smoother on Rockbox than the 5th video. Battery life is much better. At the end of a work day. My battery is in the low 70 percentile. Which before with my 80gb 5th video converted to a 240gb. The battery would be in the 40 to 50 percentile.

The main reason I used the 7th classic for the 240gb drive. Was because it is the only classic which will read both platters of the drive. In the future I would like to build a 320gb classic. I just need to find an adapter to make it work. Because the interface is different. Anybody have any leads or tips? It would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,278 of 3,645
Quote:
To make the files appear in the right order in the browser, simply edit the filename.

1. 01 - Artist - Song.flac
  2. 02 - Artist - Song.flac
etc..

For the database it's all about correct metadata. The browser will show the filename or something like it on the WPS when other info is missing.

Quote:
Hmm if I do that and I have artist names like "Micah P. Hinson and the Red Empire Orchestra" it's gonna take a long time untill the trackname shows up 
tongue_smile.gif

Yeah using database is an option but I don't like it because I have some various artist albums like "best of the 90's", all the names show up in the database, a lot of artist who then only have one song :s
Too bad, it really is annoying for live albums or albums that have songs that are a continuation of the previous song...

If you are organised by artists and albums, the artist in the file name is unnecessary. The dashes are always unnecessary. I suggest:

01 Song Name
02 Next Song Name etc.

Just add the two digit number codes.

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #1,279 of 3,645
Quote:
Quote:

If you are organised by artists and albums, the artist in the file name is unnecessary. The dashes are always unnecessary. I suggest:

01 Song Name
02 Next Song Name etc.

Just add the two digit number codes.

Hm, thanks for the tip but I'm afraid I'm not willing to change every songname in my music libary :frowning2: (too much work!)
I guess I'll have to live with the messed up order of songs.
Anyway, I can play flac on my Ipod so I'm happy :)

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #1,280 of 3,645
Quote:
Hm, thanks for the tip but I'm afraid I'm not willing to change every songname in my music libary :frowning2: (too much work!)
I guess I'll have to live with the messed up order of songs.
Anyway, I can play flac on my Ipod so I'm happy :)

The program Mp3tag is your best friend
smile.gif

It can build/adjust/rename filenames based on text and tags; so converting the filenames using the tags %tracknum% %tilte% will rename all selected songs according to their tracknumber and title!
Very easy and very convenient, works with mp3 as well as with flacs!

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #1,281 of 3,645
Quote:
Well as I mentioned before in this thread. I built a custom 240gb 7th classic. And it runs beautifully on Rockbox firmware. I have close to 20000 songs on it. And use it at work everyday. I have to say that the classic runs smoother on Rockbox than the 5th video. Battery life is much better. At the end of a work day. My battery is in the low 70 percentile. Which before with my 80gb 5th video converted to a 240gb. The battery would be in the 40 to 50 percentile.

The main reason I used the 7th classic for the 240gb drive. Was because it is the only classic which will read both platters of the drive. In the future I would like to build a 320gb classic. I just need to find an adapter to make it work. Because the interface is different. Anybody have any leads or tips? It would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

I can't really help you, because I never even opened an iPod Classic, but in the future I see myself wanting to upgrade to a larger drive, 240GB or even 320GB if possible! Although I think that for portable use it's better to have an SSD, in the end it all depends on the price to size ratio. So, even if I can't help, I wish you the best of luck and be sure to let us know if you can put a 320GB drive on your Classic! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #1,282 of 3,645
I'd totally buy a 320GB ipod classic, even though I still have a 160GB and 240GB 
tongue_smile.gif
. Of course, this is assuming that Apple doesn't update it themselves, which I doubt is ever going to happen at this point.
Quote:

I can't really help you, because I never even opened an iPod Classic, but in the future I see myself wanting to upgrade to a larger drive, 240GB or even 320GB if possible! Although I think that for portable use it's better to have an SSD, in the end it all depends on the price to size ratio. So, even if I can't help, I wish you the best of luck and be sure to let us know if you can put a 320GB drive on your Classic! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #1,283 of 3,645
Wish Apple will not discontinue the Classic line... It's the only PMP where I can store my whole music collection.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #1,284 of 3,645
Hi all,

I'm quite new here and I was wondering which is the best Apple product to customize his firmware. From what I've read, there is Rockbox which a friend recommended me and its development is still ongoing.
The thing is that I want to have an extra music player to use along with my iPhone. I have a pair of Westone 4R and I'm disappointed about the audio quality through iPhone 4s. Moreover, I have the volume cap lock because I live in EU and I bought my iPhone from EU.

Any advice which can be the most interesting project which I can do? Replace the DAC, maybe? Customize the FW? Upgrade the internal HDD with SSD? 

Some links would be useful for me.

Thank you in advance,
Andrei

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,285 of 3,645
I've found after reading some forums that the current iPod Classic line (160GB model) is compatible with Rockbox using EmCORE installation.
Is it everything perfectly functional? Can you still use iTunes to upload music? Dual Boot is supported? Also, FLAC is playing?
What else I should know? Can I proceed with a purchase of this iPod? Also, in EU those iPods have volume limit cap, will this be removed by Rockbox?

How about the sound quality and the internal DAC?

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #1,286 of 3,645
Quote:
I've found after reading some forums that the current iPod Classic line (160GB model) is compatible with Rockbox using EmCORE installation.
Is it everything perfectly functional? Can you still use iTunes to upload music? Dual Boot is supported? Also, FLAC is playing?
What else I should know? Can I proceed with a purchase of this iPod? Also, in EU those iPods have volume limit cap, will this be removed by Rockbox?

How about the sound quality and the internal DAC?

Answers to some of your questions: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/532426/ipod-classic-rockbox-its-happening/1260#post_8617815

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #1,290 of 3,645
So, I would assume, no it doesn't? lol Or does it. I get so confused with all the whateverG ipods and eveything it messes with my brain...
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back