Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Apr 7, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #106 of 3,645
status update:
On my first charge with rockbox I got about 12hrs of playing FLAC files. With the stock firmware/OS I get about 16-18hrs of playing ALAC files.
Recharging seams to take about the same time as with the stock firmware/OS.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #107 of 3,645
There was a big improvement with the new bios for rockbox.

So it's even better looking.

Sound is nice, sometimes the navigation is a bit slow, but overall rockbox is well integrated.

And what a pleasure to have an ipod that behaves as an USB key...

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #108 of 3,645
Quote:
status update:
On my first charge with rockbox I got about 12hrs of playing FLAC files. With the stock firmware/OS I get about 16-18hrs of playing ALAC files.
Recharging seams to take about the same time as with the stock firmware/OS.

That's pretty good. Hmm... someone should try this with the Solo and that someone could be me.  :)

I am going to wait until the beta appears on the Rockbox site. I assume that this will happen in the not too far future.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #110 of 3,645
Quote:
Really tempted but don't wanna brick my ipod... hopefully when i get my remoulds back beta will be out.

Do you have to load all the music after you install rockbox?

Yes. In fact you should remove all music from your iPod first as that just becomes wasted hard drive space.

Adding music to Rockbox is like using a USB key. You just drop it in with your desired folder structure. You then navigate the folders to listen to music in Rockbox.

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #111 of 3,645

Quote:
Yes. In fact you should remove all music from your iPod first as that just becomes wasted hard drive space.

Adding music to Rockbox is like using a USB key. You just drop it in with your desired folder structure. You then navigate the folders to listen to music in Rockbox.

No, you do NOT need to remove any music to install Rockbox & have music available. Just RB the iPod, then update the database - all your music will be there. You can still add additional music afterwards - via drag & drop - but then remember to update the database afterwards.

Reading the instructions works wonders BTW.

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #112 of 3,645
Please don't comment without knowing what the heck you are talking about.

The Ipod classic rockbox install is completely different than the normal way to install rockbox. It will wipe the ipod completely.

http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort

RTFM yourself

Quote:
No, you do NOT need to remove any music to install Rockbox & have music available. Just RB the iPod, then update the database - all your music will be there. You can still add additional music afterwards - via drag & drop - but then remember to update the database afterwards.

Reading the instructions works wonders BTW.

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #113 of 3,645
Who (pray tell) uses the database function in Rockbox? User defined folder structures is one of Rockbox's biggest advantages. For that you must load music from scratch with all installs.

(Thanks, deviationer, for further support. 
smile.gif
  )

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #114 of 3,645

Quote:
Who (pray tell) uses the database function in Rockbox? User defined folder structures is one of Rockbox's biggest advantages. For that you must load music from scratch with all installs.

(Thanks, deviationer, for further support. 
smile.gif
  )

I do, roughly 75% of the time.....depending on which of my RB players I am using, as they have different content and usage patterns. For example, the database is necessary if you plan to shuffle all tracks. But  2 of my 4 RB players I use for album by album listening, so on them folder browsing is nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #115 of 3,645
Hello everyone! i was just wondering if functionality is available for Rockboy/iBoy yet, because that would be what would push me one way over the fence or another! i RB'ed my friends 5g, and played some Pokemon and Super Mario, and it was great, i was just wondering if I can play my favorite GBC games currently, because i was gonna do it this weekend, but wasnt sure, and i dont wanna accidentally brick my ipod for nothin! :p

Thanks ahead of time guys! :D

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #116 of 3,645
Quote:
I do, roughly 75% of the time.....depending on which of my RB players I am using, as they have different content and usage patterns. For example, the database is necessary if you plan to shuffle all tracks. But  2 of my 4 RB players I use for album by album listening, so on them folder browsing is nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Makes sense!  I'm still a folder fiend.  :)

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #117 of 3,645
have they fixed the mp3 playability problem yet where it skips?

edit i just installed it. my shure srh840 headphones sound amazing now. i no longer dislike my shures

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #118 of 3,645

Quote:
Please don't comment without knowing what the heck you are talking about.

The Ipod classic rockbox install is completely different than the normal way to install rockbox. It will wipe the ipod completely.

http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/IpodClassicPort

RTFM yourself

Well, if I made a mistake I'd apologize,...is that adult enough for you??? The "RTFM" comment shows your have maturity issues bro,...

PS: Where does it say to wipe the iPod before installation???

[size=1.6em] [size=small]EmCORE Installation/iPodClassic/DFUiTunes[/size][/size]

[size=0.8em]  

1. [size=1.6em] [size=small]Download this file[/size][/size]

2. [size=small]Make sure iTunes is closed[/size]
  3. [size=small]Kill "AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe" using the task manager[/size]
    1. [size=small]Open the task manager (press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC)[/size]
    2. [size=small]Click on the "Processes" tab[/size]
    3. [size=small]Choose "AppleMobileDeviceService.exe"[/size]
    4. [size=small]Press the "End Process" button[/size]
    5. [size=small]Press "End Process" to confirm[/size]
  4. [size=small]Connect your iPod to your computer[/size]
  5. [size=small]Make sure the hold switch is not locked[/size]
  6. [size=small]Press and hold the menu and select buttons for between 10 and 15 seconds (The iPod will show an apple logo after about 5 seconds, keep holding the buttons until it seems to turn off completely)[/size]
[size=small]The display of your iPod should now stay black, and a new USB device called "Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver" should connect to your PC.[/size]

1. [size=small]Wait for the driver installation to complete[/size]
  2. [size=small]Run bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes.exe[/size]
[size=small]Your iPod should now turn on and connect a 64MB drive called "UMSboot". If it doesn't, please ask for support.[/size]

1. [size=small]Download the "installer-ipodclassic.ubi" file from the emCORE Releases page[/size]
  2. [size=small]Save it to the 64MB-sized "UMSboot" volume[/size]
  3. [size=small]Safely eject (or unmount on linux) that volume[/size]
  4. [size=small]Disconnect your iPod from your PC[/size]
  5. [size=small]Follow the on-screen instructions[/size]
[size=small]If everything worked right, you should now see the emCORE boot menu. If not, please ask for support.[/size]

1. [size=small]Choose the "Rockbox" option[/size]
  2. [size=small]Wait for Rockbox to boot (Complaints about the rockbox.ipod file being missing are normal at this point.)[/size]
  3. [size=small]Connect your iPod to your computer[/size]
  4. [size=small]Wait for the iPod's hard disk drive to connect and become accessible (this might take longer than a minute)[/size]
  5. [size=small]Download the "rockbox-ipodclassic.zip" file from the emCORE Releases page[/size]
  6. [size=small]Extract its contents to the root directory of your iPod's hard disk drive[/size]
  7. [size=small]Safely eject (or unmount on linux) your iPod's hard disk drive[/size]
  8. [size=small]Disconnect your iPod from your PC[/size]
  9. [size=small]Wait for Rockbox to return to the main menu (might take like half a minute sometimes)[/size]
  10. [size=small]Shut down Rockbox by holding the play button for several seconds[/size]
[size=small]Congratulations, you have successfully installed emCORE and Rockbox![/size]

[/size]

[size=small]This is for Windows OS BTW: [/size]
http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation/iPodClassic/DFUiTunes

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #119 of 3,645
My opinion is that people who get upset over what are essentially magic words are the ones with the maturity problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back