Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Mar 11, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #496 of 3,645
No joy with my 160g classic (thin - bought 1 month ago) and the Creative S715i battery-powered ipod dock. I've tried holding "menu" while inserting the ipod, holding "select" and even tried combination buttons. I've tried this with "line out" in the settings turned on and off. Anyone have other ideas? I can play through the headphone port connected to the Aux in the Creative, but the idea was to have a portable, plug and play system for the ipod. 

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #497 of 3,645
thanks for the capacity value. Mine works fine on my sony dock.

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #498 of 3,645
Is this just a problem with certain docks (and digital output)? I mean, if I buy an RCA LOD to connect my Rockboxed iPod to my HiFi stereo system, will I even have to do that "Menu button thing"? 

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #499 of 3,645
Alright, so I will try to clarify this dock issue for those experiencing it. There seems to be 3 distinct types of ipod docks.

1) Straight LOD. The ipod maintains full control over what song is playing. The ipod can charge. The ipod is outputting via Line Out audio. The dock itself has 0 control over anything. The most common type of output that is seen with this is what people use with their portable rigs. An LOD going to an amp.
2) Line out with digital ipod controller. This is when the dock itself has a forward/back/play/pause and/or a remote or something and the dock can be used to control the ipod. The ipod gets put into a "client mode". The ipod will still output via line out, headphone amp will be disabled or muted by the dock. The dock uses digital signals sent to the ipod in order to control the ipod. The dock might even go so far as to display what song is currently playing on the ipod.
3) Ipod is in full client mode and the device is in host mode. The ipod cannot be interacted with in any way and is instead controlled entirely by the host device. This could be something like a reciever or something like CLAS, which transfers the actual mp3 or alac or aac file off of the ipod into onboard storage space, decrypts the file to its original aac/mp3/alac format, passes the DRM tests/checks, and then decodes the file using its own onboard hardware. Another example is car recievers which can trasfer files off of the ipod and onto an internal hard drive. A final example is devices like the new Pioneer recievers that can interact with ipod or android via USB and decrypt ipod music files, the same way Wadia iTransport does.

Options 2 and 3 will not work with rockbox. The only thing that will work with rockbox is option 1, which only works because it is a hardware line out from the DAC chip. Since the other devices/docks you guys are mentioning are trying to communicate specifically with ipod firmware and meeting rockbox instead, the devices are getting confused and thus not recognizing the ipod. You will not have any luck with this until rockbox people manage to either have the ipod firmware mimmicked by rockbox or until the ipod can be dual booted.

Hope that clarifies things.

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #500 of 3,645
Thank you very much. That clarified it all. 
smile.gif

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #501 of 3,645

Guys, I need some help please. I am a Canadian based in Shanghai.I want to play with this new version on my Classic (160GB thin). Unfortunately DropBox seems to be blocked in China. (I can get to the EmCORE pages and to the Rockbox pages.)

I messaged User89 but I don't think that he is on here much. If someone is willing to email me the new Rockbox zip file with all the patches, please PM me. I will reply with my email address which can receive large zip files.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #502 of 3,645
Guys, I need some help please. I am a Canadian based in Shanghai.I want to play with this new version on my Classic (160GB thin). Unfortunately DropBox seems to be blocked in China. (I can get to the EmCORE pages and to the Rockbox pages.)

I messaged User89 but I don't think that he is on here much. If someone is willing to email me the new Rockbox zip file with all the patches, please PM me. I will reply with my email address which can receive large zip files.

Thanks in advance!

I got you homie. message me and i'll see if i can ompload it or something for you.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #504 of 3,645
Great-- I have copied over the patched version and will try it today. I have an 80gb classic from 2008. I mostly have FLAC on my ipod as I collect live bootlegs.  So I will be trying FLAC constantly at work today to test the battery life. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #506 of 3,645

Quote:
there's a new build available at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26417574/rockbox_builds/rockbox-ipod6g-d8fd988M-120222-with_patches.zip

it includes the most recent rockbox source code (as of now) + some patches that are included in the archive for reference.

ipod6g_charger-v1.patch
ipod6g_cpu_freq-v2.patch
ipod6g_holdswitch_poll-v1.patch
ipod6g_lcd_sleep-v2.patch
ipod6g_max_vol_cap.patch
ipod6g_swap_audio_channels-v2.patch

please test and comment!

Just to double check, this is the latest rockbox port?

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #507 of 3,645
Installation was easy and it is working great.

I am quite impressed with the included cabbieV2 theme although the font is a bit small for my eyes and making it bigger bungs up the WPS.

I highly recommend the AluminArt theme which was my favorite on the iPod Video and works great on the Classic. I suggest opening the .cfg file and changing two settings:

Make the font bold:

Quote:
font: /.rockbox/fonts/18-Adobe-Helvetica-Bold.fnt

And turn the status bar on:

statusbar: on

I am truly grateful to everyone who has worked to make this available on the Classic.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #508 of 3,645
I switched to the ipod system last night...simply because the battery last really short after rockboxed..

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #510 of 3,645
im guessing you just drag the fliles/folders 

.rockbox
patches applied
rockbox.elf (not sure about patches and this elf file???)

over into the root of the ipod copy over the files and its ok(well at least mine is saying the newer build in infos)

I think you just have to backup when you are booting a new version of emcore?? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back