Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Mar 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #2,987 of 3,645
  Hi All,
I have been able to get the USB DFU Device set up as the documentation says. Hoever, I can't "see" it from Windows Explorer.
I've messed with this on and off for a couple of days now.
Two questions:

1. Is there a way to get back to zero with my ipod classic and start the process over?
Or,
2. Does someone know of a "trick" I've missed once the DFU driver is installed to get Windows (Win 7 Prof) to see the USB drive (my classic)?
Thanks,
Stephen P.

I ended up going to my Linux boot and following the instructions there. The python usb libraries worked perfectly and I'm now loading my flacs on to my IPod Classic!

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,988 of 3,645
  I ended up going to my Linux boot and following the instructions there. The python usb libraries worked perfectly and I'm now loading my flacs on to my IPod Classic!

That's good to know for Mac and Windows 8 users.  Maybe a Linux Rescue CD could be used, thus no install would be needed.  Just speculation, of course, but might be worth exploring.  Some knowledge of getting around Linux would be required.

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #2,989 of 3,645

That's good to know for Mac and Windows 8 users.  Maybe a Linux Rescue CD could be used, thus no install would be needed.  Just speculation, of course, but might be worth exploring.  Some knowledge of getting around Linux would be required.

You are right... some knowledge of Linux is needed to get EMCore on the Classic. It really was just a couple of extra downloads and python installs, making sure all the .py files were in the same folder and it worked. I don't know how to do it, but a really small Linux distro with the extra stuff built in and a startup script that assumes you have an IPod connected would probably do it. I'd be more interested in the process used to get the Classic to this point and why it is so hard to incorporate into RB what's needed to just use RB to do the install.
Great Toys!
Stephen

Apr 1, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #2,993 of 3,645
I've read about someone wanting to play Doom on the Classic a few pages back here. I found the cause of it getting stuck on loading and found a workaround for it. Seems like there is some timing functionality which Doom wants to use, but isn't implemented in the Classic-Version of Rockbox. However, you can use the timer which is used by the Rockbox-Emulators to get Doom running. That is what I did and Doom seems to be running just fine!

Since I've done this a year ago and don't have the source for my fixes anymore I can't upload then, but I still have that firmware on my iPod, so here is the fixed binary of the Doom-Plugin:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-8772851/doom.rock.html
(It's the smallest downloadbutton you can find in the middle of that site, the bigger ones are ads, don't be fooled!)

The file goes to ".rockbox\rocks\games" on your iPod.

Have fun, and please tell me if it works for you!

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #2,994 of 3,645
Please guys give me some encouragement. I like open source software and like to test stuff with risks. But i am really disappointed with Rockbox because ehm, maybe i just read old posts, i got a iPod Classic 7G 160 GB and i didnt' really want to settle for an ipod , i just fell for the hype since i saw no other player with 160gb on a price, now i feel regret of it but i want to love and make the best of this player, so I chose to be open minded for even the crappiest Rockbox, however I want to have the most speedy Rockbox possible. And stable so far.

Please just give me a good version which has the inverted stereo channels fixed in the right place AND works fast. It can not have good themes or any of that stuff. I just want the best quality I can get out of an iPod.

Rockbox for iPod Classic 7g 160GB
It is too damn slow, sometimes after playing a song it takes 10 seconds to PAUSE, so little response. I found some version that had it fixed but was dreaded with the left + right stereo channels swapping bug which I really want fixed.

Also when i keep pressing the treble and bass settings, which I LOVE to play around with, it crashes with a almost-never-ending beep sound... (happened with old versions, doesn't happen that much on newers). I like to experiment and find it pretty sad. I know i can't expect perfection at all, but i don't need perfection, i just need to get a tiny teeny more CLEAR sound quality from the headphone jack ... and i'm not using ****ty earphones that came with the iPod,  i hate that stuff...

Please help me and i will gladly join the Rockbox legion again. Thank you :D

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #2,995 of 3,645
  Please guys give me some encouragement. I like open source software and like to test stuff with risks. But i am really disappointed with Rockbox because ehm, maybe i just read old posts, i got a iPod Classic 7G 160 GB and i didnt' really want to settle for an ipod , i just fell for the hype since i saw no other player with 160gb on a price, now i feel regret of it but i want to love and make the best of this player, so I chose to be open minded for even the crappiest Rockbox, however I want to have the most speedy Rockbox possible. And stable so far.

Please just give me a good version which has the inverted stereo channels fixed in the right place AND works fast. It can not have good themes or any of that stuff. I just want the best quality I can get out of an iPod.

Rockbox for iPod Classic 7g 160GB
It is too damn slow, sometimes after playing a song it takes 10 seconds to PAUSE, so little response. I found some version that had it fixed but was dreaded with the left + right stereo channels swapping bug which I really want fixed.

Also when i keep pressing the treble and bass settings, which I LOVE to play around with, it crashes with a almost-never-ending beep sound... (happened with old versions, doesn't happen that much on newers). I like to experiment and find it pretty sad. I know i can't expect perfection at all, but i don't need perfection, i just need to get a tiny teeny more CLEAR sound quality from the headphone jack ... and i'm not using ****ty earphones that came with the iPod,  i hate that stuff...

Please help me and i will gladly join the Rockbox legion again. Thank you :D

Felt the same way 2-3 years ago until I discovered Rockbox. Then my Classic was reborn and I still use it every single day.
The Emcore versions I'd recommend are r859 and r862. As for the version of Rockbox, I use new daily builds.
In Emcore you can set to auto boot Rockbox, that saves a bit of time. I'm not sure, but you might be able to make it a bit faster by manually removing the games and apps from the .rockbox-folder. The original firmware has this hibernate function, compared to that Rockbox boots somewhat slowly on the Classic. I've set my Classic to auto resume playback upon booting, from fully switched off to hearing music takes 9 seconds.

And remember, Rockbox is firmware/software. It gives you complete freedom to adjust the device according to your preferences, but it doesn't magically increase the quality of the headphone jack :)

Edit: 200 pages and almost 3000 posts; this thread got big
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #2,997 of 3,645

Would these be better (for general speed and battery life) than the famous aroldan builds?

Before I would've said said 'yes' to the first part, and 'depends' to the second. Now I noticed that after quite some time aroldan uploaded a new build a week ago. Unfortunately my Classic can't handle the undervolt in it, so I have to stick to the daily builds. Those are fast, rock stable and give a good battery life. You might get that bit of extra playtime from aroldans build if your Classic doesn't freeze from the 950 mV like mine does (daily builds have 1050 mV).

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #2,998 of 3,645

Before I would've said said 'yes' to the first part, and 'depends' to the second. Now I noticed that after quite some time aroldan uploaded a new build a week ago. Unfortunately my Classic can't handle the undervolt in it, so I have to stick to the daily builds. Those are fast, rock stable and give a good battery life. You might get that bit of extra playtime from aroldans build if your Classic doesn't freeze from the 950 mV like mine does (daily builds have 1050 mV).

Could you elaborate on this a little please? I didn't realise there was any under-volting involved..

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #2,999 of 3,645

Unless I'm looking at the wrong site, I think the last build he did is over a year old.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back