Ipod classic - rockbox - its happening.
Oct 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #1,745 of 3,645
Quote:
is it normal to hear the ipod restart noise sound every 4 mins?

Like others posted, we assume you mean the sound of the hard disk spinning up to load new songs and spin down a few seconds later.
This is normal behaviour as the flash memory is filled with songs until they're all played and the hard disk needs to be accessed again.
However, every 4 minutes is quite often, unless you're playing very high quality (+2,000kbps) music.

If you go to System -> Rockbox Info, you can see the buffer size (usually around 55-60MB). Based on the bitrate of your music you can now calculate how many minutes of music the flash memory can store.
Also make sure that your Directory Cache is enabled: Settings -> General Settings -> System -> Disk -> Directory Cache -> Yes

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,746 of 3,645
Quote:
Like others posted, we assume you mean the sound of the hard disk spinning up to load new songs and spin down a few seconds later.
This is normal behaviour as the flash memory is filled with songs until they're all played and the hard disk needs to be accessed again.
However, every 4 minutes is quite often, unless you're playing very high quality (+2,000kbps) music.

If you go to System -> Rockbox Info, you can see the buffer size (usually around 55-60MB). Based on the bitrate of your music you can now calculate how many minutes of music the flash memory can store.
Also make sure that your Directory Cache is enabled: Settings -> General Settings -> System -> Disk -> Directory Cache -> Yes

Interesting... Can that buffer size be increased? I?m wondering if it would be a good idea to increase the buffer size for those like me who are just using FLAC files?

Also, does anyone know if defragging the Classic's hard drive will improve it's performance (as it does in computer hard disk drives)?

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,747 of 3,645
Quote:

Interesting... Can that buffer size be increased? I?m wondering if it would be a good idea to increase the buffer size for those like me who are just using FLAC files?

Also, does anyone know if defragging the Classic's hard drive will improve it's performance (as it does in computer hard disk drives)?

The buffer size is all the free RAM on the system, so you can make it very slightly larger by not using things like the database.  But otherwise no, you have a fixed amount of RAM.

Defragging probably helps if the disk is highly fragmented, however since mp3 players a rarely written to except to copy music, they do not typically become fragmented unless you're using them as an external hard disk on the PC very frequently.

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #1,748 of 3,645
Quote:
The buffer size is all the free RAM on the system, so you can make it very slightly larger by not using things like the database.  But otherwise no, you have a fixed amount of RAM.

Defragging probably helps if the disk is highly fragmented, however since mp3 players a rarely written to except to copy music, they do not typically become fragmented unless you're using them as an external hard disk on the PC very frequently.

Thank you for your answer! About the defrag question, it makes sense, and I don't use my Classic as an external drive. It's just for my FLAC collection...

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #1,750 of 3,645
Quote:

oh yeah, that makes more sense...i though he was talking about some static

Quote:

Quote:

Do you mean the hard drive spinning noise or other?

same problem with me, but mine only when starting/booting, after play several minutes the noise is gone
not a static or harddisk spin noise, but  hiss noise... mine heard with UE TF10 (one of sensitive iem)

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #1,752 of 3,645
actually its great, but, sorry, too buggy for me, it's turn me mad sometimes while I enjoy played music, maybe will try it later after several fix and stable version of rockbox.

roll back to original firmware...

still use rockbox on my sansa clip+

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #1,754 of 3,645
Quote:
actually its great, but, sorry, too buggy for me, it's turn me mad sometimes while I enjoy played music, maybe will try it later after several fix and stable version of rockbox.

roll back to original firmware...

still use rockbox on my sansa clip+

Which Rockbox build were you suing, aroldan's or the "official" one?

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #1,755 of 3,645
Quote:

This only happens with the 3.Ai on the iPod? Have you tried the 3.Ai with another source or other IEMs wiith the iPod?

The 3.Ai's have no audible hiss at normal listening levels with my iPhone 4s. 

I havn't tested the iPod with other IEM's yet as I can't seem to find my SHE3590's at the moment but I will in the next day.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back