Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 2, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #3,185 of 3,645
Oct 2, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3,186 of 3,645
Oct 2, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #3,188 of 3,645

Thank you! :)

Edit: maybe it's just me, but the LCD screen stays on when the hold switch is enabled

Check the backlight on hold setting. If it's set to normal. The backlight will only turn off after a timeout period. If set to on, backlight won't turn off ever is hold switch is activated. If you set to off, it will immediately turn off as soon as the hold switch is activated.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #3,190 of 3,645

I have just compiled another version which exclude the commit below.
It seems that it broke the hold detection.
iPod Classic: Fix bidirectional clickwheel communication.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wy26kk3njkmmr30/rockbox-9b57610M-141003.zip?dl=0

Thanks again.  With the previous build, the Classic was recognized immediately the first time I connected it, but subsequent attempts all failed.  Either the device was not assigned a logical drive letter, or it was, but I couldn't browse it.  I tried resetting while still connected (always works on my laptop), safely removing, which then required a reset, as it was stuck in USB mode, then reattaching, but no luck.  I did not try rebooting the PC or try a different USB port.  Curious to see if this new build behaves differently.  If not, I'll try the much older previous build I'd been running.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #3,191 of 3,645

Thanks again.  With the previous build, the Classic was recognized immediately the first time I connected it, but subsequent attempts all failed.  Either the device was not assigned a logical drive letter, or it was, but I couldn't browse it.  I tried resetting while still connected (always works on my laptop), safely removing, which then required a reset, as it was stuck in USB mode, then reattaching, but no luck.  I did not try rebooting the PC or try a different USB port.  Curious to see if this new build behaves differently.  If not, I'll try the much older previous build I'd been running.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have just tried to connect my iPod Classic with this build on Windows 8.1/Arch Linux/OSX Yosemite.
I can connect and eject it repeatedly without any issues on each OS mentioned above.
The drive is being recognized and works properly.

I hope that the problem is solved in this build.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #3,192 of 3,645

Thanks for your feedback.

I have just tried to connect my iPod Classic with this build on Windows 8.1/Arch Linux/OSX Yosemite.
I can connect and eject it repeatedly without any issues on each OS mentioned above.
The drive is being recognized and works properly.

I hope that the problem is solved in this build.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's good to know, and I didn't mean to imply the problem is with your build.  I've always had these connection issues, including, IIRC, the "frozen in USB mode, hard reset required" problem, though that one is rare.  I'll try it out later and post back.

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #3,193 of 3,645
I installed it yesterday on my ipod 5.5 80gb, i installed the 7c20d8f rev but i have a lot of problem with it. the database is really slow, it take me 20sec just to enter in a folder and a lot to start/stop music and after i took off the pc the disk is constantly spinning and i can't do anything or the player freeze :| i'm thinking to change to the standard build and see, it's impossible to use. anyone have some advice for me? thanks

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #3,194 of 3,645
  I installed it yesterday on my ipod 5.5 80gb, i installed the 7c20d8f rev but i have a lot of problem with it. the database is really slow, it take me 20sec just to enter in a folder and a lot to start/stop music and after i took off the pc the disk is constantly spinning and i can't do anything or the player freeze :| i'm thinking to change to the standard build and see, it's impossible to use. anyone have some advice for me? thanks

Wait, this build for the iPod Classic (6G) actually works on your iPod Video (5.5G)? Wow, didn't expect that! Anyway, it's better to use the specific port for the iPod Video:

iPod Video Development build
iPod Video Stable 3.13
Completely delete any existing Rockbox folder on your iPod and place one of these builds.

So yeah, this topic is about the iPod Classic Rockbox port :wink:

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #3,195 of 3,645

Wait, this build for the iPod Classic (6G) actually works on your iPod Video (5.5G)? 

No, he probably just doesn't realize what device he actually has.

Completely delete any existing Rockbox folder on your iPod and place one of these builds.

Don't delete the folder, just drag and drop on top of it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back