Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Nov 12, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #3,227 of 3,645
Hey Guys, I'm having an issue installing EmCORE. In fact, I'm not even progressing past the first phase in the installation.

I'm following the steps one by one, as described on the FreeMyIpod website:
  • Connect your iPod to your computer
  • Make sure iTunes is closed
  • Kill "AppleMobileDeviceService.exe" using the task manager
  • Open the task manager (press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC)
  • Click on the "Processes" tab
  • Choose "AppleMobileDeviceService.exe"
  • Press the "End Process" button
  • Press "End Process" to confirm
  • Do the same for "iTunesHelper.exe"
  • Make sure the hold switch is not locked
  • Press and hold the menu and select buttons for between 10 and 15 seconds - click here for a how-to video. The iPod will show an apple logo after about 5 seconds, keep holding the buttons until it seems to turn off completely The display of your iPod should now stay black, and a new USB device called "Apple Recovery (DFU) USB Driver" should connect to your PC.
  • Wait for the driver installation to complete
  • Run bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes.exe

Now, step 11 is the problem. I press menu and select, the apple comes, then the iPod shuts down...and that's it. No new USB device called "apple recovery..." appears as connected to my PC. Why?

Backgroud: iPod 7g (brand new just out of the box), Windows 8.1, original apple cable.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!!

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #3,228 of 3,645
Little update: I tried to run bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes.exe anyway, even if I saw no device connected and the iPod was completely turned off. I got both an error and a success message, my ipod turned on, on the "bright apple" screen, but with about a third of screen on the left missing, just with a big black bar. The computer made the sound of a device being plugged in, but again, no 64mb drive called UMSboot was anywhere showing up.

What's going on??

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #3,229 of 3,645
OK, apologies for the needless alarm, problem solved.

It just took another two iPod resets and repeated attempts and eventually the UMSboot partition showed up in my file explorer after running bootstrap_ipodclassic_itunes.exe.

Perhaps might be useful to put a disclaimer on the guide that it might take a few tries? 

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #3,230 of 3,645
Sorry people, it's me again. So I managed to move my entire music folder earlier (about 120GB) and it all worked out fine. I've been using it for a bit and all works pretty well. 

However, just now I tried to reconnect the iPod to my laptop in order to move a couple of smaller audio files (audiobooks). They are fairly small files, about 35MB each. The iPod is recognized fine, and the transfer begins, but it only proceeds for a couple of seconds, and then remains stuck forever. I managed to move a picture (1.2MB) and that was small enough to work. But anything bigger just hangs, and I need to reboot the iPod to make it work. Am I doing something wrong here?

Nov 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #3,234 of 3,645
So it turns out that the problems my iPod had are caused by an HDD problem. Diagnostic page gives a very high number of "reallocs" which is a very bad sign.

I have one question to you guys: is there any possible way that the failure of the HDD was caused by me, installing emCORE and Rockbox? I mean, the iPod was *brand new*, I opened the box and started the Rockboxing operation straight away. It's not a smoking gun, but it seems reasonable to me to ask myself: is there a connection here between me playing around with the firmware and the HDD failing?

it turns out my iPod is still in Warranty (no ****, it was new), and I really hope I'll manage to get a replacement. I really, really want it to be Rockboxed (as koan1011 says, it is just so much better), but if I end up screwing up another new iPod... I don't know, I guess I just want some reassurance that it was a faulty item and that Rockbox can in no way screw up an hard drive.

Anyone?
Thanks!

Nov 15, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #3,235 of 3,645
  So it turns out that the problems my iPod had are caused by an HDD problem. Diagnostic page gives a very high number of "reallocs" which is a very bad sign.

I have one question to you guys: is there any possible way that the failure of the HDD was caused by me, installing emCORE and Rockbox? I mean, the iPod was *brand new*, I opened the box and started the Rockboxing operation straight away. It's not a smoking gun, but it seems reasonable to me to ask myself: is there a connection here between me playing around with the firmware and the HDD failing?

it turns out my iPod is still in Warranty (no ****, it was new), and I really hope I'll manage to get a replacement. I really, really want it to be Rockboxed (as koan1011 says, it is just so much better), but if I end up screwing up another new iPod... I don't know, I guess I just want some reassurance that it was a faulty item and that Rockbox can in no way screw up an hard drive.

Anyone?
Thanks!

My Ipod was over a year old before I rockboxed it. Although I hadn't really used it much in that time as I didn't like the sound quality of MP3s with the original firmware.

Since I've rockboxed it, I've listened to it a lot more and so far the HD is working OK. I don't know if RB uses the HD more than the original firmware. I do notice it spinning up more at startup but I doubt that will make a difference.

I'd recommend using your next Ipod with the original firmware for a while just to make sure it isn't a hardware problem first.

