Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Aug 10, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #242 of 3,645
Wow, this is the first I've heard of a RB port, I'd pretty much given up hope and stopped checking years ago :p Apologies for not wading through the whole thread, but can someone catch me up on the current status? Plus I haven't used RB since 2006 on my iRiver H10, lol.

How stable is RB on the classics? Is there a big hit to battery life? How usable is it compared to the standard firmware? (as in interface design usability and such)

Cheers guys

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #243 of 3,645
I find the usability to be much better than on my sansa clip rockboxed. Battery life is somewhat worse than the Apple firmware. Heavy usage needs daily charging perhaps. Sometimes it hangs when you try to do too many things at a time or try to update a huge database and you need manual reboot. Stereo channel is swapped. Line out doesn't seem to work with every accessory. A simple lod dock doesn't give me any trouble though. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #244 of 3,645
I can confirm, the battery life needs a daily charge for about 3 to 4 hours of use a day, and getting too carried away can cause a freeze, but not very easily. I am using it on a daily basis and loving it. I am using a Fiio E7 with an LOD and having no issues there.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #246 of 3,645

Quote:
thats really bad website says 36 hours audio

i get much more battery out of mine. i listen to it all night and it still has 50% charge in the morning.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #247 of 3,645
Weeeellll...I am a little paranoid, I could go two days without it dying I guess. I hit half-way and start getting twitchy :)...

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #248 of 3,645
I was super-excited when I first installed thinking that the intermittent pauses that I used to get would go away with Rockbox...not so. Has anyone else experienced these? Are they just a symptom of the hard-drive itself?

Aug 18, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #249 of 3,645
ipod classic rockbox is not an official release yet. its barely stable enough to use. playback needs work, battery life needs work, and they havent even figured out how to make it dual boot yet. Give it some time, wait for a stable release. otherwise, dont complain, just contribute to bug reports and development if you want to use it that bad on your classic.

on the ipod video (5g/5.5g) it works just fine. intermittent pauses on that model can probably be diagnosed and fixed. i believe theres a setting in playback on how much of a file you want to cache while playing. That number needs to be large if you are playing flac files. caching 2mb of an mp3 file will pretty much ensure that abotu half the song is ready for playback, but caching 2mb of a flac file will barely ensure that 1/4 of it is ready for playback, savvy?

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #251 of 3,645

Quote:
I didn't face any such problem when i had rockbox installed on my classic 160gb.

Same here. I had intermiitent pauses before as it was thinking my headphones where disconnecting so Rockbox solved that issue.

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #252 of 3,645

Quote:
ipod classic rockbox is not an official release yet. its barely stable enough to use. playback needs work, battery life needs work, and they havent even figured out how to make it dual boot yet. Give it some time, wait for a stable release. otherwise, dont complain, just contribute to bug reports and development if you want to use it that bad on your classic.

on the ipod video (5g/5.5g) it works just fine. intermittent pauses on that model can probably be diagnosed and fixed. i believe theres a setting in playback on how much of a file you want to cache while playing. That number needs to be large if you are playing flac files. caching 2mb of an mp3 file will pretty much ensure that abotu half the song is ready for playback, but caching 2mb of a flac file will barely ensure that 1/4 of it is ready for playback, savvy?

Oh no complaints, just looking for advice :)...I am loving having Rockbox, absolutely no regrets or whinges about installing it...and the advice on the bufferring is much appreciated...the existence of something like this is precisely why I love Rockbox so much....

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #253 of 3,645
Anyways....there was no option to change the buffer size explicitly, but I found a section on "track skipping" in the manual online that sounded like it would help:

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-ipodvideo/rockbox-buildch7.html#x10-1240007.5

While digging about in my settings to follow the instructions I found an option called "Prevent Track Skipping" which I turned on...Also found "Skip Length just above it which I assume is what the manual was talking about....let's see what happens :).

Again, I want to be explicit, no complaints here, just looking for advice and opportunities to further research :).

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #254 of 3,645
Oh poo...neither of these is what I need...more to follow...(who feels like a twit now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back