Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Mar 7, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #481 of 3,645
Quote:
Any more word on docks? Are folks having luck with analogue docks? Digital docks (or "transporters", like the Onkyo ND-S1)? I'd like to get a Pure i20, but won't go to original software to be able to use it.

Rockbox will not work with iAP devices. This includes the Pure i20, Fostex HP-P1, CLAS, Wadia etc. This is because Rockbox does not have the capability to be in 'USB communication mode' with the iAP device and 'play mode' at the same time. It would be nice if the Rockbox guys could find a way to program around this but it may not be easy.

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #482 of 3,645
I have used my Rockboxed Nano with an iHome Dock:

http://www.rockbox.org/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2006-10/0295.shtml

All you need to do is hold down the menu button while plugging the player into the device (fiddly, I know).

This trick ism meant to allow users to listen to music while charging the device, but it did actually work with my iHome dock...I was pleasantly surprised. It might be worth trying with one of the other docks you mention...

Mar 7, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #483 of 3,645
mine works with a normal sony ipod docking station, hold menu when inserting. But i dont think it works to take digital out.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #484 of 3,645
From what I recall, line out is working perfectly so we can use amps and LOD's and such. However, digital output is NOT working so things like fostex hpp1 and CLAS and any of those newfangled recievers with ipod support and the fancy rich-person cars that have hard drives in the dashboard for media storage and ipod interface support will not work.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #485 of 3,645
Alright guys, i took the plunge but Im rather confused at this point. I got to the point where it wants me to click "rockbox-ipod.zip" or w/e the file was and extract the .rockbox directory to my ipod. I know I am supposed to get the dropbox file instead because that is the one with all patches and stuff applied. However, do I extract the entire directory to the root of the ipod or do I extract the stuff from rockbox.zip/.rockbox onto the root of the ipod?

I'm not sure if that rockbox.zip has patches applied or if the patches get applied on boot or somehing...

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #486 of 3,645
i extracted all first then copied rockbox folder to ipod.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #487 of 3,645
I have so far just gone into the folder with all patches to find rockbox.zip, then I extracted the .rockbox folder from rockbox.zip and put it on the root. I havent put any patches or other folders on the root of the ipod.

Here is the version info from rockbox-info.txt that is currently on my ipod:

Target: ipod6g
Target id: 71
Target define: -DIPOD_6G
Memory: 64
CPU: arm
Manufacturer: s5l8702
Version: d8fd988M-120222
Binary: rockbox.ipod
Binary size: 629572
Actual size: 629564
RAM usage: 1730580
Features: accessory_supply:backlight_brightness:crossfade:dircache:headphone_detection:hold_button:hotkey:lcd_bitmap:lcd_non-mono:lcd_color:lcd_sleep:morse_input:pitchscreen:quickscreen:rtc:swcodec:tagcache:tc_ramcache:charging:usb_charging_enable:wheel_acceleration:lineout_poweroff:large_plugin_buffer:albumart:scrollwheel:usb_power:usbstack:hardware_click
gcc: arm-elf-eabi-gcc (GCC) 4.4.4
ld: GNU ar (GNU Binutils) 2.20.1.20100303
Host gcc: gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3) 4.6.1
Host system: Linux

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #488 of 3,645
so it works fine? Good, hope you enjoy rockbox as much as i do.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #489 of 3,645
Thanks. From what I can see, the iHome is just a charging + play dock. That will work. The issue with the iAP devices is more complex as the iPods actually engage in digital USB communication with them as they play. I tried the Menu button trick (and every other possible button) during the connection of my Rockboxed Classic with my Solo and it didn't work. Rockbox always displayed the USB screen while communicating with the Solo which made it unusable as a player. I'm back to using my Classic's OF with the Solo unless and until this gets resolved. It's too bad - I love Rockbox. - especially the Active Playlist.

Quote:
I have used my Rockboxed Nano with an iHome Dock:

http://www.rockbox.org/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2006-10/0295.shtml

All you need to do is hold down the menu button while plugging the player into the device (fiddly, I know).

This trick ism meant to allow users to listen to music while charging the device, but it did actually work with my iHome dock...I was pleasantly surprised. It might be worth trying with one of the other docks you mention...

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #490 of 3,645
Things seem to be working fine on my end. I'm assuming I did things the correct way. I had a minor listen yesterday and noticed that there is a "Line Out" option that can be turned on and off. I recommend keeping headphone amp volume at 0 and turning on line out dock. This should maximize battery time.

Regarding battery life, I think the rockbox battery setting is actually incorrect in terms of how big it thinks the ipod battery is and how long it thinks it can discharge the battery for. I would recommend going into system settings and changing that battery capacity to the correct number, restarting rockbox, and then using it once or twice until the battery is completely dead so that the internal hardware can record the battery life properly.

I have noticed no channel switching problems yet but I havent been listening to music I am familiar with very much.

I will be testing themes and fonts a bit later on, but this weekend is somewhat hectic.

If there are any other bugs you guys know of, can you please let me know so that I can keep a watch out for them?

Thanks

Mar 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #491 of 3,645
Also confirmed working on the Logitech s135i dock, same trick by holding a random button down while placing it on the dock. Volume control is still separated but charging while playing works fine.

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #492 of 3,645
anyone know the right capacity (MAH) for a 7G classic?

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #494 of 3,645

Quote:
anyone know the right capacity (MAH) for a 7G classic?

I think the thick 160gb classic is higher capacity than the thin models. I found somewhere that the original battery for the thin models is 580mah. That's what I have rockbox set to right now. However, if anyone has other thoughts on this please chime in.

Nate

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #495 of 3,645

Quote:
I think the thick 160gb classic is higher capacity than the thin models. I found somewhere that the original battery for the thin models is 580mah. That's what I have rockbox set to right now. However, if anyone has other thoughts on this please chime in.

Nate

i can't get above 500 on mine:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back