IMO It is worth Rockboxing Ipods as they are so much better than with the original firmware.

MP3s sound much better and the ability to play FLAC is great, but the best thing of all time, is being able to get rid of ITUNES. :)

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #3,236 of 3,645
My Ipod was over a year old before I rockboxed it. Although I hadn't really used it much in that time as I didn't like the sound quality of MP3s with the original firmware.

Since I've rockboxed it, I've listened to it a lot more and so far the HD is working OK. I don't know if RB uses the HD more than the original firmware. I do notice it spinning up more at startup but I doubt that will make a difference.

I'd recommend using your next Ipod with the original firmware for a while just to make sure it isn't a hardware problem first.

IMO It is worth Rockboxing Ipods as they are so much better than with the original firmware.

MP3s sound much better and the ability to play FLAC is great, but the best thing of all time, is being able to get rid of ITUNES. :)

Exactly. I've been a Mediamonkey user for years now, and now that I've had to download iTunes for the installation procedure i was truly appalled at how awful the new iTunes is (not that it was great 5 years ago). Not to mention the inability to even read FLACs. I could sync it with MM, but as you say, it's the whole ipod experience that is improved when rockboxed. Amazing how much better (for example) it sounds giving it a couple of Db of emphasis on the bass frequencies as opposed to the abysmal "Bass Booster" of the Apple firmware...

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #3,237 of 3,645
The Apple firmware is not bad, actually pretty good for the classic. You can plug the phones and play any time without the need to reboot. Battery performs better under Apple's firmware than under rockbox, with the RB build I used. 

Yes that iTunes sucks, and that's what kept me from using the Apple's firmware until I found MediaMonkey. MM is pretty good getting things loaded and unloaded, except it can't rename playlists which I think strange. 

In addition to playing FLAC's and supporting the CUE's, one great thing I like the Rockbox is the ability to create folders and sub folders. This is a big plus when you have a big collection of music and you can manage the files thru folders. With the Apple's firmware, you have to keep scrolling the click wheels for playlists/albums/songs. That's quite a task when you have so much music to go thru.

Nov 20, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #3,238 of 3,645
  I just installed Rockbox on my 7th gen 160gb and I'm having some issues that hopefully someone can help me resolve!

Rockbox seems to working fine on my iPod, I can open it up and it runs smoothly.  When I plug it into my desktop it shows up under "Devices and Printers" as "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver;" however, it doesn't show up at all under My Computer so I can't open it up to drop in files. I tried updating iTunes, closing all apple related processes, and restarting the iPod while connected and nothing has worked.

I plugged the iPod into my laptop, which doesn't have iTunes, and it popped up under My Computer. I was able to open it up once, but it kept freezing and taking forever to open.  I tried to install iTunes on the laptop to get the iPod driver in hopes that it would work, but right after installing, the iPod does not show up anymore under My Computer.  

As far as I can tell, I've tried everything under the "My computer is not recognizing my Rockboxed iPod Classic!" section at the start of this thread. 

Does anyone know of any solution to this? 

Thank you!

Do not use fake usb cable, use ONLY the original usb cable, the one that comes with the ipod. I have several chineses usb cable here and none of them works, only charges. The original one uses 7 pins (Pin-1 for Ground, Pin-15 for Ground, Pin-16 for Ground, Pin-23 for +5V, Pin-25 for D-, and Pin-27 for D+) and the chineses use only 4 (normally Pins 16,23,25,27), these things make the whole difference. Check it out and tell us later on.

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #3,239 of 3,645
Good day all,
I've been running RB now for a while.
I've noticed on this thread that some on you have updated emCore fairly recently.
Is this a good idea? 
RB is running great. I should probably get an updated version of RB, but I really don't see the need.
Any insights would be appreciated.
SS

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #3,240 of 3,645
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. I have a 6.5g 120gb classic that I'm trying to put a 240gb msata drive into. After hours of taking the drive and and out and neither iTunes nor File Explorer seeing the new drive, I came here. Reading that perhaps its the iPod itself that isn't capable of seeing the 240gb drive unless it's rockboxed I've been attempting to RB the new drive. I can get it to the UMSboot step and the screen comes on and after I eject the drive, the screen gets stuck on "formatting". I don't know if it's because the drive is twice the size or if the ipod is still refusing to work with it, but I tried the stock 120gb drive and formatting lasted maybe 45 seconds, and now it's stuck for 30 minutes or better or the 240gb ssd. It's not the drive as I bought two of them and both worked fine in my 80gb 5.5g video and both show up as 223gb and process through itunes perfectly. I'll try to leave the drive in the formatting position I guess till the battery dies since the screen is staying on. Any suggestions? Or is my attempt to mSata SSD this 6.5g a worthless endeavor? I'd like to have the use of both since I keep them in my cars and don't want to have to swap em out every time I drive. Please help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back