Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 25, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #3,211 of 3,645
  I just installed Rockbox on my 7th gen 160gb and I'm having some issues that hopefully someone can help me resolve!

Rockbox seems to working fine on my iPod, I can open it up and it runs smoothly.  When I plug it into my desktop it shows up under "Devices and Printers" as "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver;" however, it doesn't show up at all under My Computer so I can't open it up to drop in files. I tried updating iTunes, closing all apple related processes, and restarting the iPod while connected and nothing has worked.

I plugged the iPod into my laptop, which doesn't have iTunes, and it popped up under My Computer. I was able to open it up once, but it kept freezing and taking forever to open.  I tried to install iTunes on the laptop to get the iPod driver in hopes that it would work, but right after installing, the iPod does not show up anymore under My Computer.  

As far as I can tell, I've tried everything under the "My computer is not recognizing my Rockboxed iPod Classic!" section at the start of this thread. 

Does anyone know of any solution to this? 

Thank you!

In my experience it's a bit hit or miss with showing up under My Computer. It's also unpredictable in the daily builds recently, so I'm guessing there is a lot of work going on (and hopefully Rockbox 3.14 will be released soon with full support for the Classic in the Rockbox Utility
smile_phones.gif
)
What did help me before was to delete the Rockbox settings in the Emcore menu. And finally, the most reliable work around for me is to boot the fallback image from the Emcore menu, and then connect to a PC. It takes a bit of extra time, but I can at least access the iPod this way.

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #3,212 of 3,645
r100, you are a savior! I spent a good five hours trying to figure this out and couldn't.  Running the fallback image from the boot menu did it for me finally.  Thank you so much for the help!

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #3,213 of 3,645
  r100, you are a savior! I spent a good five hours trying to figure this out and couldn't.  Running the fallback image from the boot menu did it for me finally.  Thank you so much for the help!

Glad I could help! Don't forget to shut down the fallback image afterwards and boot your 'normal' newer daily build for playback, the battery lasts much longer on these builds than it does on the fallback image.

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #3,214 of 3,645
  If I am not mistaken I am still using the 110111 build for my ipod 7g/160gb. Recently, I obtained another 7g/160gb running Apple's iOS. I am surprised that how the ipod is more responsive and power efficient than the one rockboxed. 

Is the latest RB build more power efficient? 

Yes it is. If you are running 110111 you need to update to Emcore version r859 (released 2012-01-02) before you can use the newer builds.

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #3,215 of 3,645

Yes it is. If you are running 110111 you need to update to Emcore version r859 (released 2012-01-02) before you can use the newer builds.

Sorry I remembered it wrong.  I am actually usinging build 130110 already running Emcore r859. If there is a build more power efficient, I would like to update only if I don't have to wipe the whole drive losing all the music files.

BTW, thanks for the tip on fallback image to get the classic recognized. I tried and it seems really working that way. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #3,216 of 3,645
Can updating to a new daily build affect the sound quality on an Ipod Classic 6th Gen?

Not sure if it is my imagination but the latest build seems to have affected the sound quality making is very slightly worse, including a slight off balance to the balance.

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #3,217 of 3,645
  Can updating to a new daily build affect the sound quality on an Ipod Classic 6th Gen?

Not sure if it is my imagination but the latest build seems to have affected the sound quality making is very slightly worse, including a slight off balance to the balance.

No it cannot, although changing the balance option would change the balance.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #3,219 of 3,645
Rockbox users! I recently purchased a portable amp/DAC that shakes hands with iDevices. Whenever I try to use the LOD from my RBed iPod 5.5 though, it automatically switches to USB mode and I can't browse or play my music. Is there a way to circumvent this?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #3,220 of 3,645
Since it has been said a lot of time I kinda feel bad to repeat it but Rockbox'ed IPC doesn't have digital out. It has only analog out so you can't connect it to DAC/AMPs but you can connect it to AMPs. Line out - Line in, that's all.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #3,221 of 3,645
  Rockbox users! I recently purchased a portable amp/DAC that shakes hands with iDevices. Whenever I try to use the LOD from my RBed iPod 5.5 though, it automatically switches to USB mode and I can't browse or play my music. Is there a way to circumvent this?

Thanks in advance!

If it is the iPod that is switching to USB mode, then you need to keep the MENU button pressed when you insert the device into the iPod connector. Otherwise it is what AmberOzL said.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #3,223 of 3,645
Does the fact that it's an iPod video affect the digital out compatibility?

No, digital out over USB isn't implemented on any device.  For devices specifically branded to work with iPods (as opposed to regular USB DACs) its probably not even possible to implement unless Apple somehow leaks its encryption keys. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #3,225 of 3,645
Yes but when you install Rockbox you lose digital out, you have only line out. I am not sure but I think it is due to the not 100% complete Rockbox integration.

It would have been sweet to hook it up with Theorem720 but, I can't really return back to Apple's firmware, it is waaaay too s**ty. Rockbox FTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back