Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Feb 7, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #2,926 of 3,645

Hmm. I used virtual XP, but that didn't solve my problem. Try the installation from another machine if you can.

thanks but cant even get it into umsboot now
mad.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #2,927 of 3,645
r859 is the latest I could get. I know there are some builds after this version but the links I can find seem no longer available. By the way, I used a Windows XP running on a virtual machine on top of a Mac OS X. The USB connection/mount could really get flaky.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #2,928 of 3,645
r859 is the latest I could get. I know there are some builds after this version but the links I can find seem no longer available. By the way, I used a Windows XP running on a virtual machine on top of a Mac OS X. The USB connection/mount could really get flaky.

i think they started having build problems starting r868 im not quite sure if they managed to put out newer ubi releases than r868 as it has been buried by the newer ubi-less builds

Feb 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #2,929 of 3,645
Hello guys,
I just bought a used iPod Classic 120GB (2G) and installed Rockbox on it a day after. It works like a charm (kudos to every single person involved!)...
...except Doom. You probably are aware of that bug. When you click play, the OS get stuck while "Starting graphics engine" (http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/12721 - not my bug report though).
I tried to search a solution but found nothing useful. Well, in this thread there are some hints that turning of "user timer" fixes it, but I don't really understand what to do.
Can anybody help me?

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #2,930 of 3,645
  Hello guys,
I just bought a used iPod Classic 120GB (2G) and installed Rockbox on it a day after. It works like a charm (kudos to every single person involved!)...
...except Doom. You probably are aware of that bug. When you click play, the OS get stuck while "Starting graphics engine" (http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/12721 - not my bug report though).
I tried to search a solution but found nothing useful. Well, in this thread there are some hints that turning of "user timer" fixes it, but I don't really understand what to do.
Can anybody help me?

i also , tested on Ipod Classic 160GB (7G) on "rockbox-ipod6g.zip" latest file from rockbox.org page, trying to launch Doom, tried it on older versions, same result, i tried once before on a older version, and somehow it went past the graphics engine but quickly hanged at the line after ... please fix this ... DOOM is the father of proper FPS games and it would sure rock to play it on a Classic.. :)
also please help !!!!!
i am using latest build "rockbox-ipod6g.zip" from rockbox.org and i get Left and Right music channels swapped!!! i used to think the sound was dull now i realized it's because Rockbox is swapping the sound!! when i play it in Foobar2000 on my Windows 7 64-bit desktop, on the same headphones (JVC FLATS HA-160B black, from Amazon) it plays fine!!! but i notice in Kendrick Lamar's "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe" using the same MP3 file the bling at the beginning plays normally on the right on my PC but on the Rockbox'ed classic it plays on the left ... so everything doesn't sound naturally stereo separated... please i don't know how to apply .patch file so please help me the poor man. i NEED my music in TRUE STEREO!!! thank you :) :) :)

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,932 of 3,645
I almost blinked when I saw the emCore installation page, but I just double-checked the Rockbox forums, and going by what I'm reading here, after installing emCORE, we can finally use Rockbox Utility.

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,48003.0.html

Found out here: http://www.freemyipod.org/wiki/EmCORE_Installation/iPodClassic/UMSboot

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #2,935 of 3,645
I so want to install this on my 7th gen but it scares the hell out of me lol.
I was running it on a 4th gen imod no worries but for some reason after reading bits ams pieces on here it scares me lol

I feel the exact same way. After reading as much as I could on this thread, I've come to the conclusion that it's just too temperamental for me to want to try. Sucks too because drag and drop and EQ sound so good to me. :frowning2:

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #2,936 of 3,645
It's good to be cautious, but if you follow the steps you should be allright. In case you mess up it's very very likely you'll be able to recover using iTunes to the OF. Once Emcore is succesfully installed you're safe, and you can mess up Rockbox as much as you want, holding down the menu and select key for seven seconds will reboot the Classic and bring you back to the bootmenu. I've used r859 ever since the day it came out, not a single crash or reboot for me. On the original firmware on the other hand....

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #2,937 of 3,645
So I installed Rockbox, and I love the features so far. That being said, the battery on my ipod drains really fast now. Does anyone have any suggestions for a specific build or changes I can make to alleviate this? I am running Emcore r859 and a daily build from January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back