Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Jul 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #1,021 of 3,645
A lazy weekend afternoon sounds great.....I will give it another go tho' why not.....def worth it for the great sound.....
L3000.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,023 of 3,645
I don't see any reason not to switch to Rockbox if you have an iPod Classic. Okay, maybe just one: lacking support for the LOD/amp stuff, but I guess a fair amount of people just plug their headphones in directly.

I have been using RB on the Classic for over a year now, and since around EmCORE version r836 and up it has been truly flawless. No freezes, always booting fine, good response, etc. And then these amazing custom builds with great battery life made it even better!
So yeah, if you do a proper install and put one of aroldan's newest builds on it you'll have a rocksolid and powerful mobile audio player with great sound quality.

Comparing RB on the Video and the Classic, I prefer the Classic because booting with EmCORE is way faster and cleaner than the dual boot system of the Video. Sure, the installation is not like the Video (couple of clicks in Rockbox utility), but if you follow the steps on freemyipod.org you should be fine.
Don't forget: directly connect the cable to the motherboard, no USB hub or cable splitter. Check if your antivirus isn´t preventing UMSboot to execute. Make sure you have administrator rights in Windows. Always safely eject the USB device.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,024 of 3,645
Quote:
I don't see any reason not to switch to Rockbox if you have an iPod Classic. Okay, maybe just one: lacking support for the LOD/amp stuff, but I guess a fair amount of people just plug their headphones in directly.

Wait, a RB Classic (7th gen - 160GB) doesn't support LOD?!? 
frown.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,028 of 3,645
If I had to choose only one (or I guess two) feature of rockbox, that would definitely have to be replaygain support+pre-amp. Before rockbox, I manually had to listen to each and every music file I had and try to match their volumes to a certain level with mp3gain. This turned out to be a real pain in the ass and took many many hours of my time which is now all gone and wasted...I even ruined thousands of my files when I adjusted the gain too low so that I could get a good control of volume with my amp. With rockbox, there is no longer a need to stupidly go through each and every file, just drag and drop files to foobar and scan for replaygain and you're set. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #1,029 of 3,645
Quote:
If I had to choose only one (or I guess two) feature of rockbox, that would definitely have to be replaygain support+pre-amp. Before rockbox, I manually had to listen to each and every music file I had and try to match their volumes to a certain level with mp3gain. This turned out to be a real pain in the ass and took many many hours of my time which is now all gone and wasted...I even ruined thousands of my files when I adjusted the gain too low so that I could get a good control of volume with my amp. With rockbox, there is no longer a need to stupidly go through each and every file, just drag and drop files to foobar and scan for replaygain and you're set. 

Good post. My two favourite features of Rockbox are:

File Browser: Just drag and drop my music onto the Classic then browse the folders to play music.

Active playlist: Add and change songs on the fly.

Jul 14, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #1,030 of 3,645
Before rockbox, I manually had to listen to each and every music file I had and try to match their volumes to a certain level with mp3gain. With rockbox, there is no longer a need to stupidly go through each and every file, just drag and drop files to foobar and scan for replaygain and you're set. 

I don't understand what you mean, running "mp3gain -a *.mp3" is the same as running the foobar RG scanner, no need to do anything manually.

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #1,031 of 3,645
What he means is: Replaygain metadata from Foobar is supported in Rockbox. No need to do anything extra other than turn the feature on in Playback Settings.

Edit: I don't know anything about "MP3gain".

Jul 14, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #1,034 of 3,645
I looked for, but it seems like no way on OSX at this time. I used XP ( boot camp ). Immediately after installing RB, OSX could see RB and I could do music transfer on MAC. However after awhile, MAC can't see the rockboxed classic. The best thing of RB is sound quality. It's been my dream and the dream comes true. I just go to music file, choose an album and play. I'm more than happy. Wishing MAC can see rockboxed classic.

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #1,035 of 3,645
Quote:
I don't understand what you mean, running "mp3gain -a *.mp3" is the same as running the foobar RG scanner, no need to do anything manually.

There is a difference. If you see in foobar, there is a "scan" option and an "apply" option. If you only scan the files, it will save the RG information in the tags, but when you apply them, it will actually physically change the volume of the files themselves, which will then be recognized in all music players. The limitation of this was that the increments of gain possible is only -1.5db due to a technical reason, and so the scan method gives you a much better result. That is why I had to manually go through each and every file even after I applied RG using mp3gain because the volumes would be all over the place still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back